Sightings February 2012

Discussion forum for sightings.
Mark Colvin

Re: Sightings February 2012

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Vince,
Vince Massimo wrote:On the way back to the car I spotted a very distictive medium-sized bumblebee which I believe to be a Tree Bumblebee (Bombus hypnorum) which was unknown in Britain until 2001.
It certainly is a Queen of Bombus hypnorum. That's a good find. :)

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Gibster... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Unlike Gibster (sorry - wind-up!), I don't have to travel hundreds of miles for some decent birds. This Snow Bunting today at Heacham, a little over 10 miles from home.

And this sign amused me. I'm so glad that a public body spends money on a sign telling us that it won't be doing something.
Jack
David M

Post by David M »

:D

What is the point of that sign? (sad thing is, it's probably swallowed up a few hundred pounds of our taxes).
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thats a nice photo of the Snow Bunting Jack, the only Snow Bunting i have ever seen was on Unst, Shetlands many moons ago when i used to go up there to photograph the wildlife,

Nick.
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Here is another snow bunting.This one is unusual as it was by itself in a field in Cambridgeshire,where it spent much of this winter.
P.J.U.
Attachments
Snow Bunting 4 (2).jpg
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Quite unusual I think for Snow Buntings to be seen inland (P.J.U in Cambs). One the Norfolk coast, they have been quite plentiful this past winter. I have for example seen flocks at Salthouse, Cley, Holkham, Heacham and Snettisham. But Waxwings and Shore Larks have eluded me although I don't think here have been that many around in any case. Oystercatchers and Turnstones by the million though (minor exaggeration!)
Oystercatchers Snettisham today.
Sorry - I forgot this IS a butterfly forum.

Jack
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Spent a happy day down in Hampshire yesterday with the balmy (barmy!) temperature in the New Forest reaching 19 degrees, hence seven sightings of Red Admirals in the space of four hours plus a couple of honeybees with bulging pollen baskets.

Wurzel...hope you're sitting down

...plus I popped in to Calshot and saw the male Spanish Sparrow singing it's heart out followed by a jaunt into Hawkhill Inclosure where I enjoyed my second Yankee passerine in two days in the shape of a Dark-eyed Junco. Sweeeeet :D

Hoping for a Brimstone next

Gibster
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

How big's your life list Gibster? Presumably in the UK400 Club? I (with superior attitude here!) don't "twitch" so my UK bird list is only 250-260. But I can count a self-found Magpie on that list :)

Jack
Last edited by Jack Harrison on Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

You can go off people you know Gibster! :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Hi Jack,

I'm not a particularly massive fan of LGRE's self-founded/self-policed/self-censored clubs but I'd certainly qualify for inclusion in his UK400 club (but I'm not going to send him my money to become a member!!! :lol: )

If I could spend as much time birding as I'd like, and money (and hence work) weren't issues I'd be up to the UK500 Club within a decade or so. By Lee's rules I'm on about 442ish species (not sure on his latest taxonomic updates.) Money and work being the big issues they are it could take me quite a bit longer...

Cheers,

Gibster.

EDIT: Hey Wurzel, have a goodun!!! :wink: :D :D :D
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Sorry,I can't resist this for Gibster.The birds he saw: namely Spannish Sparrow and Dark eyed Junco.
P.J.U.
I know this site is for butterflies,but birds appear to be creeping in.
Attachments
Spannish Sparrow 1 (2).jpg
Plumb tours Jan 28th 2012 039 (2).JPG
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Some lovely warm sunshine yesterday and earlier today in the Midlands but clouded over and went chilly this afternoon.
I was at work during the best of the weather so I haven't seen anything myself but I see that Red Admiral, Peacock, Small Toitoiseshell and Brimstone have all been reported in the West Midlands and Warwickshire.

Cheers,

Neil F.
millerd

Post by millerd »

My first of the year today - a Red Admiral flying strongly along the bank of the River Colne at Stanwell Moor. Beautiful sunshine, though nothing like as warm as the last couple of days. I also saw a Lesser-spotted Woodpecker flash by and quickly scuttle round to the far side of the tree on landing. Similar colours to a Red Admiral, funnily enough...

Dave
Mark Senior

Post by Mark Senior »

Several sightings of Commas here in Sussex in the last few days but sadly I have not seen any butterflies so far this year .
David M

Post by David M »

Having spent almost an entire week under heavy and low cloud cover in Swansea, it was wonderful to get to Abergavenny yesterday afternoon and finally see some sunshine.

The cloud disappeared by Ebbw Vale, and as I came down the steep hill into Abergavenny along the A465 there was suddenly colour everywhere with spring plants and even a bit of blossom.

I managed to get out to Castle Meadows this afternoon when the temperature hit a high of 13C. I'd never previously seen any butterfly in February in this country, but I'm delighted to say that is now a historical statistic as I had the great pleasure of seeing 4 different Small Tortoiseshells, including two spiralling upwards in a courtship display.

The countryside is really coming to life at the moment and if this mild weather continues, we could see a repeat of last year's record breaking March/April.
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Hi David,
I saw my first butterfly of the year here in St Mellons, near Cardiff - just the one Small Tortoiseshell, still sneaky enough to avoid me photographing it. On the bird front - there is apparently a Smew at Hendre Lake and a Common Yellowthroat at Rhiwderin (down the road at Newport) and I was at Forest Farm (Whitchurch) this morning and apparently there are a couple of Bitterns there this year. Except I don't necessarily fancy staying in a small hide with another 20 photographers - you proper twitchers can keep those get-togethers for yourselves...! :wink:
Michael
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Red Admiral at Furzey Gardens nr Minstead today but couldn't get a photo. Got to pick up some chairs for my wife tomorrow down in Eastleigh, is Calshot anywhere near there? :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Calshot is about 30mins from Eastleigh.The Sparrow is best seen in the back garden of a house on the left before the beach car park.There is a notice and donation bucket outside this house.The paddyfield warbler should be easy tomorrow.
P.J.U.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers for the info PJ, wish me luck!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Sightings”