Whitbarrow NNR, Westmorland

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Lancastrian

Whitbarrow NNR, Westmorland

Post by Lancastrian »

Could any kind soul possibly supply me with information as to where Silver-washed Fritillaries may be found at this site (if at all ?). Cumbria Wildlife Trust, (who manage two areas of the site) mention Howe Ridding Wood as a good place. Has anybody been recently and can confirm this, or know of other areas of the reserve to look. Pondering over the OS map I see places such as the Hervey Memorial Reserve, Farrer`s Allotment, Township Plantation etc

All help would be gratefully appreciated.... :)
selbypaul

Re: Whitbarrow NNR, Westmorland

Post by selbypaul »

Hi there
I saw them two years ago on the path through the woods on the way down from Whitbarrow to Witherslack Hall. I've added the weblink below with arrow showing precise location. They were focused on the flowering brambles in sunnier broadleaf areas.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=34 ... 86332&lm=0

The wood is beautiful and extensive, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were quite widespread, although I didn't explore myself

Hope this helps
Paul
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

I think where I saw them last year was further North, near here

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=343522&y=487691&z=120&sv=343522,487691&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=642&ax=343522&ay=487691&lm=0

It's a bit of a steep climb from there to the top of Whitbarrow, but it's very nice up there - but watch out for ticks everywhere.
Lancastrian

Post by Lancastrian »

Many many thanks gentlemen, that is very helpful. Dilettante, that is just about where Howe Ridding Wood begins, so CWT literature is not out of date :) .
I shall certainly enjoy looking for them in what is a beautiful part of the country. Cheers guys :D
Wildmoreway

Post by Wildmoreway »

Close to Witherslack, where one of the last northern colonies of the silver studded blue was wiped out by a fire in 1942, for a long time I think that this had been thought to be the last colony of sub species Masseyii until a fairly recent evaluation of the population at Prees Heath indicated that to be Masseyii too.

Return to “Sites”