Return Trip to SW Bulgaria, 30 May-8 June 2012

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Michaeljf

Re: Return Trip to SW Bulgaria, 30 May-8 June 2012

Post by Michaeljf »

Wednesday 6th June – return to the edge of Eleshnitsa Village (continued)

The good weather continued as we followed the main dirt track further along the landscape: there were plenty of muddy puddles in the middle of the path, and one still had a Bullfrog in it. I wasn’t sure if this Bullfrog was dead or not, but when we returned later in the day it had disappeared. There were plenty of Blues getting minerals from the path, and I could get fairly close to them as they were far more interested in the salts: only occasionally would they stop their behaviour when the breeze would suddenly blow them, causing the blues to fall like a line of dominoes, suddenly showing their underwings. Also worth noting to the side of the ride were Clouded Yellows, Queen of Spain and Glanville Fritillaries: some of the Clouded Yellows, presumably the females, looked disproportionally large for the species, much nearer to the size of Large Whites. If I didn’t know better I would have thought these were another species entirely (nevertheless all the males were the smaller, standard size that I was used to).

Bullfrog in one of the bigger dirty puddles along the dirt track.

A close-up of the Bullfrog: not sure if he's alive or not, but he was gone when we passed this puddle later on.

The view of the route further along the dirt track, with the river hidden by the lush grass and bushes.

A range of the Blues mud-puddling on the path.

The Blues are only disturbed when a stronger breeze blows, making them close their wings and fight to hold their ground..

Two of the Blues collecting salts from the path.

A closer view shows a distinct difference in the interior wing colour...

One of the Glanville Fritillaries nectaring from Marjoram at the side of the path.

A closer view of the Glanville Fritillary.

Further along the ride we could cut down to the edges of the river: I followed this down as here most of the Eastern Festoons on the walk were congregating. They rarely stopped long, and in this much wetter and lush section this seemed to be where they would court and breed, only flying up to the dirt track above for the flowers there. Also coming down to the river area were, perhaps surprisingly, quite a few of the Black Hairstreaks. They seemed to have come down to the tall Umbellifers near to the river for some shade – I’d not seen this behaviour before in Black Hairstreaks in Britain, maybe it is because our temperatures rarely got this hot!

One of the multiple Black-Hairstreaks that now congregated near the river and the shade of the Umbelllifers there.

An Eastern Festoon stops briefly near the river edge.

One of the Eastern Festoons beside the dirt track - plenty of nice wildflowers here including Vipers Bugloss.

The view over the trees showing the edge of the Pirin Mountains a bit more clearly.

After about half an hour near spent by the river edge - watching the butterflies and listening to the croaking bullfrogs – we scampered back up to the dirt path above the river. On the path this time there was a really fresh and stunningly bright orange Fritillary – this turned out to be a newly hatched Niobe Fritillary, the first time I had seen this species. In the heat of the day the butterfly would fly back and forth along the ride but eventually would stop on the path to obtain salts from the path, long enough for me to get some close views. The butterfly was a real gem and was the best sighting of the afternoon: this area was also a great point to take in views of the distant landscape with the Pirin Mountains behind, and also to view the edge of the nearby river as it curved round the lower mountain slopes. By now it was getting to mid-afternoon so we started heading back to the car – and only now would we realize how sunburned we’d got – no doubt due to the fact that the temperature had been disguised all day by the slight breeze.

The first close view of the newly-hatched Niobe Fritillary.

A stunning butterfly, this Niobe Fritillary almost looked unreal, with such a vivid orange in the bright afternoon sun.

Looking the other way towards the far hills, with the dirt track and edge dropping into the nearby river.

It was quite hard to get down on the path and not disturb the Niobe Fritillary, but eventually I would get a good underside shot.

Getting close enough to watch the Niobe Fritillary feeding - a real joy.

I almost forgot this shot of a Blue on the track just as we were leaving. The nearest butterfly I can match to it is Pseudophilotes Vicrama.
I'm not sure if there is even a common name for Pseudophilotes Vicrama (presumably it would be Eastern Bavius Blue)?.

The journey back through the mountain road from Eleshnitsa to Velingrad is quite picturesque and has some lovely villages and towns viewed from the road. I admit I should have stopped and taken some more photos of the landscape but with a near two-hour drive we were quite keen to get back. The best I could do were a few quick shots taken from the car, as we zig-zagged between the usual Bulgarian pot-holes. We stopped briefly on the way back, at the mountain village of Yundola – here we had a few minutes watching the Clouded Yellows and Small Tortoiseshells in the mountain meadows before continuing home to Velingrad. Today was the first day when there was no thunderstorm to break the weather up – and the good weather was set to continue – so although the evening still had plenty of warmth and sunshine we were too tired to venture out again!

A quick snapshot of one of the Mountain valley villages as we head back to the hotel.

A brief walk in Yundola - about half an hours drive from Velingrad - yields many Clouded Yellows.
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Stunning photos of Niobe fritillary. Checking on the internet I discovered " Niobe. Symbolic of a mother's grief. Niobe, Queen of Thebes, boasted that her fourteen children were more lovely than Diana and Apollo, the children of Latona (Leto). Because of her arrogance, Niobe's children were slain by Latona's children, and Zeus turned Niobe to stone - yet still her tears flowed from the rock." I wonder how the butterfly came to have this name?
Ian
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Ian Pratt wrote: "Niobe. Symbolic of a mother's grief. Niobe, Queen of Thebes, boasted that her fourteen children were more lovely than Diana and Apollo, the children of Latona (Leto). Because of her arrogance, Niobe's children were slain by Latona's children, and Zeus turned Niobe to stone - yet still her tears flowed from the rock." I wonder how the butterfly came to have this name?
... and Eris, one of the common forms of Argynnis niobe, is the Greek goddess of strife and discord ...

Unhappy names for such a lovely butterfly!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Mikhail

Post by Mikhail »

The 'Bull frogs' are Green Toads Epidalea viridis, close relatives of the Natterjack. Pseudophilotes vicrama= Eastern Baton Blue.

M.
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Mikhail wrote:The 'Bull frogs' are Green Toads Epidalea viridis, close relatives of the Natterjack. Pseudophilotes vicrama= Eastern Baton Blue.
M.
Thanks Mikhail - regarding the Pseudophilotes vicrama - that serves me right for having about 3 different European guides by my computer :oops:

Michael
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Thursday, 7th June – Velingrad meadows

We had already decided that on the very last day of the trip we would travel again to Golyamo belovo, so for Thursday (the penultimate day of our trip) we would stay locally at Velingrad. I wanted to take some landscape shots to support some of the places we’d visited earlier in the holiday - so first thing in the morning we took a quick walk in the pine forest just behind our hotel. As with other mornings, our first views of wildlife were the many Swifts that would fly around the hotel as they greeted the early morning warmth and sunshine. On the way to the Pine forest we also saw a couple of Red-rumped Swallows watching us from above on the telegraph lines leading up to the hotel. The early morning life also included some of the local horses that were using the scrub ground right next to the hotel as grazing areas.

The walk round the forest was relatively quick as the species here were pretty much a repeat of the other day’s walks in this area, with the addition of our first Hummingbird Hawkmoth of the trip buzzing round the low-lying flowers. After a quick forest walk we checked again on the local orchard and wild meadow fields that edged the side of the river near our hotel: here again were plenty of Red-backed Shrike looking out for insects – and this time the birds seemed to have no problem with my company, and I got a few nice close-up photos.

Red-rumped Swallows resting on the telegraph lines very close to our Hotel.

Some of the local horses feeding on the scrubland beside the Hotel.

Some good views of the Pine forest again in the early morning sunshine.

A view of the stream moving down from the Pine Forest where I had seen Chequered Skippers on our first day.

One of the locals on his Horse & Cart as we leave the Pine Forest.

A distance view of one of the Red-Backed Shrikes in the local orchard...

A close-up of a Red-Backed Shrike.

After these walks we drove again to the south of the village on the 843 road. The road becomes a drive through a steep-sided river valley very quickly and I hoped I might see some larger woodland species here but to no avail. As an alternative I found a very nice open wildflower meadow just off the road, which on closer inspection was full of Scabious flowers, all starting to come into bloom. There were plenty of butterflies being drawn into the meadow due to the abundant Scabious flowers, though no species that I hadn’t seen already: at the edge of the meadow there were Green Hairstreaks, Speckled Wood, our first Small Copper of the trip and a few Common Gliders that stayed well out of photography range. In the field with the Scabious were Cardinal, Queen of Spain and a very dusky Glanville Fritillary, Painted Ladies, Large Whites, Scarce Swallowtails, Orange-tips, Black-Veined Whites and now more and more Clouded Yellows. There was even a single Chequered Skipper and a few Blues that were flying too fast to ID. Today would be very hot and there was no cloud in the sky at all, so even the brief landscape photos I took would look very flat. After the previous days sunburn both Karen and I made sure we were fairly well ‘covered up’.

Our first Small Copper of the trip, just on the edges of the Wildflower meadow.

A Chequered Skipper taking in the morning sun on the edge of the meadow.

The view from the Wildflower meadow looking towards the road and into the Velingrad mountains. Note the deep blue sky.

A slightly faded Scarce Swallowtail on the Scabious flowers.

As with our other days, plenty of Cardinal Fritillaries but no sign yet of any Silver-Washed Fritillaries.

Clouded Yellows were more abundant in this field than on any other day.

A brief view of the inside wing-pattern of one of the Clouded Yellows.

Another close view of one of the Clouded Yellows on the Scabious.

A female Clouded Yellow ovipositing at the edge of the meadow.

A fresh Painted Lady also enjoying the Scabious flowers.

As with other days there were also plenty of Queen-of-Spain Fritillaries.

An upperwings shot of one of the Queen-of-Spain Fritillaries.

There were plenty of Pieridae butterflies in the meadow including this Large White.

A view across the field looking towards the road. Only the presence of the metal building gives a sign of local occupation...
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Thursday, 7th June – Velingrad meadows (continued)...

The rather dusky-looking Glanville Fritillary in the wildflower meadow.

A brief view of the underside of the Glanville Fritillary. I think this confirmed the ID..

Another view of Glanville Fritillary on the Scabious flowers.

Just before leaving the Meadow I managed to scramble a bit higher at the side of the meadow.
Here the meadow was bordered by some Pines and a Pearl-Bordered Fritillary was resting away from the mid-day sun.

After a couple of hours in the roadside wildflower meadow we headed in the car back and drove to the edge of the walk near the Lepenitsa caves that we had visited on the Sunday: again here there were plenty of Clouded Apollos as per the previous visit, but this time I took extra care to photograph some Eastern Short-Tailed Blues and some dazzling little Mazarine Blues that were mostly feeding on the Germander Speedwell flowers.

The strong sunshine and heat continued to be slightly oppressive all day (there were no clouds all day) and after making sure we had provisions for Friday and some gifts to take back home - we finished the day in the Pine forest next to the hotel again, just to make sure there was nothing new that we had missed – so our last views of butterflies in the Pine forest were of the Pearl-bordered Fritillaries – now in smaller numbers than when we’d arrived on the first Wednesday - but still feeding of the local Bugle flowers.

A view of the river stream that bordered the fields next to the walk to the Lepinitsa cave.
The sky is still deep blue and not great for landscape shots!

A close-up of one of the Eastern Short-Tailed Blue, stopping briefly atop its chosen perch.

An interior wings photo of one of the Eastern Short-Tailed Blues.

The Mazarine Blues here seemed fresh, and a really stunning colour in the strong sunlight.

A nice clear view of the underside of the Mazarine Blue as it nectars from the Germander Speedwell flowers.

A last look at one of the fresh Mazarine Blue butterflies.

A brief return to the Pine Forest, nearing the end of the afternoon, looking towards Velingrad town.

The Pearl-Bordered Fritillaries are still nectaring off the Bugle flowers... just like our first days visit to the Pine Forest
David M

Post by David M »

You've done it again, Michael. Great CY open wing shot. Are you using sports mode or do you just get lucky like with the Grayling last year?
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Michael. I know mazarine blues are different in the Balkans, and I've never been out that way - but those uppersides are so different from any mazarine I've seen and so like Osiris blue that I have to comment. Do you have any other undersides? The one underside you show looks more like mazarine in colour but the critical spot which separates this species from Osiris is missing in that individual, so I'm still left wondering ...

Guy
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Fantastic report and images Michael :D

Could you add the open-winged Clouded Yellow female (7th June) to the Species-Specific Album please as this would fill a gap for that species.

Many thanks,

Vince
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

David M wrote:You've done it again, Michael. Great CY open wing shot. Are you using sports mode or do you just get lucky like with the Grayling last year?
Hi David,

I think it's just luck and spending a lot of time with the butterflies...I'm not sure if the individual was doing a bit of mating display or telling males to 'keep off' at the time, and was acting a bit slower with the open wings while doing it. I don't change any other settings as I think the focus would soon be 'knocked off' trying to keep up.

Vince - I'll try and add that image up to those pages. I still need to upload the Blue-Eyed Pansy as well from the SA trip.

Guy - I do have some more underside wing shots of the Mazarine or Osiris Blue, though whether it is seperate individuals or the same one repeated I'm not sure. I'll see if I can load some more tonight.

Thanks to everyone for their input...

Michael
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

By the missing spot, did you mean the unh post-discal spot in s6, Guy? Osiris specimens with missing spots are fairly common in Var, the s6 spot being present or completely absent. The post-discal unh s2-s5 series is also very variable and can sometimes be only three or even two spots. However, osiris usually has three unh spots in s1 which are missing here.

The straightness of the post-discal series on both wings looks very much like osiris to me, whereas I would expect semiargus to be significantly curved. The shape of the spots looks much more osiris than semiargus, too. The upperside black borders look right for osiris as well. If it were on Sainfoin, I think that would tip the balance in favour of osiris, but it appears not to be, However, as we have seen before, localised forms may change all that, and we have found many times that local knowledge is vital. If Misha doesn’t provide the answers here, there is an EIG person who leads the trips to Bulgaria who may be able to help.
Mikhail

Post by Mikhail »

I was leaving this for Guy, but since my name has been mentioned I will add my twopenn'orth. For me they are definitely osiris. In the Mazarine the veins on the upperside are more distinct, being darker than the ground colour. I'd say that Mazarines in Bulgaria do not differ significantly from those further west, except that the occasional specimen may have a vestigial orange lunule on the hindwing underside. This form, which also occurs in northern Greece, seems to be the extreme end of a cline linking with the Peloponnesian helena.

M.
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Hi all,
I'll definitely leave this to the experts...of course, there are always differences in the way the sunlight hits the wings and the processing of the image afterwards based on preferences will vary the colour slightly. I'm happy to go with either diagnosis but Osiris is at least a new species to add to the list for the trip! Below are a few more shots, some will be of the same individual but some were taken at least 20 minutes apart.
Thanks
Michael

This Mazarine / Osiris Blue was definitely photographed about 20 minutes before the others.

One of the better photos showing the underside and upperside in the same shot.

A close shot taken after one of the originals from the first post - light hitting the wings in a different way.

A nice clear shot with the butterfly scrambling to gain foothold as it's feeding...
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I think you can take that as confirmation of your Osiris blues, Michael! I'm always cautious with butterflies outside my geographical region but like Roger and Misha I heard those pictures scream out 'Osiris!' and your subsequent shots are no less loud. Yes, it is the spot in s.6 that is missing and completes the angle (approximately a right angle, often slightly acute, less often slightly obtuse, in osiris, but always shallowly obtuse in semiargus). Perhaps it is not the position of that spot that actually makes the difference - I'll have to look at pictures - but it is obviously easier when there are three there rather than two.

Guy
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Friday 8th June 2012 – return to Golemo Beliowo (Golyamo belovo)

It was now our last full day in Bulgaria and we returned North-West to the beautiful village of Golyamo belovo, around an hours drive from Velingrad. On the way we only stopped once – at a large parking dirt track beside the main road, just on the outskirts of the village. It was just past 9 am in the morning but it was already warm and there were several large butterflies flying down to this spot.

The ground had been re-invaded by a range of different wildflowers, though the ground here was also full of glass and rocks that had obviously been dumped by local visitors and / or builders. The strange mix on the ground didn’t seem to bother the early morning butterflies too much – here our first visitor was a couple of Large Tortoiseshells, with one stopping briefly on my shoe to taste the surface. Also at the dirt stop there were several Common Gliders flying up and down the road – they would stop briefly at our car, before returning to the main road or the bushes on the side of the road. Like a modern-day Moby Dick encouraging a slightly nutty Captain Ahab on to certain disaster - Karen looked on in anguish as I tried to photograph the Gliders as the stopped in the most dangerous spots on the road, leaving me seconds to shoot while in-between the spaces left by the traffic as they came down the main road. After risking injury to photograph the Common Gliders, I returned to the relative comfort of the drive-by and noted that here there were also some Common Blues and our first Silver-Washed Fritillaries of the trip on the rocks and wildflowers. I also took a few photos of the unusual crickets before we headed on to the village walk.

The view of the small dirt car-parking spot just outside the village of Golyamo belovo.
Note the range of wildflowers that are successfully taking over the spot!

There were several Large Tortoiseshells almost as soon as we arrived at the spot.

Like the Poplar Admiral from the previous years trip, this individual takes an immediate liking to my feet... :o

A Common Glider is one of the first butterflies we see here. This one was photographed on the side of the road.

The view of the side of the Valley that the road cuts straight through - including our trusty car hire on the left.
Unlike many roads in Bulgaria this one seems to be lacking in Pot-holes - very unusual!

An open-wing shot of the Common Glider - this was as close as I'd get of this species, and was a good start to the final day.

A Common Blue making good use of the Wildflowers in the early morning sunshine.

There were many strange small insects in and around the various plants growing a the stop-off.

Another of the dirt-stop inhabitants - what I guess must be a species of Green Cricket...

Just before we leave to go to the main village walk, several Silver-Washed Fritillaries appear on the red boulders to the side of the road.
Sylvie_h

Post by Sylvie_h »

Hi Michael,

Great pictures and great report. I enjoyed reading this thread, it looks like you've had a great time and good weather too!!
For your record, the longhorn beetle is agapanthia cardui.
Sylvie
Sylvie_h

Post by Sylvie_h »

Sorry I made a mistake, it should be agapanthia villoviridescens (not cardui).
Sylvie
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Hi Sylvie,
thanks for the ID on the beetle and the compliments - I'm glad you've enjoyed the report - the thread is almost finished :( but never mind, I'm returning to Bulgaria in a couple of weeks :) , so it may yet run some more later this year....
Best wishes
Michael
Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

Hi Michael

Just to say that I have photos of mazarine Blue in Bulgaria which have a broader dark border to the upperwing and more veins as was pointed out, very similar to those in the west of Europe.

The Beetle is a Long Horned Beetle which I have seen in a Guide book and can let you know the name if required when back at home.

I think the green cricket is a male speckled bush cricket. We found some amazing coloured species of bush crickets whilst in Bulgaria. I'm struggling to identify many of them tough.
Cheers Paul

Return to “Overseas”