catapiller diaries

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: catapiller diaries

Post by David M »

This is pretty impressive for a first attempt, I must say. :)

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

feralkitten wrote:yes all 12 are in there crysalis its really cool to see
Hi Sarah,

That's a great survival rate :D .

I was not expecting them to pupate so soon because it seemed that the caterpillars still had some growing to do. Clearly they were in their final stage. On the basis of the photos posted so far I would continue to say that they are Small Tortoiseshells. They should be hatching in approximately 14-21 days and you will get an indication when the chrysalis starts to change colour.

It would now be a good idea to clear the tank of old vegetation and droppings. The pupae located on the stem seem to be very close to the ground and I am concerned that the emerging butterflies have enough space to dry their wings. If possible, try to carefully raise the whole stem by tying it to a number of sticks (one at each end and one in the middle), but keep it level so that the pupae continue to hang freely and don't touch the side of the tank. This will not only help the butterflies but will also enable you to observe their development better. If this is not possible then just lean some sticks against the side of the tank close to where the butterflies will emerge.

The best bit is yet to come.

Vince

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
feralkitten

Post by feralkitten »

the problem i have is there some handing from the netting on the lid of the tank so i cant get ino the take without having to lift the lid with then on it

Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Sarah,

Presumably you're going to have to lift the lid in order to release the adults, so you may as well do it now (but very carefully) :) . If necessary cut away any piece of netting that has a chrysalis attached it and tie that netting to a twig. If the chrysalises are attached directly to the lid then just lift the lid and prop it up until you have finished in the tank, then put it back. You really need to make sure that the chrysalises at the bottom of the tank have enough clearance from the ground so that the emerging adults can safely dry their wings.

Vince

feralkitten

Post by feralkitten »

so we have fixed the tank and i got sme photo when we were doing it as i will not get another chance lol
they look a bit like little bats dont they lol
thats there tank now befor we pt the lid back on

feralkitten

Post by feralkitten »

WE HAVE BUTTERFLYS !!! i was not exspecting them for a few more days yet but they like to shock me lol i will get photo up soon but they wont be the best photo as i'm taken them threw glass

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

feralkitten wrote:WE HAVE BUTTERFLYS !!!
GREAT NEWS!!! Isn't it amazing how quickly it happens - all that incredible transformation inside the chrysalis in just a few days. Look forward to seeing some photos.

Mike

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Can't wait to see your butterfly photos Feralkitten. Very well done indeed.

feralkitten

Post by feralkitten »

Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Blimey, that was quick :D . The conditions in the tank must have suited them. Keep an eye on the other chrysalises and you will see them changing colour. When they get very dark they will be ready to hatch and you may be lucky to see one emerge early in the morning.

Vince

feralkitten

Post by feralkitten »

i'm a little worried abiyt one taht wing is still stick in it crislis and the other wings out it been liek that for a few hours i dont know if i should try to help it or not

feralkitten

Post by feralkitten »

this is my stuck butterfly but its hard to see
:(

and these are just some more photos :)

David M

Post by David M »

Excellent results and thanks for sharing. :)

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Yes, free it. If its wing dries like that it will mever fly.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Fantastic. Yes, this has all happened very quickly. How many butterflies have emerged so far?

David M

Post by David M »

padfield wrote:Yes, free it. If its wing dries like that it will mever fly.
Hadn't seen that image, Guy.

Yes, if it's still stuck then try to remove the pupal case. I'd gently pick up the butterfly by its body and try to flake the casing away rather than trying to tear at it. Even if the butterfly loses a little of its wing tip it should still be able to fly perfectly well.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Sorry for the very hasty answer - I was on the train, going in and out of reception. I have no experience of this myself, but that situation did seem to be beyond the butterfly's ability to solve, so you needed to step in quickly.

I hope it went OK.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
feralkitten

Post by feralkitten »

its not looking good the wing was so dryed out and the butterfly had been twisting around and round trying to get it out
my dh did a great job and got most if the wing out but then at the last min most snaped off as it was so dryed off so just now it back in the tank bit i dont hink it can fly i will add photo in a min so you guys and advies me wahts best to do
i feel bad for not helping it hours ago but i was not shore if it would get it self out as i niver had butterflys before

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Even if you've lost one, you've done very well to bring all the others through! Remember that lots succumb in the wild!

Mike

feralkitten

Post by feralkitten »

:(

Return to “Personal Diaries”