Spring Flowers for butterflies

Discussion forum for butterfly foodplants, and butterfly gardening in general.
edgueinart

Spring Flowers for butterflies

Post by edgueinart »

Any recommendation in plants that flower in spring?
essexbuzzard

Re: Spring Flowers for butterflies

Post by essexbuzzard »

I go for Cuckoo Flower and Garlic Mustard,for Orange tips and Green-veined Whites. These plants provide not only for adults, but for the immature stages as well.Honesty plants work too. Plant in sun or dappled shade. Near trees or bushes if you have them.
Aubretia is a good nectar source,as is wallflower 'Bowles Mauve'. Both like a dry,sunny position.
Other opinions welcome,these are just the start!
Susie

Post by Susie »

I think you've covered every flower I would recommend, essexbuzzard! Good call. :D The only other I would suggest would be daphne odora which I have had the occasional butterfly come to during the spring. I think some people have luck with primroses, although I never have.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Just remembered forgetmenots!
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Yes,forget-me-nots very good.I forgot forget-me-nots!Well done Susie! If there is room, sallow-willow is good for Peacocks. Although big,there is a small,weeping form avalable Salix capria 'Kilmarnock'.
David M

Post by David M »

How about violets if you live in Fritillary country!!
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I am jealous of anyone who lives in fritillary country! But yes,worth a try if you do! Dappled shade for Silver-washed,sun for Dark Green.
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Violets may also flower in Autumn as well, an added bonus. The only flowers I would add are Bugle and Bluebells. The Bugle seems popular with all the smaller Fritillaries and spring butterflies as well as bees - Bluebells less so, but I have seen Painted Ladies nectar from them. Primrose and Cowslip also flower early but I'm not sure how keen the Butterflies are on them. On the small bush side Hawthorn is popular with all spring insects once it's flowering.
Michael
David M

Post by David M »

Michaeljf wrote:The only flowers I would add are Bugle and Bluebells. The Bugle seems popular with all the smaller Fritillaries and spring butterflies as well as bees - Bluebells less so, but I have seen Painted Ladies nectar from them. Primrose and Cowslip also flower early but I'm not sure how keen the Butterflies are on them. On the small bush side Hawthorn is popular with all spring insects once it's flowering.
Michael
Good shout, Michael. Pearl Bordereds were all over the bugle flowers last May at Ewyas Harold Common.

I've only ever seen two species nectaring on bluebell though - Wood White & Marsh Fritillary.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Flowering cherries are good for reappearing hibernators, especially Commas. Sallows are probably slightly better, though perhaps not so ornamental.
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

David M wrote:Good shout, Michael. Pearl Bordereds were all over the bugle flowers last May at Ewyas Harold Common. I've only ever seen two species nectaring on bluebell though - Wood White & Marsh Fritillary.
Hi David,
well with the Painted Ladies I've seen nectaring from them that makes three species, anyway...I'm not sure if this Small-Pearl Bordered is nectaring from the Bluebells or not. Probably just sitting on one :wink: Still, the thought of spring flowers raises my spirits either way. Roll on spring!
Michael

Small Pearl-Bordered Fritillary, Alun Valley 2011. Probably just sitting on the Bluebell though...
David M

Post by David M »

I saw PBFs on bluebells at Haugh Wood last spring, Michael, but they seemed to be using them as convenient perches rather than nectar sources. Bugle and Dandelion were what they were after!
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

you can add orange tip to the list that nectar on bluebell.

Chris
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Not a very good photo but here is a Dingy Skipper taking nectar from a bluebell. Taken at Ryton Wood last April.
Dingy Skipper - Ryton Wood 28.04.2011
Dingy Skipper - Ryton Wood 28.04.2011
I have also seen Orange Tips and Green Veined Whites nectaring on Bluebells.

Cheers,

Neil F.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

I've seen Green Hairstreak nectaring on bluebell - a spectacular colour combination!
Neil
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Sussex Kipper wrote:I've seen Green Hairstreak nectaring on bluebell - a spectacular colour combination!
And I have a childhood photo to illustrate that ...

(Sutton Hoo, Suffolk, in a previous life...)

Not spectacular in my picture, but it is a lovely combination in real life.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

And here is a Brimstone nectaring on bluebell.
29.4.2011 brimstone.jpg
Nick.
Susie

Post by Susie »

David M wrote:I saw PBFs on bluebells at Haugh Wood last spring, Michael, but they seemed to be using them as convenient perches rather than nectar sources. Bugle and Dandelion were what they were after!
Likewise. I've never seen one feeding on bluebell, just sitting on them. Obviously they do feed on them as people in this thread has seen it but I dont think they are a nectar source of choice.
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

I forgot to mention Ragged Robin as a good nectar source in spring, though it can of course vary in timing and even be flowering in Summer.
Michael

p.s. Nice pictures of the butterflies and Bluebells :)
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

I have seen Peacock nectaring on bluebell.

Guy - (Sutton Hoo, Suffolk) - my wife was there last summer and saw Grayling and Small Heath.

Return to “Foodplants and Gardening”