Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Sussex Kipper

Post by Neil Hulme »

Highland Fling (Part 2)

Allt Mhuic Butterfly Reserve lies on scenic banks of Loch Arkaig, which of the three locations I visited for Chequered Skipper was the most beautiful. Despite a strong urge to get there and see the butterfly it was simply impossible not to behave like a tourist and repeatedly stop to take in the views. The first image shows a view over Loch Lochy at the point where it joins Arkaig. Despite it being a weekend this stunning landscape was enjoyed in silence, completely uncluttered by people.
UKB2 Where L. Lochy meets L. Arkaig.jpg
I soon stopped again on the banks of Loch Arkaig, where the reserve can just be seen in the righthand middle distance, between two blocks of conifer.
UKB2 L. Arkaig.jpg
Here the butterflies were just emerging, usually found in boggy depressions adjacent to the crystal clear mountain streams. It was already too hot for any chance of an open wing shot but the undersides are equally pretty. Although I suspect that many other sites support much larger populations I would say a visit to the area must always include a stop at Allt Mhuic.
UKB2 CS3 Arkaig.jpg
UKB2 CS1 Arkaig.jpg
UKB2 CS4 Arkaig.jpg
UKB2 CS2 Arkaig.jpg

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Colin. Last part on its way!
Neil

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Excellent stuff Neil! If I hadn't managed to make the trip oop north myself I'd be even more gutted than I am at seeing your stunning shots! The region is just so beautiful I do feel that a few rare butterflies is the icing on the cake, and would love to spend an entire summer getting to know the Scottish Highlands (including pronunciations - at least I now know how to pronounce Allt Mhuic thanks to ScottD!). Roll on retirement!

BTW - I forgot to mention that your ovipositing Duchess shot is amazing! Either Dan Hoare or Tim Bernhard (can't remember who!) asked me for just such a thing a while back and I had (and still have) nowt.

Great stuff.

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
David M

Post by David M »

Incredible to see snow on the high peaks when the temperature lower down is 26c+.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Neil,

Great work in difficult conditions.

The shot of Loch Lochy at the point where it joins Arkaig is lovely and reminds me of several visits to Scotland (in my non butterfly days). The first and third McSkipper shots from Part 1 are particularly good. I wish I'd been there ...

Speak soon.

Kind regards. Mark

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Highland Fling (Part 3)

Glasdrum is the earliest, most accessible and probably most visited of the three sites. The one thing that all locations have in common is the stunning landscape in which they are set. The camera was out once more to photograph the view over Loch Creran.
UKB3 Loch Creran.jpg
With the local season being that much more advanced this was the only site where I saw female Chequered Skippers (last three images), including one in flagrante. As with other species, the female is a good deal more reserved than the highly combative males; she is also slightly larger and the markings are more of a cream colour.

Amongst the carpet of bluebells were also good numbers of Pearl-bordered Fritillary, together with a few very fresh looking Small PBF. As I sat on a rock by one of the small streams, enjoying the last rays of sunshine, the song of a wood warbler came floating down the hillside. I think I'll be returning here next spring.
UKB3 CS1 Glasdrum.jpg
UKB3 CS5 Glasdrum.jpg
UKB3 CS2 Glasdrum.jpg
UKB3 CS4 Glasdrum.jpg
UKB3 CS3 Glasdrum.jpg
UKB3 CS6 Glasdrum.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks all. I feel very lucky to have been in the right place at the right time.
Neil

Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

I think you are being modest Neil you have obviously put a lot of effort into being in the right place at the right time - an absolutelyl stunning set of photos - especially the scenic ones which really set the scene - the weather looked fantastic :D Mark

The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Wonderful series of photos, Neil. It looks as though the weather was even better than I had during my visit in 2007!

Mike

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Yes,those scenery shots are cracking,and the Skipper ones aren't bad either! Wish i could have been there.
It is no suprise that the season is more advanced there-the weather has been consistantly sunnier/warmer in north-west of the country than down south this spring.

Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

An amazing set of images Neil :mrgreen:.
My favourite butterfly-related ones are definately those from Glasdrum. I'll be up there myself in 10 days time and hope to get the chance to sneak off to Glen Loy for an hour.

Vince

selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Hi Neil
Looks like you did exactly the same "tour of mid Scotland" as I did, only a few days later. I too will never forget such glorious conditions and scenery, and the complete tranquility. Simply awe inspiring.
Paul

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks again to all for your generous comments. Certainly a season highlight for me and one for the memory banks.
Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Dukes On South Today

A couple of days back I took Mia Iris (a.k.a. Sussex Nipper) up onto the Downs behind Storrington, primarily to ensure there were sufficient Duke of Burgundy still around for filming by the local BBC. The trip to Scotland was fantastic, but I was even happier spending the afternoon with my daughter, tucked away in a seldom visited corner on my patch. She seemed genuinely fascinated by these little things fluttering around her, although I doubt she recognised the differences between the Duke of Burgundy, Dingy and Grizzled Skipper, Green Hairstreak, Wall, Brown Argus, Common Blue (images of female below), Small Heath, Small Copper and Small Blue, despite my coaching.
UKB Mia butterfly spotter.jpg
UKB Common Blue female (2) 29.5.12..jpg
UKB Common Blue female (1) 29.5.12.jpg
UKB Common Blue female (3) 29.5.12.jpg
The filming went OK despite initially iffy weather and the piece appeared on BBC South Today this evening (31.5.12). It can be viewed for a while on the BBC IPlayer at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 1_05_2012/ from 23.06 onwards.

Susie

Post by Susie »

She's gorgeous! :-D

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Small Pearls And A Little Gem

Today (2nd June) I spent a very enjoyable couple of hours with my father at our Park Corner Heath and Rowland Wood Reserve near Lewes. The main target was Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary, which started to emerge last week. Initially we found it difficult to confirm the presence of more than 4 or 5 male SPBFs on the central part of Park Corner Heath, although they are difficult to count as they roam widely over the area. However, just as it was time to depart we discovered a group of 3 at the far, lower end of PCH, which had clearly just emerged that morning and were still a little unsteady on the wing. The dark markings exhibited that purplish gloss that only the freshest specimens show. Also on view at PCH was a pretty Cream-spot Tiger moth and several Grizzled Skippers, including a well-worn ab. intermedia.

The best find was on the Rowland Wood Reserve. My father spotted a Grizzled Skipper which in flight had that characteristic pale look of a good 'ab.'. As it settled we were pleased to see that it was a nice example of a female ab. taras. Undoubtedly born and bred on the new reserve this gives real hope that the extended habitat will become home to significant numbers of this beautiful aberrant form. SPBFs are yet to emerge in this part of the wood but Small Heath numbers are clearly building well.
UKB SPBF (1), Rowland Wood 2.6.12.jpg
UKB SPBF (2), Rowland Wood 2.6.12.jpg
UKB ab. taras (1), Rowland Wood 2.6.12.jpg
UKB ab. taras (2), Rowland Wood 2.6.12.jpg
UKB ab. taras (3), Rowland Wood 2.6.12.jpg
UKB ab. taras (4), Rowland Wood 2.6.12.jpg

Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

My wife Yvonne told me to let you know that your abs look very nice Neil! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Trouble is, I have no option but to agree with her :oops:

Trev

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Mrs Trev. I do try to work on my abs. If the weather wasn't so poor I might have even travelled north for those buff, white SPBFs, hoping to get Mountain Ringlet on the overshoot.
Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Sitting Ducks

I delayed posting my first Heath Fritillary shot of the year, taken at the back end of last week, largely because I'd hoped to return almost immediately for another session with them. This being 2012 the weather soon put a damper on that idea. Rare and beautiful as they are, a trip to Blean Woods is always like shooting ducks in a barrel. Park, get out of car, trip over them! That said, it will require a good warm and sunny day or two to lure them out in any numbers.
UKB Heath Frit, Blean Woods.jpg

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Neil:
hoping to get Mountain Ringlet on the overshoot
When I was chatting to Iain Leach in Glen Loy, we said that you had finally "ticked" Chequered Skipper and that just left Mountain Ringlet.
We were unsure whether Mountain Ringlet was on your never-having-seen missing list or merely on your not-yet-photographed list.

Jack

Return to “Personal Diaries”