Silver-Washed in the North West

David Tipping

Silver-Washed in the North West

Post by David Tipping »

Could anybody recommend a good site for Silver-Washed in the North West? I saw a single at Gait Barrows last year and realize they are at the Northern limit of their range and unlikely to be seen in numbers, but presumably there are places that offer more than just a remote chance? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
DJT
web4160

Post by web4160 »

I would think the only possibilities in the North West are in the Morecambe Bay area. Whitebarrow is listed in Discovering Butterflies in Britain as a possibility.

David
e.garnett

Post by e.garnett »

hi dave

i was at whitebarrow last weekend and saw maybe 4 or 5 in a clearing behind the school 2 were in good nick didnt get a photo

best

eric
David Tipping

Post by David Tipping »

Thanks David and Eric. It sounds like Whitebarrow is the place. I'd rather take a chance on finding them within reasonable travelling distance of home than face the long drive down south.
DJT
birdy43

silver-washed

Post by birdy43 »

anyone any sightings of silver-washed frits please, are they finished?, thinking of visiting wyre forest this week. thanks in advance.
web4160

Post by web4160 »

We visited Gait Barrows, Arnside Knott and Whitebarrow yesterday. The weather was not particularly good warm but overcast all day.

Gait Barrows produced the only SW Fritillary as well as Small Tortoiseshell, comma, peacock, speckled wood, Meadow Brown, large white and Red Admiral.

At Arnside Knott there were at least 50 Scotch Argus but little else except for a solutary meadow brown and a small heath.

Whitebarrow was a disapointment. We only saw two butterflies in total a very obliging speckled wood and what I think was a Purple Hairstreak which shot to the top of a tree before I could get a photo. We walked up to the top but saw nothing at all at the top.

David
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

25+ Silver-washed Fritillaries in east Somerset yesterday - the most common butterfly of the day - so they are not finished yet. This is 3 weeks after their peak last year. Is their flight time later this year?
nick patel

Post by nick patel »

1 at Warton crag a couple weeks ago.

Return to “General”