Reverdin

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Reverdin

Re: Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Hmmmmm.... I'm off to Marrakech for a few days at the end of feb... anyone seen any butterflies there at that time of year.... regardless, anyone know any promising sites in the region?? :?

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
John W

Post by John W »

I went out there in early March a couple of years ago and the only butterfly I saw was a Speckled Wood:
marrakech-sw1.jpg

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

LOL.... but what a fine specimen!! Thanks for replying... that was my suspicion, never mind :D

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Presently I'm whiling away hours picking the best of what I took last April in the south of France and in the process, processing a few I'd left before, and finding some sharper ones than I previously chose... one or two Osiris Blue shots to share, for what it's worth...
IMG_5057.jpg
IMG_5071.jpg
IMG_5088.jpg
IMG_5065.jpg
IMG_5094.jpg

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Here's a couple more previously neglected shots from the Var last April...
female Provencal Orange Tip
female Provencal Orange Tip
Scarce Swallowtail
Scarce Swallowtail

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

It's taking ages to go through and delete/ keep images from the past year... I've brought a little cameo of Baton Blues together just to add a bit of variety to the task.. some new, and old ones here..
Male
Male
underside
underside
Female
Female
Female
Female

Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Paul
Great photos - great memories.

Cheers

Roger
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

for sure... you can almost smell the thyme can't you :D

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Another worthy candidate..
Male Queen of Spain
Male Queen of Spain
and another..
Mallow Skipper
Mallow Skipper

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

A little distraction... I have always loved orchids, and these photos are of some we came across in the Var and Alpes-Maritimes last April... I haven't even attempted to name them, but would be delighted if anyone "with the knowledge" would oblige...
:D

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Nobody with an interest in orchids then :D - a couple more re-developed RAW files from last year....
IMG_6104.jpg
IMG_6037.jpg

Susie

Post by Susie »

Your orchid photos are lovely. :D

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Reverdin wrote:Nobody with an interest in orchids then
I'm afraid my knowledge is rather limited to the UK. It's a bit like butterflies - easy to deal with the small number of species here but much more difficult once you cross the Channel!

Your first looks like Burnt Orchid (providing it is fairly small) and the next two like Lady Orchids. After that a couple of Ophrys and then what look like a White Helleborine and, finally, Sword-leaved Helleborine. These may at least help you search through Google images until a 'real' expert comes to your aid!

Mike

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

thanks very much :D - when no-one immediately made any suggestions I did google a couple of sites.... and discovered just how difficult it is in Europe, and Mike... I think you're spot on from what I've looked at.... I never dreamt there were so many - so thanks a million to you both for the sentiments, will probably keep on photographing them. :D They don't really need names do they!
IMG_6212.jpg

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

another small selection of Green Underside Blue images, re-developed ....... southern France, April 2011
IMG_6650.jpg
IMG_6889.jpg
IMG_6445.jpg
IMG_6390.jpg

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

First home butterfly of the year, Small Tort on 11th March
then.... Comma 15th March
Peacock 24th March
Brimstone 26th March
Orange Tip 28th March
All garden butterflies, the last 2 not seen by me :twisted: as I was at work... but off tomorrow and hoping for something... Andy took a shot of the OT with the Lumix FZ50...
P1230329.jpg
Spring arrives in North Yorkshire :D

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Interesting day.. weather still spectacular for what is still March. Male and female :o Orange Tips, Peacock, ST, Comma and first garden GVW :D this year. On arrival home, early evening....
Comma basking in evening sun
Comma basking in evening sun
Green Veined White settling in for the night
Green Veined White settling in for the night

Took a chance during the afternoon to see what was going on at my Green Hairstreak site locally.... astonished to find 2 sparring males :D :D .. but no more.. really fresh, and beautiful as ever...
Moorland Green Hairstreak
Moorland Green Hairstreak
:D :D

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Back on the moors today, but no Green Hairstreaks in the cold breeze... we did see these though, Andy took some record shots with the Lumix - not birding quality but hey ho...
P1230342.JPG
P1230346.JPG
P1230350.JPG
P1230370.JPG
:D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Ring Ouzels are cracking birds :mrgreen: I've only ever seen them twice - once in near Chamonix (bit stringy though) and then a couple of years ago at Hengistbury Head - the real deal 8) . It must be nice to see them in their "proper habitat" doing things properly rather than in the middle of a field on the coast looking knackered!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

thanks Wurz, glad you appreciate how pleased I felt :D - will have to get some mammoth long lens before I can put anything really worthwhile up. :mrgreen:
I see R.O.'s from time to time whilst out Green streaking, but they are really really shy... mind you my appearance would make most living things scarper :lol:

Return to “Personal Diaries”