philm63

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
philm63

Re: philm63

Post by philm63 »

Thurs 9 August

Well what a day, lovely weather, best day for a long time. I had my meeting with the guy from the Environmental Trust at 4 so I drove over from my site to the main one, getting out of the car I had almost immediately Meadow Brown, Speckled Wood and a few whites as they meandered around the edges of the car park. Walked down towards the meeting point at the entrance to the plantation, and as I was a bit early passed further down. The Ragwort here were heavy with Cinnabar Moth larvae.
The plantation is not "old" as I was led to believe, it was actually planted in 1860. I was given a brief guided tour around the main parts, and it looks excellent. Huge trees but well spaced, no footpaths or roads. I will talk about it more after my first proper visit, hopefully this weekend. I didn't even get to fully see the lovely pond or the south facing warm slope today all which seemed excellent. Even though I was paying attention to my companion and trying to take it in, in the 30 minutes I was there I saw at least 30 Ringlet / Meadow Brown, what I think was a passing blue, a Common Blue Damselfly and in an excellent clearing 4 Small Skippers within two feet, at that point I had 7 butterflies in view. I have never seen more than two skippers at one time, this clearing may have held over a dozen if I'd wandered around. There is an excellent area of beech (Bramblings this winter), Alder in the wetter areas and some lovely stands of oak, so I am expecting more Purple Hairstreaks here.
Cinnabar Moth larvae
Cinnabar Moth larvae
After getting home and eating etc, the wife almost forced me to go out. It would be the last hour of full sunshine and am I glad she did. I headed to the old barn via the footpath around the fields from near home, the first part was quiet, then I entered the field by the barn, sticking close to the wall around the field I started to see the occasional Small Tortoiseshell, at the field corner I stayed following the wall as it headed dirctly to the barn. This wall faced the sun directly, and in 100 metres I had 11 Small Tortoiseshells. Practically every 10 metres there would be one sitting on the wall, all were very skittish, launching themselves at other pasing STs. It was hard to get any shots as they would just not stay still. An excellent 15 minutes. At the barn I then did the overgrown area that borders Heights Lane where the trucks have recently flattened part of the vegetation. More Small Tortoiseshell, a few Large Whites and Small Whites, a single Green-veined White, 3 or 4 Meadow Browns and a fresh Small Skipper. I have never seen so many Small Tortoiseshells in one day, never mind in a walk of around half a mile, I conservatively reckon at least 20 individuals (sorry Pauline!!). Went home the way I had arrived, savouring the STs again along the wall as the sun lowered itself to the horizon. Life can be good at times
Attachments
Small Tortoiseshell
Small Tortoiseshell
webDSCF3141.jpg
webDSCF3144.jpg
webDSCF3146.jpg
Small Skipper
Small Skipper
webDSCF3135.jpg
Green-veined White
Green-veined White
webDSCF3132.jpg

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
philm63

Post by philm63 »

Sat 11 August

The plantation

An initial visit to orientate myself. The weather was not brilliant in the early part but picked up with some sunny spells in the last 40 minutes or so.
The plantation has two long clearings separated by a belt of trees, both these and most of the site is long grass, except for the back part which is covered in old beech mast under a stand of huge old Beech trees. The clearings have thistle, Ragwort, trefoil and other plants growing in sections. At the left and right margins of the plantation are two small streams, and the area of these have the better Oak stands and the Alder and other such damp ground trees. There are a few Scotch Pine dotted around and some nice clumps of bramble. Most of the trees are huge and well spaced; in some areas newer plantings of a number of tree species provide variety. There are two ponds, a largish one at the front in fields that line the old galcial overflow channel this site is noted for, the other is well shaded and by the back road and is newer being formed by a blockage to the stream there.
I did a circumference transect and then moved in and checked parts of the two clearings more closely, the site is very exciting for me, I have never seen butterflies in such numbers.
At the main clearing with the most thistle I arrived when it coincided with the sun coming out and I had to give up counting, I was putting up Skippers and Ringlets every few yards, just looking where to go next every way I looked there were butterflies. I have honestly never experienced anything like it, even when it got a bit duller there was still lots going on. And there were areas I have not looked at in detail yet I am going to enjoy this site.
In addition saw a few Roe Deer and a half-dozen or so Common Blue Damselfly also Small Copper in small numbers at last.

Ringlet 72 counted (estimate 100+ seen)
Small Skipper 24 counted (estimate 40+ seen)
Small Tortoiseshell 2
Green-veined White 7 counted (estimate 20+ seen)
Meadow Brown 9 counted (estimate 15+ seen)
Large White 3
Speckled Wood 1 (expected more)
Large Skipper 4 counted (estimate 7+ seen)
Small Copper 2
Comma 2
Common Blue Damselfly 7
Blue-tailed Damselfly 1
Roe Deer buck
Roe Deer buck
Attachments
Small Skipper
Small Skipper
webDSCF3199.jpg
webDSCF3165.jpg
webDSCF3164.jpg
webDSCF3157.jpg
Large Skipper
Large Skipper
webDSCF3197.jpg
Ringlet
Ringlet
webDSCF3182.jpg
webDSCF3176.jpg
Green-veined White
Green-veined White
webDSCF3183.jpg
webDSCF3171.jpg
Meadow Brown
Meadow Brown
webDSCF3189.jpg
Small Copper
Small Copper
webDSCF3221.jpg
webDSCF3217.jpg
Comma
Comma
webDSCF3226.jpg
webDSCF3211.jpg
webDSCF3206.jpg
Last edited by philm63 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Phil.
Some lovely photos, especially your last picture of the Comma, great.
All the best, Nick.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I actually love the first Comma Phil - looks like it is melting in the sun and dripping gold. I also think the Torts are lovely especially the one on the lichen covered log - the colours are beautiful. I tried for an hour today but failed miserably, so on the topic of ST Phil, all I can say is :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:

philm63

Post by philm63 »

Nick, Pauline
Thanks for the comments. Today was one of those days when I could have just stayed hours in one small area. Luckily the two Commas, about 10 metres apart were around as the sun shined, turning round from the first one (on the thistle) I had to quickly pick up on a Small Copper, the first for ages, but the second one (on the grass) was happy to just hang around and wait for me
Phil

philm63

Post by philm63 »

Sun 11 August

Local patch

The day boded well with views in the morning of a juvenile Willow Warbler that has been around the garden for a few days, and a pair of Siskin that have been around for a week or so, followed by a Small White in the garden.
Weather however was dissapointing again; very overcast changing to rain later. Started in Prince of Wales’ Park, no sign of the Hawker, or Purple Hairstreaks, in fact only saw a single Speckled Wood; very poor showing.
Walked up Heights Lane to the old barn and then along the wall that had held all the Small Tortoiseshells on Thursday, the action had mainly moved from the wall itself to the swathe of nettles and thistles close by. Still found 12 today at the site in total and a Little Owl near the barn buildings. No Small Coppers and no skippers here though, at least not showing,
Choices – continue along Heights Lane or down the bridleway to the reservoir, chose the latter, the bridleway was quiet until I approached the reservoir path when I found a single Small Skipper. Along the path I clocked up a few oddments – Ringlet, Meadow Brown, Green-veined White. I was hoping for Wall. I stopped near the last field as the path approached the overflow, the field here looked busy. I had come across another sizeable Small Skipper colony; the area by the fence held around a dozen and that was just a small corner of a huge area stretching away into the distance. Crossed the overflow and headed uphill by the reservoir, it was here I had my first local Wall in the past, but none showing. Turned round and started back when I spotted a small butterfly flying close to the path edge, waited for it to settle. It proved to be a small male Gatekeeper, my first for the local area, but in a awkward position to shoot. Really lucky as 10 minutes later it started raining and that was that for the day.
Speckled Wood 1
Large White 2
Ringlet 3
Small Tortoiseshell 16
Green-veined White 5
Small Skipper 13+
Small White 1
Meadow Brown 3
Gatekeeper 1
Attachments
Gatekeeper male
Gatekeeper male
webDSCF3293.jpg
Small Skipper - this image was shot from about 5 feet quite pleased with the result
Small Skipper - this image was shot from about 5 feet quite pleased with the result
webDSCF3271.jpg
Small Tortoiseshell
Small Tortoiseshell
webDSCF3264.jpg
Small White
Small White

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sorry to didn't get your Wall but 16 Small Torts :shock: You've got to be happy with that! :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

philm63

Post by philm63 »

Saturday 18 Aug

Position is everything! I have a butterfly bush in the garden and so far this year it has produced the odd white and a single Small Tortoiseshell whilst I have been looking, and I prune it back each year to keep it at a decent height and to promote flower growth. Set off today down into the valley, on the way about 250 yds from home I passed another bush in a driveway, it was half the height of mine and only had about 9 blooms on it but held 5 Small Tortoiseshell at the time I passed, another 50 yds away two large bushes held nothing.
The weather continues unsettled up here, walked along the canal and entered Bingley Bog North from that end, the line of buddleias near the entrance were also empty of butterflies. The whole area was quiet with a passing unidentified darter one moment of interest, it was not re-located. The fields / bog area over the fence produced a few Green-veined Whites and a single male Small Skipper. The skipper was very thin and worn looking, probably on his last few hours. A second visit to the buddleia line produced a few Small Tortoiseshell, A Buzzard crossing the valley was a nice spot.
With a bit of time to spare popped up to Prince of Wales’ Park where the highlights were a single Holly Blue that didn’t want to stop and a group of about 4 fresh Speckled Wood in one spot, unusual in that I had seen only one other in the rest of the park. On the way up I passed the allotments near five-rise locks and these held around 15 assorted whites.

Large White 7
Small Tortoiseshell 10
Small White 2
Green-veined White 10
Small Skipper 1
Assorted whites 15
Speckled Wood 6
Holly Blue 1
Attachments
The bedraggled male Small Skipper
The bedraggled male Small Skipper
Small Tortoiseshells
Small Tortoiseshells
ST2.jpg
Speckled Woods
Speckled Woods
SW2.jpg
SW3.jpg

philm63

Post by philm63 »

Thursday 23 August

Day off due to car being in for its annuals so did a trip around Bingley visiting Dowley Gap, the river to Beck Foot, Myrtle Park, Bingley Bog North and part of the valley down to Raven Royd.
The weather stayed dry but it was generally overcast and dull. There was very little about butterfly wise with mainly just a few of the expected dotted about. A single Meadow Brown at Dowley Gap was a late one, and a few fresh but very skittish Peacocks seen, none staying still long enough to photograph, I tend to leave them if I cannot get a shot the first few attempts, their life seems bad enough this year without being pestered by me. Myrtle Park was very disturbed as they prepare for the music concert next weekend but found a few Common Blue Damselflies, all males. Bingley Bog North was also very quiet. Highlights today were a few juvenile Willow Warblers at Dowley hunting flies, a Kingfisher along the canal and a Common Newt on the canal bank

Meadow Brown 1
Small White 6
Large White 3
Speckled Wood 1
Common Blue Damselfly 3
Red Admiral 1
Peacock 3
Green-veined White 3
Attachments
Robin, Willow Warbler and Wren. I bet the odds of ever repeating this shot are astronomical
Robin, Willow Warbler and Wren. I bet the odds of ever repeating this shot are astronomical
Small Whites
Small Whites
SW2.jpg
Male Common Blue Damselfly
Male Common Blue Damselfly
Green-veined Whites
Green-veined Whites
GVW2.jpg
Last edited by philm63 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots Phil especially the three birds perfectly placed along the diagonal :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

philm63

Post by philm63 »

Cheers Wurzel

To be brutally honest I thought I took a picture of a Robin and a Willow Warbler, it wasn't until I saw the shots later that I realised the Wren was even there. I was concentrating on getting one of the juvenile Willow Warblers on disc as I had been trying for five minutes as they popped in and out of the ivy you can see on the right. I shot this view and a second, then and only then, moved closer for a shot of the Willow Warbler alone which I managed to get but not as close as I would have liked
juvenile Willow Warbler at Dowley Gap
juvenile Willow Warbler at Dowley Gap
Coming back from shopping today past three-rise locks on the canal I was suprised when a beautiful mature male Banded Demoiselle landed on the wooden fence in front of me, sat there for about 50 seconds then moved to some vegetation close-by. As is the norm in these cases I did not have either camera with me. I had thought I had seen my last of these this year a few weeks ago so this was a very pleasant surprise. The weather however was not, if I thought some of the recent weeks were bad today. was atrocious. I am on holiday next week and Monday already seems doomed looking at the forecasts, hoping some of the remaining days allow me to get out

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Phil I just love the photo of the Robin, Wren and Warbler - smashing shot.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Wurzel wrote:Cracking shots Phil especially the three birds perfectly placed along the diagonal :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Agreed, that is a great photo :D

Cheers,

Neil F.

philm63

Post by philm63 »

Pauline, Neil - Thank you both for the kind comments

Sunday 26 August

Started out on a walk with the wife going down into the valley and along the canal. On Greenhill Lane spotted a large dragonfly hunting a hedge / tree line, definetely a hawker but views not good enough to id any more specific, could well have been the Southern that was in the park earlier as it is not far away. We reached the canal towpath and turned towards Crossflats and soon after the rain started, then got heavier and heavier, we arrived home drenched and had seen very little; and as is oft the case the rain stopped.
Jackdaw near the canal just before the rain started
Jackdaw near the canal just before the rain started
During the afternoon spotted a butterfly struggling to fly across the tarmac out front of the house, popped out with the camera and shot this very worn and damaged female Meadow Brown, I suppose a very venerable old lady at this stage of the year
The venerable old lady out front of the house
The venerable old lady out front of the house
As the weather had improved I popped out during the evening and did the local circuit in reverse. Actually saw very little but it was nice as the sun started to drop and it was quiet, a time to just enjoy being alive and be able to collect your thoughts. Did find another female Meadow Brown by the old barn, and saw lots of rabbits especially along Walsh Lane.
I intend to do the plantation for the second time during my hols this week, will see what is still around, but not expecting much now. Apart from the odd sighting I think the season up here is coming to a close for the bulk of the species; it has been spoilt by an atrocious run of weather, but I have had some nice encounters. Most of all it has been lightened by the friendly people I have followed on this forum, a big thank you to you all!!
I will keep posting as long as there is something to write about and I have my last two 'looking backs' prepared just need to post them

As most people will have no reason to pop up here to see any butterflies, I intend on future posts to include some pictures of the places I go. Most of the my local trips are based around public roads, I am in reality watching the verges and field borders. The picture below from yesterday evening's walk is taken from Walsh Lane looking somewhat west across the Aire Valley, Bradford is out of shot but would be to the left, and Keighley also out of shot is too the right; Bingley itself is down in the valley and not visible. The buildings on the other side of the valley are around the area of Wilsden, Harden and Cullingworth. For those with sharp eyes there is a windfarm on the distant (about 4 - 5 miles) skyline to the right, just beyond that lies Haworth (of Bronte sister fame) and a few more miles beyond that you will actually be entering Lancashire. The plantations seen across the valley centre around Cottingley on the left, and to the right on St Ives Estate, which is a spot I have visited all too infrequently. Typical pennine landscape below the moors
Attachments
webDSCF3418.jpg

philm63

Post by philm63 »

Tues 28 August

That will teach me to be presumptious about the season end, lovely day with some good sunny spells.
The morning saw a Small Tortoiseshell, a Peacock and a few Large Whites in the garden
Small Tortoiseshell in garden
Small Tortoiseshell in garden
Shows how hairy they can appear
Shows how hairy they can appear
Undersides
Undersides
In the afternoon I took the plunge and headed for the plantation I am surveying. Handy as I could park in the works car park, collected the key and set off. Once inside and onto the area of the southern clearing I knew I was going to have a good day, still reasonable numbers of Small Skippers around, but many more Small Coppers. I then did a full circuit which showed the butterfly of the day was going to be the Speckled Wood, some of the mature trees had 4 – 5 individuals floating around. Then did an up and down of the two main clearings, the latter was pretty quiet except for the entrance end where I had a nice encounter with some more Peacocks (saw quite a few fresh ones today). Most of the Peacocks were actually grounded on what was very wet grass (it was appalling here yesterday for rain) in most cases this was in the vicinity of nettle beds. The first I was aware of a lot of them was when they took flight as I approached, they could probably hear my feet squelching
A few Large Whites, Green-veined Whites and Small Tortoiseshells were also seen. Plus a small mumber of worn Meadow Browns dotted about. No Ringlets and no Large Skippers today.
One area produced all the dragonfly sightings with a Common Darter, a Common Blue Damselfly and an unidentified Hawker. With a few more Roe Deer, a Great Spotted Woodpecker, a few Jays and a Tawny Owl there was also a bit of something else, would expect the birds to start showing more from next month

Counted:

Peacock 13 (probably 20+ seen)
Large White 5
Small Skipper 12 (probably 20+ seen)
Small Copper 6
Speckled Wood 46 (probably 70+ seen)
Common Blue Damselfly 1 male
Common Darter 1 female
Comma 1
Small Tortoiseshell 2
Holly Blue 2
Meadow Brown 2
Green-veined White 3
Hawker sp 1
Attachments
Some of the Speckled Woods seen today
Some of the Speckled Woods seen today
SW2.jpg
SW3.jpg
Some of the Peacocks seen today
Some of the Peacocks seen today
P2.jpg
P3.jpg
P4.jpg
Small Copper (bottom left) and Peacock (top right)
Small Copper (bottom left) and Peacock (top right)
Small Tortoiseshell
Small Tortoiseshell
Green-veined Whites
Green-veined Whites
GVW2.jpg
Comma
Comma
I am sure this is a female Common Darter not a Ruddy Darter
I am sure this is a female Common Darter not a Ruddy Darter
Darter-2.jpg
Some of the Small Coppers seen today
Some of the Small Coppers seen today
Small-Copper-2.jpg
Small-Copper-3.jpg
Some of the Small Skippers seen today
Some of the Small Skippers seen today
Small-Skipper-1.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great read and shots Phil :D Don't you just love it sometimes when butterflies don't read the script and turn up despite the season "ending" :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

philm63

Post by philm63 »

Cheers Wurzel!!

Looking back – No sexes please we’re British – The nymphalids

Unlike the whites this group love to pose and I will normally see Small Tortoiseshell, Red Admiral and Peacock during early and late summer quite frequently. Comma is not a frequent butterfly here so is enjoyed when it occurs, the sightings I have had have varied from literally 50 yards from where I live to others dotted about the area with no set pattern. Painted Lady is unusual with it being such a migrant, I started taking butterfly pictures in 2009, with 2010 being my first main year; and 2009 was the last big influx of these beauties locally. Whilst not numerous here that year, they were pretty widespread in small numbers and I can remember some nice encounters quite close to home, I do not recall seeing one since that year. In 2009 the fields nearby were heavy with creeping thistle and held all the commoner nymphalids, something else that has not re-occurred since. It was very close to the footpath there that I took the photo below showing the two Small Tortoiseshell, I would presume it is a pair, with the right hand one being much more worn than the left, so possibly the male; but I must admit I have not been able to master sexing nymphalids. I hope time, experience and continued exposure will remedy this; still, I will enjoy the encounters anyway. Peacock and Red Admiral are such stunning butterflies we should all be grateful we can enjoy them so frequently. I had seven Red Admiral last October on a smallish flowering ivy, it was stunning to see; the bush abutted the road and I had to be so careful in taking pictures as the road is bendy and narrow at that point but frequently used by motorists
Attachments
Red Admiral 2 v2.jpg
Small-Tortoiseshell-v2.jpg
Small-Tortoiseshell-2-v2.jpg
Red-Admiralweb.jpg
Red Admiral v2.jpg
Painted-Lady.jpg
Painted Lady v2.jpg
Comma.jpg

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Not posting but still reading a few diaries and I had to comment on your Small Tort pics Phil. They are lovely esp. the one on 28th which is beautiful - looks like a painting. Detail is sharp and background complements, would look good framed.

philm63

Post by philm63 »

Cheers Pauline!!

Fri 31 August

Last day of the month and it was a nice morning, after lunch it clouded over but was still dry.
During the morning I had some nice sightings in the garden with a variety of finches, a Nuthatch, a Jay and the odd butterfly passing through.
Siskin in the back garden
Siskin in the back garden
After lunch I went out covering Prince of Wales Park, Heights Lane up to the bridleway, then down to the path to Eldwick Reservoir; retraced my steps to Heights Lane and did the old barn then over the fields to home.
The kindergarten near home has a lovely buddleia which held 4 Peacocks, sadly it is not in a photo friendly position. Prince of Wales Park held a single Speckled Wood and another Peacock, plus my first Treecreeper for a while. Heights Lane was quiet as was the bridleway except for the odd passing butterfly. Along the path to Eldwick Reservoir it seemed as that too would be quiet but the corner of the fields near the overflow still held 2 or 3 Small Skippers and a Green-veined White. A dragonfly flew past but at the time I had my hands full (see below). As I was photographing the male skipper the female shown below landed on my hand and stayed long enough for a series of shots; difficult with only one hand, a unique moment to be cherished.
The reservoir itself held a nice Grey Wagtail around the very little border not under water and a Sparrowhawk passed very close.
The old barn area had a few Peacocks and a Small Tortoiseshell with a few more in the fields beyond as I made my way home. Once again they were hugging the ground around the edges of nettle beds.

Seen today:

Peacock 9
Large White 1
Speckled Wood 1
Small Tortoiseshell 6
Green-veined White 2
Small Skipper 2 or 3
Dragonfly sp 1
Attachments
Path from the bridleway that passes Eldwick Reservoir, the bank of which can be seen left of centre
Path from the bridleway that passes Eldwick Reservoir, the bank of which can be seen left of centre
Male Small Skipper nectaring
Male Small Skipper nectaring
An intimate interlude with a female Small Skipper
An intimate interlude with a female Small Skipper
fem-small-skipper-2.jpg
fem-small-skipper-3.jpg
The old barn area off Heights Lane
The old barn area off Heights Lane
Peacock
Peacock
Peacock undersides
Peacock undersides
Small Tortoiseshell
Small Tortoiseshell

philm63

Post by philm63 »

Sat 1 September

Went over to Knotford Nook in Wharfedale. weather quite reasonable and improving

Covered the riverside walk, then the corner of the main pool before carrying on along the river path towards Otley, round the scrub area then back to the car via the river and main pool. Pretty quiet for butterflies, but a lot of dragonfly action. A new species for me, Brown Hawker, plus a copulating pair of Southern Hawker and a single adult male; also saw Common and Ruddy Darter and 100+ Common Blue Damselfly.In addition clocked two Kinghfishers, a few Great Crested Grebes, a nice Spotted Flycatcher and a Grasshopper Warbler. All in all a great day.

Speckled Wood 9
Common Blue Damselfly 100+
Common Darter 7
Ruddy Darter 1 minimum
Green-veined White 3
Southern Hawker 3 minimum
Brown Hawker 2
Large White 4
Peacock 4
Small Copper 2

At home a Holly Blue went through the garden twice without stopping either time
The path beside the River Wharfe
The path beside the River Wharfe
The main pool
The main pool
Speckled Woods
Speckled Woods
SW2.jpg
Common Darter
Common Darter
Ruddy Darter
Ruddy Darter
Brown Hawker, shot through masking foliage
Brown Hawker, shot through masking foliage
One of the Kingfishers
One of the Kingfishers
Southern Hawkers mating
Southern Hawkers mating
Southern Hawker adult male
Southern Hawker adult male
Large White
Large White
over mature female Common Darter
over mature female Common Darter
Peacock
Peacock
Common Blue Damselfly, pair about to start mating
Common Blue Damselfly, pair about to start mating
Sunday 2 September

Day at home, garden visited by a few Large White and Peacocks and a single Speckled Wood, regrettably not the Holly Blue. Tried out a few different camera settings and techniques.
Attachments
Large White
Large White
Peacock
Peacock
P2.jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”