Lens hood?

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
FISHiEE

Re: Lens hood?

Post by FISHiEE »

I always use a lens hood for macro photography though very occasionally would take it off when using flash as the hood casts a shadow with the popup flash when I'm being lazy! :)

It's an excellent lens protector, preventing dirt/dust/pollen/rain(Pretty useless without one in the rain!) getting onto the lens, branches,brambles scratching the filter etc. I can imagine my lens getting covered in all sorts quite quickly without one! It also provides a clear 'tunnel' to shoot through when poking through grass/bushes etc. and cuts down on 'gardening'! :)

Also I find it does prevent lens flare quite a bit when shooting into the light and on occasions I need to use my hand as an extension of the hood because sometimes the one with my sigma 150 just isn't long enough. I notice the new 150IS has a longer hood for use with crop sensors which I was very pleased to see!

I can't imagine that the hood would scare off the butterflies. It's a minor addition to the lens+camera + photographer already in front of it! I can imagine waving your hand about in front of it trying to mimic the effect of a hood is going to spook it more! Having someone else wander over and wave their hands about even more so!! :)
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

FISHiEE
I can imagine waving your hand about in front of it trying to mimic the effect of a hood is going to spook it more
I never intended to imply that I use that hand waving for butterflies but is certainly my preferred landscape method enabling me, if necessary, to shoot within a few degrees of the sun.

Jack
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Jack Harrison wrote:Update on my rain. Total of 51 mms between 0300 and 1300
How long before building regs. require all new houses to have lifeboat davits at every window?

Mike
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

...lifeboat...
This was my "duckpond" seen from the front window.
Rain has now stopped. 54 mms in the day.

Jack
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Debbie wrote:an interesting selection of butterfly umbrellas (and before some bright spark says it - for us not the butterflies
Why not for the butterflies?
Lovely weather we're having!
Lovely weather we're having!
(as you can see,it's been a long wet afternoon!)

Mike

Return to “Photography”