Mark Colvin

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Mark Colvin

Re: Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

West Sussex, 23 May 2012

Out and about ...

With just 45 minutes to spare before heading off to collect my son, I arrived at a very hot and humid Kithurst Hill at 3pm. A quick scout around produced a number of species including Dingy Skipper, Grizzled Skipper, Holly Blue, Small Blue and five Duke of Burgundy, including a pristine egg-laying female.

Before dinner I took myself off for a short walk. I headed off through the small copse to the rear of my house and out into the damp meadow known locally as Alder Platt Meadow. I was rather pleased I did, as after only a short time I located several Grizzled Skipper taking in the last of the afternoon sun before going down to roost. I have never seen Grizzled Skipper in this location before, though I expect this is more down to an oversight on my part than a new colony.

With perfect light and calm conditions I set to work …

Species seen today:

Grizzled Skipper
Dingy Skipper
Peacock
Orange Tip
Brimstone
Small Heath
Holly Blue
Small Blue
Duke of Burgundy
Green-veined White
UKBP1030175.JPG
UKBP1030162.JPG
Last edited by Mark Colvin on Thu May 24, 2012 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Susie

Post by Susie »

It looks like she's having a doze as she sunbathes in that first pic. Lovely. :D

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Kithurst Hill, 24 May 2012

Early evening ...

After a very long hot day ...
UKBP1030507.JPG
UKBP1030517.JPG

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Mill Hill, 31 May 2012

An early bird ...

It would be fair to say that I’ve really been struggling to get out recently, particularly early morning and evening my two favourite times of the day. Today was different and as my alarm woke me at 4am, that tingle of tired excitement gripped me prior to an early session on Shoreham Bank. Arriving shortly after 5am the sun was just breaking the horizon to the far east of the hill, whose sheltered, southwest facing chalk slopes awaited its warming rays of light. Roosting in the long grass and scrub, the Adonis Blue were easy to find in good numbers along with resting Small Heath and Small Copper. Colin Knight joined me shortly after my arrival and between us, following Colin’s transect route of the site, we counted 92 male and 22 female Adonis Blue along with 29 Small Heath, 8 Common Blue and a single Small Copper. With roosting photos completed, at 7.45am the first rays of sun began to warm the slopes and the first signs of flight were observed. Just fifteen minutes later and the air above the yellow tinted, vetch covered hill was filled with tiny sapphires.

A beautiful start to the day …

Species seen:

Adonis Blue
Common Blue
Small Heath
Small Copper
UKBP1040146.JPG
UKBP1030869.JPG
Last edited by Mark Colvin on Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Beautiful open wing shot Mark. The just return for a very early start :D .
Best Wishes, Neil

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Mark,

Thats a cracking shot of the male Adonis Blue with its wings open.

All the best,

Nick.

millerd

Post by millerd »

That Adonis is stunning. And the description of a hillside studded with tiny sapphires is just spot on.

Dave

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thanks.

I really appreciate your kind comments :D :D :D

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Warnham LNR, 3 June 2012

Between the showers ...

A family get together late this afternoon meant having to collect my parents with my son at around 2pm. By the time I left home the worst of the early rain had passed by, though the sky was still grey.

I pass Warnham LNR on a regular basis and today was no exception. The temptation was just too much, so I popped in for a quick look around in the hope I might find the beautiful longhorn moth, Nemophora degeerella. It wasn’t long before I found several small groups of recently emerged males ‘dancing’ in the breaking sun. The males can be quite frustrating to photograph and today was no exception, as their antennae can be up to five times their body length and always seem to be accidently cropped out of the shot. Time and patience (and a bit of luck) is required to get a good picture of this beautiful little moth, neither of which I had today. As I left the dancing longhorns and proceeded up through Millpond Plantation, a single male Speckled Wood was found resting on the wet fern.

That brightened my day …
UKBP1040398.JPG
Last edited by Mark Colvin on Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Chiddingfold Forest, 9 and 10 June 2012

A Levels and GCSEs ...

With exam fever continuing to take over our household (hence my lack of recent diary posts), any opportunity to make a dash for fresh air and solitude is grabbed with both hands. A brief chance yesterday afternoon and likewise earlier today was greatly welcomed …

My reward yesterday, a beautiful female Orange Moth (Angerona prunaria). Though pleased, I was rather surprised to see this insect at 3.30 in the afternoon, as the male of this species typically flies at dusk, whilst the rather elusive female, generally much later into the night. It is a widely distributed species and generally only locally common in woodland and heathland across its range. Its larvae feed on a variety of trees and plants including birch, hawthorn, blackthorn and heather. Today as I entered the wood, I was greeted by a small company of the rather enchanting longhorn moth, Nemophora degeerella, gracefully dancing along the edge of the track. Numerous specimens of the highly distinctive Speckled Yellow (Pseudopanthera macularia) were also present, as indeed were numerous Speckled Wood and two Red Admiral making strategic claims for their territories.

A male Stag Beetle (Lucanus cervus), the second I’ve found this year, provided a welcome find to end my visit.

Until next time ...
UKBP1040643.JPG
UKBP1040743.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Alright Mark? Philzoid and I found an Orange Moth at Botany Bay yesterday- could it be the same individual and how can you differentiate between male and female?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Wurzel,

Thanks for your message.

I'm glad to see you are getting about.

The males of Angerona prunaria, in their typical orange form, are generally brighter than the females and usually a bit smaller. The moth usually has a wingspan of between 42-56mm. Other more obvious features, such as abdominal shape and structure of the antennae, are also key indicators of gender. My specimen wasn’t seen in Botany Bay so it was not the same insect as yours, which was also a female. When I visited the area today I also found a male resting under sweet chestnut leaves.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Mark,

Nice photos, that Stag Beetle really is an impressive creature.

All the best ,

Neil F.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Iping and Stedham Commons, 12 June 2012

Desperate times ...

With over a month's rain having fallen over West Sussex in the last 24 hours I was desperate to get out. Continuous rain and serious flooding of many areas yesterday, accounted for several of my local rivers and smaller water courses bursting their banks; the speed and intensity of the rising water quite frightening in some cases ...

After the storm came the calm and this morning I headed for Iping and Stedham Commons to look for the beautiful Silver-studded Blue, which have only recently started to emerge. It took little persuasion to tempt Colin Knight to join me, who was also desperate to be out and about. We headed for a small south facing area of heathland where I discovered good numbers during their peak last year. In the poor light and low ambient temperature, I managed to find just three males in the short time I was there and left Colin in his search for a female. Their emergence this year is some two weeks later than last, with the first individuals of 2011 noted at Iping Common on 26th May. I look forward to watching their peak period of emergence over the next few weeks and getting some pictures in better light.

A butterfly I will never grow bored of watching ...
UKBP1050150.JPG
UKBP1050185.JPG
UKBP1050152.JPG

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Mark,

Lovely photos of a beautiful butterfly.

To my mind this is the most attractive of the blues in this country, the Adonis is brighter but these are more subtle.

All the best,

Neil F.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your kind comments, they are very much appreciated.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Southern England, June 2012

In search of Lady Eleanor …

I have recently been searching for the Glanville Fritillary (Melitaea cinxia) and have made several visits to a number of mainland sites, both traditional, and others of more recent establishment.

I, and indeed many others, have been aware for some time of the presence of an unofficial introduction site for M. cinxia in Surrey. This particular colony appears to have survived well in the conditions provided by the location, which in many ways are similar to the undercliff environments found on the Isle of Wight and at the nearby mainland area at Hordle Cliff. Although sand extraction continued over a period of approximately fifty years until 1993, the site currently lies quiet and is filled with an abundance of both aquatic and terrestrial flora and fauna. Landfilling of the eastern sector of the site ceased in 1990. A further unauthorised site, at Sand Point in Somerset, probably died out in around 2000 after their introduction in 1983, but this would appear to have been restocked, or the butterfly having survived in very low numbers, as M. cinxia has been recorded there in 2012.

So, should they be in Surrey?

Historically, M. cinxia has shown a substantial reduction in its range, surviving in any real numbers at traditional locations only on the southern shores of the Isle of Wight, with occasional reports from the nearby mainland. As recently as 1943 it could readily be found at Christchurch in Hampshire and at several places along the Kent and Sussex coast before 1850. With less certainty, it has been recorded from inland localities in Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire, Wiltshire and Bedfordshire, and even from Fifeshire in Scotland. The Surrey M. cinxia colony, currently in its 10th year, was originally established from 300 larvae from three batches of wild collected webs, which originated from Whale Chine on the Isle of Wight. After release, no adults were seen for 3 years. However, during a cursory inspection of the site, whilst considering the release of their captive cousins as post hibernation larvae, the originator of the colony discovered 39 larval webs. It has been reported that in 2010 the population was huge, with plenty of larval webs covering the site, though numbers dropped in late August of the same year due to the very wet conditions which prevailed. The winter and spring of 2011 looked very poor though the adults emerged and made a good show. Though numbers are generally being reported as low this season, compared to the high of 2010, reports would suggest they are holding their own.

So to answer my question, should they be in Surrey?

I think the simple answer is probably not though there are numerous arguments that could be made for and against such an introduction, including the personal short term satisfaction they give to the onlooker, including myself, though I feel this view may be overlooking the bigger long term conservation picture. I personally don't have a particular problem with re-introducing M. cinxia on the mainland 'providing such releases are approved and backed by appropriate knowledge, research and monitoring', given that a couple of hundred years ago they were found as far north as Lincolnshire. Man has, after all, been responsible for the extermination of many species, never mind colonies, so any efforts to redress the balance is surely to be encouraged. Others will undoubtedly have a different opinion though I do not wish to continue that discussion here …

Further discussion at: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6303

I feel this story is sure to continue …
UKBP1050609.JPG
UKBP1050654.JPG

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Mark,
The top shot in particular is excellent. Lovely pose Eleanor.
Neil

David M

Post by David M »

Mark Colvin wrote:The Surrey M. cinxia colony, currently in its 10th year, was originally established from 300 larvae from three batches of wild collected webs, which originated from Whale Chine on the Isle of Wight. After release, no adults were seen for 3 years. However, during a cursory inspection of the site, whilst considering the release of their captive cousins as post hibernation larvae, the originator of the colony discovered 39 larval webs. It has been reported that in 2010 the population was huge, with plenty of larval webs covering the site, though numbers dropped in late August of the same year due to the very wet conditions which prevailed. The winter and spring of 2011 looked very poor though the adults emerged and made a good show. Though numbers are generally being reported as low this season, compared to the high of 2010, reports would suggest they are holding their own.
Where did you get this information, Mark?

P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Mark,
I have been thinking of the way forward with Wrecclesham in light of some good positive suggestions.The first thing is to find who the present owners are and then to contact them.I have no authority to do this for a group,and as an individual would probably fail.If we could get permission during the butterfly season all we would need is a key to the padlock on the gate,held by a responsible key holder (or two).Is there anyone out there who could approach them on behalf of UKB members or BC members.The place is too wonderful to lose and would make an excellent nature reserve.
P.J.U.

Return to “Personal Diaries”