Jack Harrison

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Jack Harrison

Re: Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Wednesday 2nd May - more from the FZ150.
Small WhiteImage

Large WhiteImage

Both with exposure bias -1.3 (best shots from an exposure bracket sequences) which seems appropriate for "whites". Less bias needed for darker butterflies.

Jack

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Jack Harrison

Sussex 4 & 5 May 2012

Post by Jack Harrison »

Just back from freezing Sussex. I had not appreciated just how cold it can be on the coast in the depth of winter. When I left Worthing on Sunday morning, temperature was 4.5°C.

If anyone wants a recommendation of a hotel in Worthing where NOT to stay, send me a private message. The feedback website only allows rating from 1 to 10 stars. It doesn’t have a zero option; that is a serious omission.

Rewell Wood on 4th & 5th May was a great success but without Neil’s superb field craft, I would have seen just one butterfly. He is so annoying (in the nicest possible sense) that to echo the user name of another ukb contributor, Neil should henceforth be known as “The Annoying Kipper”. Dan Hoare and many others made valuable contributions.

Here is the master in action.

And the royal finger.

Susie getting close up and personal.

“Raindrops are falling on my wings” – Mark Colvin’s find. (look carefully at the butterfly’s forewings).

Jack

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Look at the dust on that lense! No wonder my photos are rubbish! :lol:

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Susie:
Look at the dust on that lens! No wonder my photos are rubbish! :lol:
Isn't PhotoShop wonderful for adding noise and other artefacts? :twisted:
Not really of course. I was using flash so I guess it accentuated any minor dust. You can see the raindrops on the lens barrel. I don't think they are an exaggeration.

Jack

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Jack,

It was good to meet you yesterday and, despite the best of Sussex weather, I'm pleased you managed to get a few species under your belt.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Yes, good to met you Mark.

Sadly it was only the one species (PBF) over the two days I spent in Sussex.

Weather is poor here in Norfolk, a mere 6 degrees, apparently the coldest part of the country. This cold seems to follow me around.

Jack

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

It's a great picture with the raindrops, Jack.

From the near perfection of the symmetry I wonder if a single drop of water was caught between the wings when it folded them, splitting into two when it reopened. Otherwise - wonderful coincidence!

Guy

CAPTION: 'Why do I always lose my contact lenses?!'

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Jack Harrison wrote:This cold seems to follow me around.
In that case, please stay in Norfolk then .... :lol: :lol: :lol:

No seriously, you're more than welcome in Sussex (just don't come during the butterfly season) ...

dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Jack Harrison wrote: Weather is poor here in Norfolk, a mere 6 degrees, apparently the coldest part of the country.
And guess where I've been camping this weekend? Grr. Or brr.

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I tried to initiate a small discussion (small being the operative word) when Neil had that PBF on his finger.

"How much does a butterfly weigh?" (or how many PBFs to the gram?)

We didn't have a clue.

Jack

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Tuesday 8th May - the sun shone (for a time at least) and it wasn't cold. Went to Holme NNR to east of Hunstanton.

There had clearly been a mass emergence of Speckled Woods with unusually large numbers to be found in any sunny patch in the pines. Males only, all sparkling fresh.

Also seen one Small White and half a dozen GV Whites. No Small Coppers today and no Green Hairstreaks, the main targets for the day. Two Cuckoos heard.
Early yesterday morning, heard one briefly in the woods near where I live but not since.

Can anyone identify the tiny flowers? Sandy soil in sunny area among the Corsican Pines on the dunes at Holme.
Speedwells of some sort I would have thought. I have to admit that I hadn't noticed them until I got home and saw the photos.

Jack

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I am in need of cheering up. (Some of you will know of my medical and other problems).

But this brought a smile to my face. Angel was already in the garden when we moved here but I do think she is rather sweet.
Jack
PS. We also inherited a concrete dog. That does not have pride of place.

NickB

Post by NickB »

PS. We also inherited a concrete dog. That does not have pride of place..

...is the garden full of little piles of concrete rubble... ?
:wink:

"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

11th May

While my partner was on her horse, I went for a little walk along a lane in Heacham. It seemed perfect habitat for whites, but this was a huge surprise in the “wrong place”.

I very nearly got the Orange Tip in the same frame, my two favourite butterflies side-by-side.

Panasonic Lumix FZ150 with +2 achromatic close-up lens. Flash used for the Hairstreak to stop wind shake of the plant.

Jack

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Norfolk BC meeting at Stoke Ferry. About 6 – 8 Grizzled Skipper (many eyes in action – well attended field trip) found along the northern side of the Cut Off Channel at approx:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=56 ... 99270&lm=0

Also Small Copper in the area.

I then went on my own to Foulden Common and found another 6 – 8 Grizzled Skippers at approx:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=57 ... 00185&lm=0
(that’s just in from the car park, through gates and turn right)

Jack

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots Jack, I spent all day yesterday looking for Green Hairstreak and you just go for a walk and there they are! :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Jack,

I was hoping a botanist would identify your 'speedwells' so I wouldn't get it wrong and make a fool of myself. But as no one has, I would suggest they are forget-me-nots - not dissimilar to the field forget-me-not, Myosotis arvensis (http://www.plantsystematics.org/imgs/kc ... 14262.html).

As others have said, you're taking some lovely pictures at the moment.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I knew you as an egg in 2010, yes 2010 (that's hibernation for two winters).

Jack

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Jack,

I have read elsewhere about Orange Tips, and also some moths, sometimes overwintering twice as a pupa before emerging. I find this very interesting and can't help but wonder what mechanisms decide how and when this happens.
For instance, in the case of your individual above, why did it not emerge last year when we had a much better Spring from our perspective. Instead it has emerged this Spring when it would seem the conditions are not so favourable, but is that true from the Orange Tips perspective :?:
The Cuckoo flower and Garlic Mustard around here in the midlands is certainly showing better growth than in last years rather dry conditions at the same time of year.

I am also impressed with your photos with your FZ150. Methinks I will be looking at one of these when funds allow me to replace my FZ38 which I bought second hand 18 months ago.

All the best.

Neil F.

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

nfreem wrote:I am also impressed with your photos with your FZ150
Agree wholeheartedly, some wonderful images Jack, hope I can deliver similar with my FZ150, but my camera shake is seriously annoying these days, you really need a good steady hand even with the optical stabilisation built into the modern digital camera's, it appears your hands are more than up to the challenge...unless it's a bonus effect of those candy striped 'joints' your into :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill :D

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk

Return to “Personal Diaries”