Papillons de Montagnes et de Collines

Discussion forum for books and any other media concerning butterflies.
Roger Gibbons

Papillons de Montagnes et de Collines

Post by Roger Gibbons »

You may have seen on page 34 of the latest BC magazine a review of a book “Papillons de Montagnes et de Collines” (yes it should be “des” but was changed by the publishers). I have received a review copy. It is in French (but with an accompanying 36 page English translation) and is more of a coffee table book with 450 excellent photos of 180 species and substantial text focussing on butterfly activity, evolution and diversity. It is hardback, large format 13x10 inches, weighs 2kg, runs to 200 pages, and all-round very high quality. It is not a field guide and does not contain distribution maps, flight periods, larval hostplants, etc.

The quality of the photographs is good, all clearly taken in their natural environment in the field without the use of flash. They are of the artistic style, much favoured by those who enter photographic competitions, and two examples - Colias hyale and Hesperia comma - (reduced resolution because I have scanned them from the book) are given here. Most of the photos appear to have been taken in southern France. Martin Warren, Chief Executive of BC, described it as a delightful book.

It was published in 2008 and has sold 1400 copies in Europe at 48 euros. The publisher then ran into difficulties and as a result the author John Green has a limited stock available at £19.50 including postage and packing to a UK address. For every copy sold, the author will contribute £2.00 to BC.

For a work of this quality, this is a bargain price, especially as the size and weight of the book means that the postage element is substantial. If you would like to order a copy, contact John Green at John.green@free.fr. I should indicate that I have never met the author nor have I any commercial interest in this publication but, given the interest in European species and the price, I thought would be appropriate to inform UK Butterflies forum members.
img053.jpg
img054.jpg
David M

Re: Papillons de Montagnes et de Collines

Post by David M »

Roger is this a book relating to French butterflies or does it include habitats further afield?
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

Principally French, although there are one or two from further afield, such as False Apollo. I think it includes all species that occur in the UK.

Roger
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks Roger. I have duly contacted the email address you highlighted and will certainly purchase this work if it is available at the advertised rate.

Return to “Books, Articles, Videos, TV”