Red Admiral - Favourite Photo of 2011

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Red Admiral - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by Vince Massimo »

Happy New Year to everyone :)

It's rather fitting that we continue with the "Favourite Photos" thread into 2012 with the Red Admiral, of which there have been several sightings already.

This is a thread in which to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2011....................or the last time you saw one, and is part
of a series which will hopefully grow throughout the winter until all 58 British species have been covered. Three new threads will be introduced per week. Our overseas friends are welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to our rare migrants, but please try to observe the alphabetical listing :)

Details of places, dates, times and circumstances would be appreciated and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, personal encounters, anecdotes and other interesting points.

Vince
Goldie M

Re: Red Admiral - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by Goldie M »

I took this photo in Blean Woods Aug 1st , I was looking for White Admiral when it landed right in front of me and i just snapped it , we were both suprised :lol: It was the start of a lovely holiday. Goldie M :)
Attachments
Red Admiral BW 1st Aug 2011 010.JPG
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I liked the light on the underside of this one. The cryptic colouring, including the "bird dropping" mark, is doubtless important for Winter survival.
Otmoor, Oxon - 22nd October 2011<br />Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm - 1/125s @ f/16 ISO400
Otmoor, Oxon - 22nd October 2011
Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm - 1/125s @ f/16 ISO400
Mike
millerd

Post by millerd »

I was up in York again at the end of August. The weather was kind and my sister's garden played host to a lot of Red Admirals. She is not one to discourage healthy growth of nettles and semi-wild Buddleia, nor quick to deal with the carpet of windfalls from her Victoria plum tree. Red Admiral heaven, in fact.

Here are a couple from 31st August.

Dave
Attachments
RA8 resized.JPG
RA6 resized2.JPG
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

this is my worst :)
red-ad-nearly.jpg
it should have looked like this
red-ad.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I was a bit worried that I wasn't going ot get many Red Admiral shots this year as they seemed few and far between. However towards the end of the season they seemed to be everywhere with one or two daily on the Ivy in my garden. This shot was taken at Stourhead late in the season with my ill-fated 70-300mm Sigma lens. And that's why it's my favourite - as it was the best shot that I got with the lens. Oh and I also liked the way the light caught it giving it an almost sculptured appearence.
RA.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Only took one atalanta photo this year, whilst waiting for the Brown Hairstreaks at Shipton Bellinger on 15th August...
IMG_1603.jpg
:D

(edit)... sorry make that 2... forgot about this beauty - warming up on a cool but sunny late summer weekend morning..
IMG_1995.jpg
Last edited by Reverdin on Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

One of my favourite butterflies.

This pristine individual photographed on 3 October 2011.
UKBRA3.jpg
UKBRA4.jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I saw Red Admirals at quite a few of the places that I visited in the Midlands during the summer, usually one or two showing up with increasing numbers going into Autumn as reported in a number of threads on UKB.

I also saw more in my back garden than I remember seeing for a good many years, this being where the photos below where both taken.

The first one towards the end of July.
Coverdale 23.07.2011 003 resize.jpg
And the second one at the end of October on one of those fresh clear days that we had around then.
30.10.2011 009 resize.jpg
Cheers,

Neil F.
Last edited by Neil Freeman on Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Now and again i like to experiment when taking pictures, most of the time i throw them out, but this is one i kept.
17.9.2011 003-1_1.jpg
It was taken with the white balance mode on tungston, hence the colour of the leaves.
15,5,2011 189_1.jpg
I like this one because of the camouflage this butterfly displays on this decaying tree stump.

Nick.
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Last summer I reared two Red Admirals from larvae and was surprised to discover that I did not know as much about them as I thought I did. One of the surprises was the very sudden change in the colour of the pupa just prior to hatching. When I discovered this in the morning I took a series of photos in order to complete my species report. An adult emerged 3 minutes later, but unfortunately I had the camera hooked up to the computer and was downloading my photos at the time, so I failed to capture the event.
Red Admiral Pupa (3 minutes before hatching) 16-July-11
Red Admiral Pupa (3 minutes before hatching) 16-July-11
Another favourite from that batch was the unusual underside view taken before the new hatchling was released.
Red Admiral Female (Reared) 20-July-11
Red Admiral Female (Reared) 20-July-11
The full report is here: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5672

Vince
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

Hi This is my favourite photo of a Red Admiral because it was the first AD I saw in 2011.
Attachments
Taken at Oglet Shore near Liverpool 16/4/2011
Taken at Oglet Shore near Liverpool 16/4/2011
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Looking though some of the photos that I took last year and noticed the one below of a Red Admiral taken at Fermyn Woods.
I did not notice before, probably too distracted by the Purple Emperor photos that I took that day, but it has small white spots in the red bands on the forewings.
I have checked through all my other Red Admiral photos and this is the only one that I have with this.
Red Admiral - Fermyn Woods 04.07.2011
Red Admiral - Fermyn Woods 04.07.2011
Cheers,

Neil F.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

certainly a cracker.
Chris
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Sadly, the white spot on the red band is not uncommon.... these are just 3 from recent years....
07 V.atalanta TF132681 0409 3.jpg
08 V. atalanta NZ202002 0609.jpg
100814  V. atalanta  TF1474K 2.jpg
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi nfreem,

I also have a similar photo of a Red Admiral, but mine has two white spots in the red band
on the right wing, and one on the left. I also have a photo which is the same as yours
with one white spot in the red bands, which i will post on my personal diary. Both photos
were taken 2011.
9. 7. 2011 079_1.jpg
Nick.
marmari

Post by marmari »

I've got spots too.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I read somewhere a figure of 1 in 6 for this form. It's certainly less frequent than the 'normal' form but given the general abundance of the butterfly it is something everyone will come across reasonably often.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for the replys,

I guess that this will be one of those things that now I have noticed it, I will be seeing examples all over the place :lol:

Does this form have a name or is it just considered to be within the normal range of variation?

Cheers,

Neil F.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I've never seen a name for this form. Vanessa atalanta f. albipunctata would seem apt. :D

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html

Return to “Red Admiral”