New Tamron macro lens.

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Mikhail

New Tamron macro lens.

Post by Mikhail »

Tamron fans (I'm one) might like to know that Tamron have just announced a completely new 90mm macro with image stabilisation, ultrasonic motor and internal focusing. Naturally, it's a bit heavier than the current lens, but at 550g. still lighter than the Canon equivalent (625g) not to mention the even heavier Sigma and Nikon offerings. See:http://www.tamron.co.jp/en/news/release ... 913_2.html.
MikeOxon

Re: New Tamron macro lens.

Post by MikeOxon »

I've been using these lenses since the original 'Adaptall' f/2.5 model and have a high regard for their optical properties. This latest one seems to be a complete re-design; from the illustration, it looks as though the front element is now well forward, so the 'built-in' lenshood effect has been lost. I was intrigued to see the following statement on the Tamron e.u. website description: "From 3m, the benefits of VC ( Vibration Compensation) gradually decrease as the focus distance becomes closer." Does this mean that VC/VR/IS is generally useless for macro work?

Mike
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Does seem to be the case. Looks like the pixel war is now over, but the IS, VC etc war, is still raging. Even if its totally pointless, every lens will eventually get IS, has anyone done a IS fisheye yet. :?:

Regards Gruditch
JKT

Post by JKT »

As the formula is completely new, I would wait for reviews before ordering the new macro. The same applies to the new 70-200/2.8 with VC & USD, which interests me more than the new 90.
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Gruditch wrote: Even if its totally pointless, every lens will eventually get IS
If you'll forgive the smugness, Sony/Minolta users have IS on all lenses already :D
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

No you don't have IS, only Canon has IS, you have Super steady shoot ( a sensor wiggling about ) Sony/Minola don't even give a panning mode on their wildlife lenses, sorry lens. :lol:

Regards Gruditch
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I notice that Park Cameras are now listing this lens "competitive price TBC" but, further down the page, they list a 'bundle' consisting of the lens plus a Hoya filter for £844.11. If that's correct, it seems a hell of a price hike over the previous model :!:

Mike
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

Gruditch wrote:No you don't have IS, only Canon has IS, you have Super steady shoot ( a sensor wiggling about ) Sony/Minola don't even give a panning mode on their wildlife lenses, sorry lens. :lol:
no, but the camera is supposed to be able to detect panning & work accordingly ...
I've certainly never noticed a problem panning & I do a lot of aviation photography.
On the other hand lots of my friends with Canon & Nikon switch off IS/VR .
Tbh imo it's all swings & roundabouts with the different systems.

As for IS/VR etc. etc. at macro distances iirc Canon claim upto 2 stops at 1:1 versus upto 4 stops at greater distances on their 100 L IS & I seem to recall that Nikon actually recommend switching off VR at macro distance on their 105 VR Micro (I believe that this lens is noted for parking errors of the stabilised elements).

Return to “Photography”