July 2012

Discussion forum for sightings.
edgueinart

July 2012

Post by edgueinart »

This is the Month of the Purple Emperor!!! =)
edgueinart

Re: July 2012

Post by edgueinart »

this morning in Castle Hill near Brighton with very windy weather,15+ Dark Green Fritillary ,20+ Meadow Brown,10+ Small Heat, 8 Marbled Whites, 1 Large Skipper and 1 Male Common Blue.
Dark Green Fritillary by JPNature, on Flickr

Marbled White by JPNature, on Flickr

Large Skipper ♀ by JPNature, on Flickr

Dark Green Fritillary by JPNature, on Flickr
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

The Marbled Whites on my local patch emerged on 23rd June last year in considerable numbers. I saw my first this year on 27th June, just the one, and by today the population had doubled..It was very blustery today and I couldn't get near to either of them but here are a couple of pictures to liven up my Sightings report.
IMG_0357.JPG
IMG_0368.JPG
I like to see photographs of a butterfly in its environment but my photographs tend to have rather more environment than butterfly!
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

With July now here it would be great to get some summer weather, however, looking at the forecast this is unlikely in the short term. Fortunately at High and Over both Marbled Whites and Meadow Brown are having a good year and they both give a bit of a challenge to get decent pics.
Yesterday I found a courting pair of Small Tortoiseshell and I was able to observe them for a couple of minutes. The male was just behind the female vibrating its wings and every few seconds it hit her with his antannae hard enough to make a noise. Eventually she flew off with him still in close contact.
It was also good to see some burnt orchids in flower.
Attachments
Male Meadow Brown
Male Meadow Brown
Marbled White
Marbled White
Female Meadow Brown
Female Meadow Brown
Male Meadow Brown
Male Meadow Brown
Courting Small Tortoiseshells
Courting Small Tortoiseshells
Burnt Orchid
Burnt Orchid
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

On Exmoor today, looking for dragonflies. If anyone is in this neck of the woods looking for Heath Fritillary, they might like to know that Small Pearl-bordered is still on the wing - one seen today at Landacre Bridge (SS8136). Also saw what I took to be an Argynnis fritillary but fell in the mire whilst chasing it; Large Skippers and Meadow Browns also out in the area.
EricY

Re: July 2012 - Kelling came good today

Post by EricY »

Back to Kelling today after last thursdays failure, drawn by the report Red veined darters were at the Water meadows site. after waiting some time some did show up in cooler windy conditions. As it was nearby decided about 11.30 to go up the heath again to see if SSB's had turned up. No luck at original introduction site & back at c/p met Peter, while talking a car pulled up & we were told he had seen 13 males & one female up the track left before the railway line. By then a bit cloudy but we hot footed it up there & did find 2 SSB's & a moth I am told is a july bell. Eric
SSB underside Kelling heath
SSB underside Kelling heath
SSB Kelling heath
SSB Kelling heath
Red vein Darter
Red vein Darter
moth July bell, I am told.
moth July bell, I am told.
A_T

Post by A_T »

First Ringlet of the year for me today - and only second Red Admiral.
PhiliB

Post by PhiliB »

The Suffolk Silver-studded Blues are beginning to get into full swing now. Dozens of recently emerged butterflies at Westleton today.
Silver-studded Blue 120701 153S1.jpg
Silver-studded Blue 120701 092S.jpg
Silver-studded Blue 120701 119S.jpg
Silver-studded Blue 120701 133S.jpg
Mildheart

Post by Mildheart »

A mixed day of local dragonfly/butterflying which was heavily affected by the weather. First up was West End common, where there was a freshly emerged Common Darter, a female Black-tailed Skimmer, lots of Emerald Damselflies, first Ringlet of the year and two Meadow Browns. Then on to Fairmile Common for Silver-studded Blues, about a dozen seen including one female, plus a Small Copper. At Bookham Common (this time using the Mark Oak car park - much easier terrain!) the numbers of White Admirals seem OK, with about half a dozen seen - it's Silver-washed Fritillary that seems thin on the ground at the moment, with only two males found. Also Large Skippers, Meadow Brown, Comma, Red Admiral and Speckled Wood. The highlight here, though, was an immature Broad-bodied Chaser that gave some very close views. Finally it was on to Boldermere, where a Red-veined Darter was seen about a couple of weeks ago. No such luck for me, clouds of damselflies present but not much else. Only one Large Skipper and one Meadow Brown on the butterfly front.

July is already better than June.
a_j_steele

Post by a_j_steele »

A Windy day with not a great deal of sun but a Male Silver-washed Fritillary & 2 White Admirals along with Marbled Whites the highlight of the day at Bricket wood Common.
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Sunday: Met up with Mark Tutton (Tuts) at a site for White-letter Hairstreak nr, Portsmouth. The area beside a road had a line of suckering elms (not sure which type) behind which was a small untended embankment with lots of wild flowers. Almost immediately Mark showed me a hairstreak perched on a light coloured elm leaf (they seemed to prefer the lighter coloured leaves perhaps because they radiate more heat?). It would remain there for some time, lying over to present its side for absorbing the suns rays :o . Our hairstreaks are not open wing baskers with perhaps the exception of Brown and Purple.
As soon as anything insect flew by a hairstreak would take off to intercept and set off a chain reaction of aerial combat in which they could be seen in twos threes and fours. However, it was difficult to photograph them 6ft or more up in the bushes but my luck was in as two came down to nectar on thistle :D .
A 2012.07.01 IMG_5172 White-letter Hairstreak.jpg
B 2012.07.01 IMG_5165 White-letter Hairstreak.jpg
Two on thistle (apologies for blurrines)
Two on thistle (apologies for blurrines)
In addition there were lots of Marbled Whites and Meadow Browns on the embankment :) . A lone Comma Hutchinsoni came second place to the White-letters and missed being recorded for posterity. Also seen was this Hornet mimic Volucella zonaria.
note little larva ?
note little larva ?
As big as a hornet too
As big as a hornet too
Despite this good fortune the weather was 'sticking it's oar in' to spoil the fun :( . After some prolonged cloudiness we decided to go on to Straits Inclosure taking in Butser Hill (a place I've not been to before). On the way the heavens opened up: I was gobsmacked at the ferocity of this 'heavy' shower :shock: :!: , yet by the time we arrived about 10 minutes later, the rain had stopped and the sun was out again :) .Nevertheless my fleece jacket went on as we set off and it was a wise move as the season turned into November :shock: :roll: . In amongst the cloudy windy wintery spells were some warmer brighter breaks which enabled a couple more sightings, one of which was this mating pair of Small Heath doing a passable impression of a single moth.
Moth mimic, mating Small Heath lol.
Moth mimic, mating Small Heath lol.
Hardy soul
Hardy soul
As the weather worsened again we returned to our cars only for it to brighten up again :roll: :roll: Despite this I am definitely going back to this site next year during the spring months.

Setting off for Straits the weather had a particularly bright spell but on arrival the cloud was back :( . Within a hundred yards of the entrance I got three firsts for the season, a Male Silver-washed Fritillary, a Ringlet and a White Admiral. I also got my first cleg bite too, something which Straits is particularly noted for :x .
H 2012.07.01 IMG_5297 Ringlet, Straits Inclosure Alice Holt.jpg
Can't think what is in store for Purple Emperor and its hordes of devoted followers if this weather keeps up :? .

Phil
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots of the White Letter Philzoid :mrgreen:

I expect you're wearing the black-arm band today though...

Have a goodun

Wurzel
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

It seems as though, like many people this year, I chose the wrong week for a holiday!! I was planning to spend some time with my local White Letter Hairstreaks before all the elms are felled due to dutch elm didease which has come back in this area. Unfortunately the wind and cool conditions have made this impossible so well done to Phil for finding a gap in the weatherand getting some WLHs.
Yesterday I wrapped up and went for a stroll over the Downs and was pleased to still find some butterflies, mainly Marbled Whites and Meadow Browns with a few Large Skippers thrown in. In the 'waste land' behind the house my first Small Skipper of the year also put in an appearance as well as a newly emerged female Marbled White. It was also good to find several Ringlet along The Comp.
Attachments
Marbled White
Marbled White
Small Skipper
Small Skipper
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Wurzel wrote:I expect you're wearing the black-arm band today though...
You're rtight there Wurzel :cry: . Thankfully I didn't take Bill's (Willrow) advice and put a tenner on them :lol: (double agony)
badgerbob wrote:so well done to Phil for finding a gap in the weatherand getting some WLHs.
Credit should go to Mark (Tuts) Tutton, who found the site and gave me the tip off :D
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Spent a short time at Lindrick Common near Worksop on Sunday. Saw two fresh Marbled White, plus five or so fresh Dark Green Fritillary. The DGF's were unusually torpid, but then again the weather was pretty cold!

Highlight as ever on this site were the introduced Silver Studded Blue, although saw only one. No sign of any introduced Scotch Argus, but very few were seen last year, so likely to be none this year.
Podster

Post by Podster »

Called in at Arnside Knott just on the off chance something might show even though the weather was cloudy. To my surprise the car park was almost full of like minded souls vehicles who were busy scouring the adjacent hillside for butterflies. It was great to mingle and gain knowledge, swap stories and delight in the spectacle on show. Ten species of butterfly with pride of place Northern Brown Argus at least 6 8) , Dark Green Fritillary everywhere, Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary 2, Grayling in abundance, Meadow Brown, Common Blue, Large Skipper, Small Tortoiseshell, Speckled Wood and Small Heath...not bad for a cloudy day up North.
Attachments
NORTHERN BROWN ARGUS ARNSIDE KNOTT JULY 2012 copy.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Podster wrote:...not bad for a cloudy day up North.
I think perhaps even the butterflies have given up on it ever being warm and sunny again and are simply content to go about their business under grey skies!
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

A visit to Friston Forest this afternoon produced a few Dark Green fritillaries. Very small numbers compared with last year when they were showing in very large numbers from June 8th. 2 of todays were very fresh. Still no sign of any White Letter Hairstreaks though along the Cuckmere valley. A Small Magpie was a nice find in the undergrowth in the forest. Fresh Commas are also showing along with good numbers of Red Admiral.
Attachments
Small Magpie
Small Magpie
Dark Green Fritillary
Dark Green Fritillary
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A sneaky stop off on the way from work saw me finding 3 Meadow Brown and at least 20 Marbled Whites in the small field opposite Woodhenge. I'd agree with David M in that these butterflies didn't give a monkies about the dull weather which turned to drizzle which turned to rain, they kept on flying and feeding and fighting.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Myself and Chris both had a day off work today and so we took a drive up to Prees Heath and Whixall Moss, visiting Prees first, then moving on to Whixall and then returning to Prees Heath later in the afternoon.
After some initial showers the weather turned out quite reasonable, cloudy but warm with some sun breaking through in the afternoon :D

Loads of Silver Studded Blues at Prees Heath along the paths beside the old runway, some even flying in light rain, plus Meadow Browns and Small Heaths.

Good numbers of Large Heath at Whixall all along the Moss Trail plus swarms of Ringlets going throught the trees to the moss. Also lots of Large Skippers plus a couple of Small Tortoiseshells.

More details and photos will be on my diary when I get time, I need to eat and sleep first :wink:

cheers,

Neil F.

Return to “Sightings”