Mark Colvin

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Mark Colvin

Re: Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Wurzel,

Thanks for your message.

I was certainly pleased with 96 although last year we managed 103. Good luck with the Snow Bunting. I think they are a fabulous bird and remember an incident on the Isles of Scilly some years back when my son and daughter actually managed to lie down on a beach and have a pair feeding no more than a metre or so in front of them. Sadly no camera then. A very trusting and approachable species which I suspect is linked to the fact they come across few encounters with man in their summer homeland.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Plaistow, 9 January 2012

I was pleased to find a nicely marked specimen of the highly variable Spring Usher (Agriopis leucophaearia) in my garden last night.
UKBP1050126.jpg
Last edited by Mark Colvin on Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

It doesn't half look similar to mottled umber :)

Chris

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Heyshott Escarpment, 11 January 2012

Pyromaniacs anonymous …

We do like our fires at Heyshott, though if the holes in my clothes are anything to go by I think I’ve either been standing a bit too close or I’ve got a bad infestation of clothes moth in my wardrobe! Maybe the singed hairs on my arms are the give away …

Today, along with Colin Knight and Neil Hulme and seven members of the Murray Downland Trust, we recommenced our weekly work party activities at Heyshott Escarpment. After a cold start, we continued to make great progress from where we left off before the seasonal break and were blessed with a beautiful day of pastel blue sky and golden winter sunshine.

It’s great to be back …
UKBP1050151.jpg
UKBP1050149.jpg

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

RHS Wisley, 17 January 2012 - Part 1

Butterflies in the Glasshouse (14 January – 26 February 2012)

“Banish the winter blues with the sight of exotic butterflies flitting and floating among the plants in our world-class Glasshouse. See a wide range of colourful butterflies as they settle into the beautiful tropical zone. Wander underneath palms and watch the butterflies as they take part in courtship flights and feed from plant nectar and fruit. New for 2012 - you can also experience the full lifecycle of these fascinating creatures by visiting our collection of giant caterpillars. Suitable for all ages, Butterflies in the Glasshouse is a fun day out for all of the family”.

I thought I’d take a closer look …

The early to mid eighties found me working abroad in West Africa. Time spent in The Gambia and both northern and southern Nigeria, provided me with opportunities to observe and capture the beauty of many tropical species. Sadly, I have few photographic memories of the insects I discovered. Time then was spent in the bush armed with just a net to capture my prize followed by release after observation. I remember those years quite clearly and visits to butterfly houses always reignite my passion for tropical species, first sparked after visiting Worldwide Butterflies in Brighton in the late sixties (my parent’s still have that small case of three tropical specimens (Troides aeacus, Papilio horishanus and the beautiful Urania ripheus), though now looking rather sad and somewhat faded. Although many tropical species are undoubtedly quite stunning, in my opinion, you can’t beat the magnificence of our own entomological fauna. As Neil says, “Lovely as they are you can't beat an English Purple Emperor, spread-eagled on a woodland ride on a warm July evening”.

I’ll certainly second that …

I decided to visit RHS Wisley midweek making the assumption that a weekday would be much quieter, particularly as I was hoping to get some pictures ... WRONG … it was very busy right from doors opening at 10am which made camera work a little difficult at times. For those that haven't visited I highly recommend a trip, though do allow time for your camera equipment to acclimatize (15-20 minutes in my case). As you would expect, it is very hot and humid in the glasshouse so do take a cold drink with you and dress sensibly if you are planning to stay for any length of time.

I hope to go again so maybe see you there …
Malay Lacewing (Cethosia biblis)
Malay Lacewing (Cethosia biblis)
Blue Morpho (Morpho peleides)
Tree Nymph (Idea leuconoe)
Tree Nymph (Idea leuconoe)
Owl (Caligo memnon)
Owl (Caligo memnon)
Pink Rose Swallowtail (Pachliopta kotzebuea)
Great Mormon (Papilio memnon probably ssp. agenor)
Great Mormon (Papilio memnon probably ssp. agenor)
Last edited by Mark Colvin on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Lovely photos Mark, especially the Blue Morpho.

Nick.

Susie

Post by Susie »

Cracking photos, Mark.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Nice work. That Malay Lacewing is gorgeous. :D
Neil

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Wow - lovely photos, Mark.

I agree with Neil on the Malay Lacewing - stunning!

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Hope I didn't walk straight past you and ignore you, Mark! I was there between about 12 and 2pm today and managed to get photos of 16 different species. I may post a few photos, with some tips on using the camera in the hot, humid, and crowded conditions, in a separate thread. Certainly, it's a great day out and, if you know someone who is an RHS member, they can take a guest for free - my wife obliged for me!!

Mike

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Dear Nick, Susie, Neil, Lee and Mike,

Thank you for your very kind comments.

I hope my pictures gave you as much pleasure in viewing them as they did me in obtaining them.
MikeOxon wrote:Hope I didn't walk straight past you and ignore you, Mark!
No you didn't ignore me, or indeed me you, as I'd left by the time you had got there.

Good hunting

Kind regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

RHS Wisley, 19 January 2012 – Part 2

Continued …

Sadly the Indian Leafwing had seen better days though I felt it worthy of inclusion due to its beauty.

I can feel a Part 3 coming …
Malachite (Siproeta stelenes)
Malachite (Siproeta stelenes)
African Swallowtail (Papilio dardanus)
African Swallowtail (Papilio dardanus)
Indian Leafwing (Kallima paralekta)

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Mark,

beautiful photos, and beautiful butterflies,

Nick.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thanks Nick,

I always appreciate your comments. :D
hideandseek wrote:beautiful photos and beautiful butterflies
Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

RHS Wisley, 23 January 2012 – Part 3

Continued …

A quick visit today produced the following.

I can feel a Part 4, 5 and 6 coming …
Clipper (Parthenos sylvia)
Clipper (Parthenos sylvia)

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

That Blue Morpho photo is perfect, Mark, what a stunner.

Nick.
Last edited by Nick Broomer on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

There are some stunning photos Mark, especially the Morpho.

There is a butterfly house at Stratford-Upon-Avon, just 30 minutes drive from my house, I have been before but that was before I had my Lumix.
I am feeling inspired by this thread to pay another visit soon :D

Cheers,

Neil F.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

hideandseek wrote:That Blue Morpho photo is perfect, Mark, what a stunner.
Thanks.

:D :D :D :D

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Neil,

I'm glad my posts have inspired you ...
nfreem wrote:I am feeling inspired by this thread
Get down to Stratford-Upon-Avon with that Lumix and let's see the pictures ... you won't regret it :D

I'd suggest a joint visit if it wasn't so far away.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

RHS Wisley, 26 January 2012 – Part 4

Continued …

Festival of exotica …
Emerald Swallowtail (Papilio palinurus)

Return to “Personal Diaries”