Early small white

Discussion forum for sightings.
chris JP

Early small white

Post by chris JP »

Small White spotted by my neighbour in his garden (South Oxon) Sunday 26th Feb; all I've spotted so far has been a couple of Satellite moths and a billion ladybirds!

Chris
David M

Re: Early small white

Post by David M »

I think that's the second Small White sighting we've had on here thus far in 2012. Are some hibernating in greenhouses and emerging way early?
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

David M wrote:I think that's the second Small White sighting we've had on here thus far in 2012. Are some hibernating in greenhouses and emerging way early?
David,
I was at the Secret Garden Centre in Pontypool on Sunday - very nice temperatures despite a slight breeze up there - there was also a Small White flying within the space inside the open-door large glass-house (where they keep some plants for protection in the spring). During the Summer / Autumn there are Nasturtiums grown just outside the front of the glasshouse (Whites are quite free to lay eggs on these) - therefore I'm guessing that your hypothesis is close to the answer - certainly in this case :)
Michael
David M

Post by David M »

Michaeljf wrote:
David M wrote:I think that's the second Small White sighting we've had on here thus far in 2012. Are some hibernating in greenhouses and emerging way early?
David,
I was at the Secret Garden Centre in Pontypool on Sunday - very nice temperatures despite a slight breeze up there - there was also a Small White flying within the space inside the open-door large glass-house (where they keep some plants for protection in the spring). During the Summer / Autumn there are Nasturtiums grown just outside the front of the glasshouse (Whites are quite free to lay eggs on these) - therefore I'm guessing that your hypothesis is close to the answer - certainly in this case :)
Michael
Well, if the plants are being protected from the elements then the larvae/pupae will share that protection no doubt.

Return to “Sightings”