Should I be concerned about my local population?

Paul Harfield

Should I be concerned about my local population?

Post by Paul Harfield »

At the end of September last year (2011) Speckled Wood were particularly numerous in my local area :D In fact it was this observation, along a particular stretch of footpath, that re-awakened my interest in butterflies generally :D :D I returned to the same stretch of footpath on Sunday last and returned a count of zero for this species :( :shock: Should I be concerned by this :?:

Last September and also October were unusually warm as I recall, but I have no prior knowledge with which to compare notes. Is what I saw likely to have been an extra brood due to the mild conditions :?: I suppose we are still a couple of weeks away from the same time so I will keep checking the area. I have seen Speckled Wood in the location earlier in the year but not in large numbers.What have others seen in their local areas, any thoughts are appreciated.
Susie

Re: Should I be concerned about my local population?

Post by Susie »

Remember that we are running a couple of weeks later than last year. If the weather stays mild you may yet see them in good numbers.
David M

Post by David M »

I think Speckled Woods might have suffered from the appalling April and early May this year.

The warm March meant many had emerged early and it suddenly went very wet and cool for 6 whole weeks, making finding a mate more difficult as they would no doubt have been hunkered down much of the time.

Must admit I haven't seen many Green veined Whites lately and this may be due to the same reason.
EricY

Post by EricY »

Not that it is of any use to you, but I am still seeing good numbers of spec wood in our part of Norfolk. Eric
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Susie wrote:Remember that we are running a couple of weeks later than last year. If the weather stays mild you may yet see them in good numbers.
Thanks for the comments. I will certainly keep a close eye on them over the next few weeks.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

The Speckled Woods in my garden have been around all year in their approx usual numbers e.g 2-4 at most times but the normal June gap was a couple of weeks later than last year.
Cotswold Cockney

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

David M wrote:I think Speckled Woods might have suffered from the appalling April and early May this year.

The warm March meant many had emerged early and it suddenly went very wet and cool for 6 whole weeks, making finding a mate more difficult as they would no doubt have been hunkered down much of the time.

Must admit I haven't seen many Green veined Whites lately and this may be due to the same reason.
I think that's the reason that this year, the small resident breeding population in my garden, adjoining hedgerows and nearby gardens have been very few and far between this year. Maybe two or three only seen this September.

However, in my garden, all three species of the common whites are more numerous this autumn than for many a previous year. The Large White particularly so and females of both the smaller species actively seen seeking plants for their ova. The occasional Red Admiral, Peacock, Comma and Small Tortoiseshell are still about on the one or two remaining tatty Buddleia blossoms nearby.

Oh yes, one male Brimstone and I suspect a female seen passing through the garden the past month. The female did not stop but the male did briefly, settling on the outside of a Petunia flower making no attempt to feed. Unusual to see pre-hibernation Brimstones in the garden, more frequent in the spring.
Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

I checked the particular stretch of footpath in question on Sunday. I found only one (fairly fresh) Speckled Wood despite the weather being ideal, warm and sunny. I will keep checking whenever I get the opportunity.
Speckled Wood Hedge End 22.9.2012
Speckled Wood Hedge End 22.9.2012
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

I have been keeping an eye on my local Speckled Woods over the past few weeks without much good news :( Numbers as shown:
21.9.2012 - 0
22.9.2012 - 1
29.9.2012 - 2
6.10.2012 - 0
13.10.2012 - 0
So things do not look very promising. Next spring will be interesting. I even spent some time looking for larvae over the weekend, these were particularly easy to find this time last year. In the same area I found none on Saturday :(
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

On my patch about 30 miles NE of Hedge End, the numbers are down on last year but nothing to cause concern unlike my non-existent [un] Common Blues.

Return to “Speckled Wood”