Best Week For Chequered Skipper

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Jack Harrison

Re: Best Week For Chequered Skipper

Post by Jack Harrison »

Cour bridge
I found no CHs at all along the road just to the east of the railway bridge at:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=22 ... 81550&lm=0

Is that called Cour Bridge?

Jack
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

The Cour is further along the road from Spean Br. at http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=22 ... 81100&lm=0 I saw CS there in 2007.

The CS colonies in the area seem to emerge a little later than at Glasdrum.

Mike
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Jack
Mike beat me to it - it is where I saw my first ever CS.
Can you PM me with some info on your trip to Mull?

I am leaving tomorrow afternoon for Scotland.
Very excited.

Weather looks favourable- Saturday 14-17 degrees with little or no cloud, and a light NE breeze.
Sunday 9-14 degrees with clear skies with light cloud arriving in the afternoon on a light NE breeze.

Glen Loy, Spean Bridge and Loch Arkaig will be my main targets.
Saturday early p.m. Glen Loy
Saturday late p.m Spean Bridge
Sunday a.m. Loch Arkaig
If anyone fancies meeting up, PM me for a phone number.
I am hoping that my mate Reverdin will be there also??
Cheers

Roger
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

May I recommend anyone going to the Fort William area for Chequered Skipper to take the A861 to Strontian and visit the wonderful Ariundle (Airigh Fhionndail) NNR just North of there.
DSC_9804-01 [640x480].jpg

It is a beautiful Atlantic Oak wood with good numbers of CS and magnificent scenery. Continue west to Glenuig Bay for great views out to the Islands and then return by the A830 past Glenfinnan. In good weather, it makes a splendid trip.

Mike
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Mike
That looks excellent. I am planning to use the Lochaline ferry to Mull, and that is en-route.
Thanks
Cheers

Roger
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Roger is
planning to use the Lochaline ferry to Mull
If you haven't been before Roger, you're in for a delightful surprise. Mull is absolutely gorgeous. I intend to go time and again, but if we can sort out finances, Stella and I would move there. It's full of "ex-pat" English and we felt really at home. And you can even get decent real ale here, unusual for Scotland.

The lady on the left is already spoken for :)

Jack
Attachments
Tobermory.jpg
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Jack
Thanks for that. I have never been to Mull (but I don't know why? - it is just one of those things....)
I have done a lot of research and am really looking forward to it.
I have a boat trip booked to see the Sea Eagles feed on Tuesday (it seems the same boat trip is to be featured on Springwatch shortly - possibly tonight? http://www.mullcharters.co.uk ). I am also contemplating doing a day trip with a local wildlife guide - but I wonder just how much more I will see than on my own - who knows?
I also plan a trip out to see Fingle's Cave and some puffin nesting.
A day trip to Iona for Corncrake (even just hearing them will be brilliant) is also planned.
Anything I have missed?
Did you find Marsh Frits?

Good new about the beer. Do you happen to know if whisky is also available? :wink:
Cheers

Roger
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Fingal's Cave (Staffa) and (Isle of) Lunga for close-up Puffins can be combined in one day trip. You land at both places but I found the terrain too difficult for me. Even super-fit Stella found it quite hard work.

On Staffa, you use a rocky path with minimal safety railing. In the cave itself the rail is on the WRONG side, ie by the wall so you walk along the top of an unguarded precipice.

The shore on Lunga beat me and I just didn't feel able to clamber over the rocks, irregular uneven shape with big gaps (see photo). But you will see plenty of Puffins and other Auks including a smattering of Black Guillemots in the air and on the water.

Tip: We tried to book Staffa only but there were not enough takers. So we were instead given the Staffa/Lunga whole day for the same price!! (circa £28 each)

WT and Golden Eagles from either side of Loch na Keal but we saw them elsewhere as well.

Butterflies on Mull? Forget it. GV Whites in abundance, a few Small Heaths and Green Hairstreaks and an unidentified Nymphalid seen briefly as it cross in front of car (Peacock/Tort/Red Admiral?) Nothing else. No Marsh Frits although they do apparently occur in the Glen Gorm area in the north of the island. I saw none but didn't search very hard.
Attachments
12-05-21-833-Lunga.jpg
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Roger. Check out this one on the cliff above landing stage at Staffa. There are certainly plenty of Fulmars flying around Staffa (and other islands) and I assumed this must be a nesting bird. But it's red bill struck me as odd for a Fulmar and not the colour as shown in the guidebooks or online images. Colour reproduction here is quite accurate. I presume it is just an ordinary Fulmar?
Jack
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Better idea Roger of what you would be in for on Lunga. Cross the boulder field and then climb up to the top for the Puffins.
Jack
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Jack
Looks very like a Lesser Black-backed Gull to me.

I shall check it out.

Cheers
Cheers

Roger
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

Jack Harrison wrote: And you can even get decent real ale here, unusual for Scotland.
Oi, you obviously frequent the wrong pubs! :wink:

There should also be Speckled Wood & SPBF on Mull atm .
It's also not too shabby for odonata.

& if anybody is visiting the West Highlands in the next few weeks & could spare some time to check out a 1km square for CS it would be appreciated - they've already found CS in 3 new squares this year :D
http://www.butterfly-conservation.org/t ... uares.html

Return to “Sites”