Susie

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Susie

Re: Susie

Post by Susie »

The crazy thing is that there were roses and penstemons blooming nearby, and not just the odd one either!

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Amazing! The way things are going, not only will there be huge numbers of Red Admirals from March onwards but maybe a few British-raised Clouded Yellows too!

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Don't get too excited,David!
I hate to dampen any enthusiasm but it's only the begining of January-winter aint over yet!
It's the length of our winters which are thought to kill off the admirals etc,not the necesarily the average temperatere.
And the fact that if they do wake up there is nothing for them to eat. Red ads are still being reported on the south coast, but as the winter progresses,and they go longer without food,reports are likely to become fewer,sadly.
But i hope i'm wrong!

Susie

Post by Susie »

Well if it is any consolation the red admirals won't go hungry at the site where I photographed the daffs. There is daphne bholua flowering in profusion as well as many other flowers out and there won't be a cessation in flowering now right around to next winter. Even when we have a cold snap here with snow it never lasts more than a few days. The greatest danger I can foresee is weeks of warmish drizzle when the butterflies aren't hibernating but nor can they get out to feed either.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Yes,i agree,Susie-it's the length of winter that seems to be the killer-long cloudy damp spells when adults are unable to fly, may not do them any favours. It will be interesing to see if any Red Admirals have survived when the real spring arrives in April.
I do hope so! :)

Hugh Middleton

Post by Hugh Middleton »

Hope you enjoy the camera club.Look forward to hearing how you get on.
I joined my local one this week and was very impressed.

Hugh

Susie

Post by Susie »

Hi Hugh,

The first meet of the camera club was last Wednesday but I wasn't able to make it. I've taken up a few new hobbies lately and they are taking up a lot of my time, I do hope to join the camera club shortly though. Are you still enjoying yours?

I went to Marlpost woods in Southwater today and I am pleased to say there are brown hairstreak eggs there again this year. :D

Susie

Post by Susie »

I went to see the starling murmuration at Brighton today. It wasn't a patch on last year but still nice to see. The sunset was gorgeous though :-)

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Hi Susie,
I myself took the long drive from East Anglia to the see the much talked about Starling flock at Brighton pier,and i have to say i was disappointed. It was cloudy and windy,which may have been the reason,but the birds arrived in small groups and went straight under the pier,instead of gathering and flying in their masses,like you see on TV. Maybe this was your expieriance too.
Regards, Mark.

Susie

Post by Susie »

Hello Mark,

Yes, it was very much like that with far fewer large groups than last year and th majority of the birds going straight under the pier.

Pawpawsaurus

Post by Pawpawsaurus »

Susie,

Pardon my diary intrusion, but I thought you might be interested in this morning's Nature on Radio 4. It was entitled The Ghost Roost, and told the story of sound recordist Chris Watson (of Springwatch fame) doing his thing in Brighton's West Pier ten years ago, before it was burnt down.

The programme will be repeated on Thursday at 9 p.m., but is also online:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b019f9hf

Paul
Last edited by Pawpawsaurus on Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Happy Birthday Susie :D

Bet you thought we had all forgotten...................

Vince

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Likewise ...

Have a great birthday Susie. :D

Kind regards. Mark

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Happy birthday.

Jack

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Happy 21st Susie! :D
Best Wishes, Neil

Susie

Post by Susie »

Thank you, Paul. Yes I would be really interesting in listening to that so thank you for putting up the link.

Awwww, thanks guys! That's really lovely of you Vince, Mark, Jack and Neil. :D

All you sci fi fans (and I'm sure there is more than just me on this forum) will know that the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is 42 and I'm planning on making this my best year yet.

I'm off to a great start; there was a beautiful sunrise this morning, presents from the kids and husband, I went for a run around Southwater lake and saw bullfinches, reed buntings, gold finches, two types of wood pecker, various thrushes and titmice and later on a buzzard on the ground with its kill, then I went belly dancing and after that I was taken out to lunch. There's a bit of a family gathering this evening and in 10 days I'm having a celebratory birthday ball! (get me, aren't I posh! :lol: ) :D All I need now is a butterfly to get the season off to a flying start .... (but at least Sherlock is coming back for another season so I am soooo pleased!).

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Sounds like you have had a quite a day of it Susie!

Happy Birthday - hope you enjoy the rest of it.

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Susie
I shall raise a small glass and toast your health this evening.

42 - Ah I wish I could remember it.
I was older then than I am now.
I think I probably enjoyed it.
I tend to enjoy most years!

Cheers

Roger
Susie

Post by Susie »

Thanks Lee. :-) Cheers, Roger, I think I'll have a cheeky vimto too :-D

David M

Post by David M »

Happy Birthday, Suzette!

Return to “Personal Diaries”