First Post

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Wattsy

First Post

Post by Wattsy »

Hi all been lurking for a while and finally decided to get stuck in. I'm Matt from Lincoln just starting out after reading The Butterfly Isles (second-hand bookshop find). Mainly interested in the photography side but I've been told there are 28 species of butterfly that can be found in Lincolnshire and I'd quite like to see them all. Took these pics on the 7th on a cycle path near the River Witham, which I believe are a Comma, Speckled Wood, Green-Veined White and a Peacock, not uncommon I understand but still gratifying to identify and photograph when previously they would have been 'a red one' or 'a white one'. Looking forward to getting involved.

Images taken on Canon EOS400D, 18-55mm lens @ 55mm handheld no flash

Cheers
Matt
Paul Wetton

Re: First Post

Post by Paul Wetton »

Hi Matt and welcome to UKButterflies.

Nice photos especially with the standard lens. If you're after all the Lincolnshire butterflies Chambers Farm Wood will be a good place to go. I don't think Wood White breed there any more and Black Hairstreak are probably a thing of the past but Brown Hairstreak, Marbled White, White Admiral and possibly White-letter Hairstreak still reside there.

Probably best to get in touch with your local Butterfly Conservation branch who will have much more info.

All the best.
Cheers Paul

Post by Hugh Middleton »

Welcome Matt. I am in Lincoln too

Hugh
Wattsy

Post by Wattsy »

Yeah I'm looking at ways to get there (CFW) stuck with public transport at the minute though. Apparently Whisby Nature Reserve is quite good for them as well, and there's a small nature reserve (Greetwell Hollow) thats just down the road from my house
David M

Post by David M »

Warm welcome, Matt.

Return to “Photography”