Dave Brown

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
dave brown

Re: Dave Brown

Post by dave brown »

No real chance of any butterflies around here today although a Holly Blue in the garden between the showers and a break in the clouds was a surprise. I have therefore added a few photos from the weekend. The light was poor and photography was difficult.

Dave
Attachments
Another Heath Fritillary at East Blean.
Another Heath Fritillary at East Blean.
Heath Fritillary Butterfly at East Blean.
Heath Fritillary Butterfly at East Blean.
Greater Butterfly Orchid at Parkgate.
Greater Butterfly Orchid at Parkgate.

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Dave, I'm coming to my daughters in Canterbury 1st of July, we usually come earlier in june, do you think the Heath Fritilary will still be around then :?: When we've tended to come later there dosen't seem to be many around or we've not been able to find them, we always go to Blean Woods Goldie :)

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
dave brown

Post by dave brown »

Hello Goldie,
Most years there will still be some Heath Fritilarys around then. This year is proving odd to say the least , and yes, its raining again today. We will check again nearer the day and update you. Always happy to meet you and show the best spots, although you can't go wrong really, as this year the best area is actually adjacent to the car park (10-20 metres) in a coppiced area full of Cow Wheat.
Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Sorry I've taken so long to get back to you, too much going on :D I'll make a be line for the coppiced area when I get there. My favorite spot around there is Lydden, I hope the weather takes up . Goldie :D

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Goldie M wrote:we always go to Blean Woods
I usually go to East Blean Woods - car park at TR194642 - Heath Frit often in the car park itself and along adjacent ride. Abundant when I was last there on 2nd July 2010.

Mike

dave brown

Post by dave brown »

Hello Goldie, Mike makes a useful point about it being East Blean Woods. There is also a Blean Woods (RSPB Reserve) which is off the Whitstable Road. East Blean is off the Herne Bay Road about 2 miles after leaving Sturry. I always assume that people are aware of the difference when looking for Heath Fritilaries. As you drive into the car park the best spot is the coppiced area to your left. The adjacent ride is also good, but a little more overgrown this year.

WEDNESDAY 13 JUNE 2012.
The sun came out and so we headed for the lower slopes of Wye NR. Very disappointing to say the least. Only 2 Commn Blues, a Speckled Wood and Red Admiral, supported by 4 Silver Y's and one Common Shell moth. 3 Common Buzzards and a Sparrowhawk were enjoying this break in the recent bad weather.
Next was Covert Wood south east of Canterbury. The only butterflies seen were 2 Large Whites. On the way back to the main road we came across a delightful little local nature reserve known as Jumping Downs. Butterflies seen were 2 Small Heathes, 4 Common Blues, 2 Meadow Browns and a Large White. A Latticed moth was on the roadside and 18 Crossbills flew over into Covert Wood.
Our final stop of the day was Castle Hill, Folkestone. This area of chalk down can be good for butterflies but today only Common Blue, Red Admiral and Large White seen. We did find a samll group of 5 Bee Orchids and many Fragrant and Common Spotted Orchids were coming into flower.
Whilst working in the greenhouse I came across an Early Grey moth.

THURSDAY 14 JUNE 2012.
Today we visited Monkton Nature Reserve near Ramsgate. This is an excellant local reserve in old old chalk quarry. Speaking to the warden he stated that most plants present were a couple of weeks behind and so it proved. This is a very good spot for Southern Marsh Orchid and many were out, including one or two that looked like the one known as Leopard Orchid or possibly an hybrid. There were many Common Spotted, 15 plus Man Orchids and 9 plus Bee Orchids. Butterflies seen were Common Blue (2), Red Admiral and Comma. Dragonflies included Four Spotted Chaser, Broad Bodied Chaser and many Azure Damselflys.
We ended the day at Westbere but could only find one Scarce Chaser alongside the River Stour, together with 5 Banded Demoiselle.

We badly need the sun to get things moving here in Kent.
Dave
Attachments
Common Blue at Wye NR.
Common Blue at Wye NR.
Scarce Chaser along the River Stour at Westbere
Scarce Chaser along the River Stour at Westbere
Bee Orchid at Castle Hill Folkestone
Bee Orchid at Castle Hill Folkestone

millerd

Post by millerd »

I am happy to be corrected, but that Blue looks more like an Adonis to me. The black chequering on the fringes looks as if it reaches the edges of the wings.

Dave

dave brown

Post by dave brown »

Thank you Neil and Dave. I am happy to be corrected. Looking at it more carefully, (I know I should always), I fully agree that the black on the fringe fully reaches the edge and therefore makes it Adonis, our first of the year.

SATURDAY 16 JUNE 2012.
What can I say about today that is acceptable on a forum. Heavy cloud, dull and very strong winds. Even a heavy rain shower at one time. We did go to Stodmarsh in the believe that something should be on the wing, although most things seemed to disagree with our logic. We did see 4 Red Admirals and a Large White, also a few Blue Tailed Damselflys, a Marsh Harrier and still good numbers of Swifts. That was it really.

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Dave and Mike for the information we'll go there when we arrive first i think, Herne Bay road, 2 miles after leaving Sturry. If I write it down it goes into my head better :D Tell me have you ever been to Denge Woods :?: we went last year and didn't see very much but the year before we saw Silver Washed Fritilaries, Red Admiral and White Admiral, not too mention Ringlets and Gate Keepers, it's worth a visit, it' s also got Duke-of-Burgandy, but we're never there in time to see them we go up to Gaits Barrow here for those. Goldie :)

dave brown

Post by dave brown »

SUNDAY 17 JUNE 2012
We had heard that a fellow UKB member had seen and photographed a Norfolk Hawker on his local patch in Kent. This is the 3rd record of this species in Kent in the last two years so does a breeding pair(s) exist? Today we took the opportunity to check Chislet Marshes, an area near his local patch and and a good spot with several ditches and dykes. Of course we failed, but thats the point of checking an area, you never know. We did see 11 Red Eyed Damselflies, 5 Blue Tailed, 1 Azure Damselfly, Banded DEmoiselle and a Turtle Dove. But no butterflies.

MONDAY 18 JUNE 2012
With a reasonable day in prospect we checked WYE NR. Near to the Late Spider Orchids, many of which have now gone over, we found 1 Adonis Blue, 1 Common Blue, 2 Small Heaths, 1 Pyramdial Orchid and 4 distant Common Buzzards.

TUESDAY 19 JUNE 2012.
With fine weather forecast we made or way to Sandwich Bay to view the Lizard Orchids. It appeared that many others had the same idea as there was a steady stream of admirers all morning. We started the day at the Field Centre to see an area of field that contained many Southern Marsh Orchids and one orchid that shows all the features of the sub species known as Leopard Orchid. Next we took the public footpath from the Field Centre to the sea front that crosses the golf course. The groundsmen there really look after the orchids on their course and leave many areas untouched or marked off. You must remain on the footpath but many Lizard Orchids are at its the side or on the grass verges of the sea front road. We estimated in excess of 300 Lizard Orchids supported by many Pyramidal, 6 Bee Orchids, many Common Broomrapes with a number of Clove Scented Broomrape (also known as Bedstraw Broomrape).
Butterflies were well down on previous visits with 14 Small Heath, 2 Large White and 1 Common Blue. All the locals are also reporting greatly reduced numbers so it is not just us. Perhaps this part of Kent suffered badly in the artic winter conditions we expierenced.
We then spent a lot of time looking for the nationally rare Sand Catchfly on the sea front dune system without luck. Back at the Centre we mentioned our failure to see this plant when a very kind lady offered to show us some. Back we went on the long walk, but it was worth it when she pointed out an area containing 30 plants. This flower is only about 60-70mm tall so it is no wonder we failed to find it in amongst all the grasses. A delightful little flower, although most were actually not in flower.
This was a really enjoyable day out at a lovelly location.
Dave
Attachments
Lizard Orchid Sandwich Bay
Lizard Orchid Sandwich Bay
Sand Catchfly at Sandwich Bay sea front.
Sand Catchfly at Sandwich Bay sea front.

dave brown

Post by dave brown »

Just an update on the Heath Frits at East Blean Wood, mainly for Goldies benefit, but may be of use to other visitors. I understand that a casual count yesterday in fairly good conditions produced 70 number, with many around the car park area. Being that many were also in reasonable condition I would say that this weekend and next week will be good for them (assuming it is not raining).

Dave

dave brown

Post by dave brown »

With the weather warming up a little and less rain of late, (did I really say that), with have managed a few locations where butterflies should be, but I have to say numbers are still very disappointing. It appears to be the turn of the north to get the rain and I really feel sorry for those locations that had so much in a little space of time. It tends to put things into perspective when things like that happen.

WEDNESDAY 20 JUNE 2012.
Today we checked last years site for the rediscovery of the Dainty Damselfly, which incidently is also quite good for butterflies. Alas no sign of any Dainty's and both dragonflies and butterflies numbers disappointing. 50 Blue Tailed Damselflies, 1 Hairy Hawker, 1 Four Spotted Chaser, 2 Burnet Companion, 3 Cinnabar moths, 5 Common Blues, 11 Small Heaths, 6 Large Skippers, 1 Small Skipper and a Red Admiral.
We ended the day checking a site near Brook where the endangered Black Veined moth hangs on. Today we only saw 2 individuals and 3 Common Blues. Nearby the Late Spider Orchids were going over but a few were still good to see.

SATURDAY 23 JUNE 2012.
Today we revisited Parkgate Down in the hope of seeing Musk Orchid and downland butterflies. We normally see Musk Orchids here in single figures so it was much to our surprise to find at least 217 out in flower. Speaking to someone who visited later he said that in all there was just over 500 if you count those yet to flower. So the bad weather appears to have been good for at least one species. A Greater Butterfly Orchid was going over but there was a good showing of Common Spotted and Fragrant Orchids. Butterflies though were really poor with only 1 Common Blue, 2 Large Skippers, 3 Red Admirals and a Silver Y.

SUNDAY 24 June 2012.
Today we visited Dungeness but in reality we should have stayed at home. It was hard going and very little to report. The always friendly observatory warden said the area had been very quite all week and even moth numbers were very low.

MONDAY 25 JUNE 2012.
A local visit today to WYE NR. At last a few butterflies with a good support of Orchids. 4 Ringlets, 9 Meadow Browns, 5 Large Skippers, 3 Common Blues, Small Heath and Red Admiral. 4 Bee Orchids, 250 plus Common Spotted and 200 plus Pyramidal Orchids.
We ended the day at Eastwell Church where 3 Spotted Flycatchers seemed to be finding plenty of insects.

I seem to recall the recent series of Springwatch suggesting that butterfly numbers were about 20% down. That may be nationally, but here in East Kent I would suggest that the figure is probably nearer 40 or even 50%. Very worrying for some species.

Dave
Attachments
Large Skipper at Parkgate.
Large Skipper at Parkgate.
One of only two Black Veined moths we could find this year.
One of only two Black Veined moths we could find this year.
Musk Orchid at Parkgate Down. The plants there are really small (75mm tall).
Musk Orchid at Parkgate Down. The plants there are really small (75mm tall).
This Yellow Wagtail was near Kingsferry Bridge.
This Yellow Wagtail was near Kingsferry Bridge.

dave brown

Post by dave brown »

A further update for Goldie M with regards the East Blean Heath Frits. We called in this afternoon for a quick check on the situation. You need not worry if you are still intending to visit tomorrow. We saw 54 plus within 50 metres of the car park. Indeed we even had a few fly over and past the car in the car park. Many are still in very good condition and will make excellant photos, so we hope you have a good day. Remember to take the Herne Bay road out of Sturry (over Sturry railway level crossing and immediately left, up the hill) and then look for a road on your right called Hicks Forstall Road after about 2 miles. The car park is at the eastern end of the wood.

TUESDAY 26 JUNE 2012.
Today we visited Langdon Bay. I seem to remember many years ago visiting there to see Small Blue, but today we could find none in a two hour search. Infact the only butterflies we found were 4 Large Whites, 2 Meadow Browns and a Small Skipper. Not very good at all.

FRIDAY 29 JUNE 2012.
Today we returned to Wye NR as this usually is fairly good. Despite reasonable weather we only managed to find 7 Ringlets, 11 Meadow Browns, 3 Common Blues, 2 Large Whites, Red Admiral and one very poor condition Brown Argus. Where have they all gone. The lower slopes were almost devoid of butterflies and day time flying moths.

SATURDAY 30 JUNE 2012.
As mentioned above we saw 54 Heath Frits, 2 Meadown Browns and a distance butterfly which I am convinced was White Admiral, at East Blean Woods. Earlier we had seen 5 Red Admirals, 2 Large Whites, Large Skipper and Comma at Stodmarsh. Dragonflies were just as scarce with only one Hairy Hawker, 1 Broad Bodied Chaser and a few Common Blue Damselflies. 5 Marsh Harriers and 4 Cettis Warblers did little to lift the gloom.

We urgently need a warm dry spell to help our insects recover.

Dave

Gothic_dreams

Post by Gothic_dreams »

Some lovely photos Dave, I like the Black Veined moth :)

Chris

dave brown

Post by dave brown »

Thanks Gothic_dreams for the kind comments.
I am currently sitting here updating this forum when we should be in Scotland looking at Mountain Ringlet, Northern Brown Argus, Azure Hawker and other northern delights. Don't ask, just look at the weather forecast. At least we did not suffer directly by the flooding unlike many people.
TUESDAY 3RD JULY 2012.
A text message sent us rushing off to Dungeness following a report of a Little Swift on the ARC pit. Despite a lot of people looking no further sign was seen of what would have been a mega bird for Kent. It could have been the one seen a week ago on New Brighton near Liverpool. No butterflies were seen during our 2 hours there, indeed very little of anything except the flock of over 200 Swifts and 3 House Martins.
SATURDAY 7TH JULY 2012.
A quick afternoon visit to Oare Marshes produced 45 Avocets but again no butterflies or Dragonflies.
SUNDAY 8TH JULY 2012.
With a 2 hour break in the dull weather we called in at Hamstreet Woods and were rewarded with a decent showing of butterflies. Our first Marbled Whites of the year and our first definite White Admiral. Ringlet 40 plus, Marbled White 7, White Admiral 5, Large Skipper 11, Meadow Brown 15, Silver Y 7, Southern Hawker and 4 Common Darters. With such a decent showing we quickly moved onto to Warehorne to see if any White Letter Hairstreaks were on the wing. Alas we could not find any but did see Meadow Brown 20, Large Skipper 3, Blue Tailed Damselfly 10, Comon Darter 1 and a Red Admiral.
MONDAY 9TH JULY 2012.
Today we called in at a site near Maidstone to see if any Yellow Birds Nest (plant) were out at what may be Kents only site. The answer was no but we did see 12 Ringlets. Next stop was Elmley RSPB reserve where we were pleasantly surprised to see an emergance of Meadow Browns. We counted 300 on roadside verges but the fields contained many more and numbers must have been in the hundreds. Every Knapweed seemed to have 3 or 4 on it and considering the scarcity of butterflies this year this sighting was very welcome. Also 11 Large Whites, 1 Small White, 4 Large Skippers, 1 Yellow Shell (moth), 2 Wood Sandpipers and 4 Marsh Harriers. Best of all was a mobile Quail calling alongside the main entrance track. At times we began to wonder if two birds were present due to calling from different parts of the roadside. It certainly seemed to be able to move quite some distance without being seen.

Looking at the forecast there seems to be a further week or two of this poor weather so not sure what will happen to our local Chalkhill Blue. Only time will tell.

Dave.
Attachments
White Admiral at Hamstreet Wood
White Admiral at Hamstreet Wood
Ringlet at Hamstreet Wood
Ringlet at Hamstreet Wood
Heath Fritillary at East Blean Wood
Heath Fritillary at East Blean Wood

dave brown

Post by dave brown »

WEDNESDAY 11 JULY 2012
Today looked promising so an early morning visit to WYE NR was undertaken. Still very little sign of any Blues but numbers of other butterflies was encouraging.
Meadown Brown 85, Ringlet 55, Large Skipper 4, Small Skipper 2, Small Heath 2 and 1 Comma. Also 6 Silver Y moths, 4 Common Darters, a Common Buzzard and many Fragrant and Pyramdial Orchids.
Next was a wood near Chilham where numbers were much lower and no sign of any White Admirals. Meadow Brown 27, Ringlet 18 and one Large Skipper.
THURSDAY 12 JULY 2012.
This time of the year we often visit Warehorne for White Letter Hairstreak. It used to be a very good spot but the last few years has seen single figure numbers. Today we managed to see only one, together with 5 Purple Hairstreaks. Also present 2 Marbled Whites, 5 Small Skippers, 4 Large Skippers, numerous Meadow Browns and one Hoggers. Yes, we had the pleasure of meeting fellow UKB member Hoggers (Paul). We spent a very interesting hour together talking about the butterfly scene whilst straining our necks to pick out any White Letter Hairstreaks. As we left we sighted 3 different Brown Hawkers, our first of the year.
We both went on to do other things, but strangely bumped into each other in the Hamstreet Woods complex. We left him looking for Silver Washed Fritillary whilst we were just looking. This walk was quite rewarding seeing a total of 7 White Admirals and our first Gatekeeper of the year.
Species seen were Meadow Brown, Ringlet, Large Skipper, Small Skipper, Marbled White, White Admiral, Large White, Gatekeeper, Ringlet, Red Admiral, Southern Hawker and Common Darter.
A really good day all round.

Today we bumped into a local well respected Orchid and Butterflier who confirmed what we already knew, and that was no Burnt Tip Orchids were seen in Kent this year (unless any one out there knows better). This is the 3rd year running where no one seems to have seen any. Hopefully they are not lost to Kent, unlike the Frog Orchid which has not been seen for at least 15 years. We lost the Pearl Bordered Fritillary about 20 years ago, probably the Frog Orchid and now possibly the Burnt Tip Orchid. Lets hope for better news next year. Incidently, there has been an attempt to reintroduce the Pearl Border at a West Kent RSPB reserve the last couple of years. I am sure that news will eventually be released on how successful that has been.

Dave

dave brown

Post by dave brown »

What an enjoyable hobby nature watching is. We had gone out yesterday (Saturday) with no expectations at all. It was dull and showery when we left home so it was more a case of being out in the open air, However, it actually turned out to be a very good day. Nothing too exciting, just the unexpected.
SATURDAY 14 JULY 2012.
It had been nearly two weeks since we had visited Dungeness, (almost unheard of), but we were aware that things had been really quiet. We drove by the ARC pit and saw little other than a flock of about 200 Swifts and 5 Sand Martins. However, on entering the Dungeness Estate in, by now, decent weather, we saw the Observatory team of David and Gill on their hands and knees searcing the ground in amongst a big group of wild flowers, mainly Burgloss. Always a good sign to see the very helpful and knowlegable team looking intently downwards with cameras in their hands. Both are not only good birders but use the summer months to sharpen their extensive botany skills. They had found at least a dozen Red Hemp-Nettle plants, a fast declining species of waste and disturbed ground. Better still was the presence of a number of very small bettles on the plants which they photographed for later identification. Apparently Red Hemp Nettle attracts a very rare beetle. We spent a very pleasant hour with them during which time we learnt that the Stinking Hawksbeard were out and a Small Fan Footed Wave was on show at the Obs. So off we went to see the moth, the only one on show due to the continuing very poor and wet weather. On returning David and Gill had been joined by another good botanist from the past, Steve, who was a Dungeness regular in the eighties and early nineties. We ended the day looking at a big group of Stinking Hawksbeard. This plant had been declared extinct in Britain some 20 years ago but everyone seemed to miss a big patch near some housing. Since then a few plants were introduced at Rye and a few other sites, but I believe the Dungeness site remains the only wild one. One thing I did learn was that you have to see the plant early in the day, as like we saw, the plant closes up.
SUNDAY 15 JULY 2012.
Butterflies at last. A visit to Wye NR produced 46 Marbled White, 32 Meadow Browns, 8 Ringlets, 3 Small Heath, 1 Large and 1 Small Kipper. What a good end to the weekend.

Dave
Attachments
The Marbled White has to be one of Britains most attractive butterflies.
The Marbled White has to be one of Britains most attractive butterflies.
Red Hemp-Nettle. A new plant for us, found by the Observatory Team.
Red Hemp-Nettle. A new plant for us, found by the Observatory Team.
This group of Stinking Hawksbeard had closed up for the day time we arrived early pm.
This group of Stinking Hawksbeard had closed up for the day time we arrived early pm.
Just how many can you get on one plant?
Just how many can you get on one plant?

dave brown

Post by dave brown »

TUESDAY 17 JULY 2012.
Today we visited Rye Harbour Nature Reserve. There has been real effort to improve this nature reserve over the last few years and now it must be one of the best in the South East for waders and breeding gulls and terns. It was no surprise to see many Sandwich and Common Terns as we walked the trail, although I understand they have had a very poor breeding success this year. The star of the reserve is the Little Tern, and despite a good start I believe all young were lost to predation. However, the target of our visit today was infact a plant. Rye is one of very few places in Britain for Least Lettuce and even here it is hard to find. Today was no exception for we failed to find any near the old lifeboat station, its tradition site. It should be out now, but this year is so strange that maybe its just late. A second visit will be required.
Butterflies were around in reasonable numbers. 1 Small Copper, 5 Gatekeepers, 30 plus Meadow Browns and 4 Large Whites.
Next we visited Beckley Woods in East Sussex for our annual fix of Silver Washed Fritillary. Numbers were down but we did see 11 individuals, together with 25 Ringlets and many Common Browns. Just two dragonflies, Brown Hawker and Common Darter, and surprisingly no White Admirals.
On the way home we saw 3 Turtle Doves at Warehorne, a decreasing bird of the British Countryside.

Last night we ran the moth trap. Nothing special caught, although a Buff-tip was a pleasing reward.

With warmer weather on the horizon perhaps the late butterflies will give us a show that will help us forget this very poor summer, that also cost us a cancelled holiday in a very wet Scotland.
Attachments
Silver Washed Fritillary at Beckley Woods.
Silver Washed Fritillary at Beckley Woods.
This Buff-tip moth is a master of disguise.
This Buff-tip moth is a master of disguise.

dave brown

Post by dave brown »

THURSDAY 19 JULY 2012
Its raining purple. Sorry, not Emperors only Hairstreaks. 17 of them, whilst actually looking for Emperor in Hamstreet Wood. We are aware that the Purple Emperor is seen most years in very low numbers (1 or 2) at Hamstreet. We also know the rough location so today we spent several hours checking for this magnificant butterfly. Although we failed we did note that almost every oak tree had one or two Purple Hairstreaks and 17 was the minimum number we saw, ( we tried not to double count any that moved between trees). The Marble Whites had fallen off very quicikly with only one present, although Ringlets (42) were still numerous. Also seen, 20 Large Whites, 2 Large Skippers, 9 Small Skippers, 8 Meadow Browns, 2 Red Admirals, 2 Silver Y's, 10 Crossbills, Brown Hawker, Southern Hawker and 3 Common Darter. A really pleasant few hours.
SATURDAY 21 JULY 2012.
A walk along the Military Canal at Warehorne to look for White Letter Hairstreak failed to locate. This is really disappointing as this particular colony was always very small. Lets hope its not lost. We did see 5 Small Skippers, 12 Meadow Browns, 6 Gatekeepers, Marbled White, 5 Red Eyed Damselflies and Large Red Damselfly. We also had a brief glimpse of what only could have been a male Redstart. Unable to relocate this must remain unconfirmed in such an unusual location for July in Kent. Later in the day we visited the concrete jungle of Ashford Town centre, and there sitting up high on the biggest building around was an Eagle Owl. News had broken of its presence the previous day, infact it is believed to have been present for 3 or 4 weeks. Probably an escape, but who knows these days. It certainly was impressive in size and shape. It would move around a little, but generally starred at you with those big red eyes. It was also seen to eat a pigeon during the afternoon, and probably explains the reduction in pigeon, gull and rat numbers around the building. Hopefully it will remain for a while and allow all to see.
I will update with a few photos in a day or so.

Dave

dave brown

Post by dave brown »

I have added a photo of the Eagle Owl at Ashford and a Purple Hairstreak at Hamstreet.

SUNDAY 22 JULY 2012.
In really good weather we paid a visit to Cliffe RSPB reserve. We hoped to see the rarer dragonflies together with good numbers of butterflies. Disappointingly the butterflies were in very low numbers and only one other person was present. Very unusual on both counts. We spent a very pleasant hour or so in the company of Mike and our patience was rewarded with at least 7 Scarce Emerald Damselflies. The larger hawkers were none existant. Apart from 25 Small Heath butterflies we really struggled with other species, although Ringlet, Meadow Brown, Gatekeeper, Red Admiral and Comma were noted. We did see 2 Marbled Whites from the 1st ramp, but no Wall Browns. 3 Essex Skippers were also identified but we normally see dozens of all the species mentioned. 2 Greenshank, 4 Ruff and 4 Little Egrets were the bird highlights.
The Scarce Emeralds were on the track that heads NE opposite the second ramp, on the left hand side in the ditch that runs alongside the track, between the second and third gate.

dave
Attachments
One of the 17 seen at Hamstreet. This one came down the lowest but was still quite high up.
One of the 17 seen at Hamstreet. This one came down the lowest but was still quite high up.
The Eagle Owl in Ashford. Really impressive in size whether its an escape or not. Seen to eat a feral pigeon just before we arrived.
The Eagle Owl in Ashford. Really impressive in size whether its an escape or not. Seen to eat a feral pigeon just before we arrived.

Return to “Personal Diaries”