A few Skippers

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
JKT

A few Skippers

Post by JKT »

Here is the second problem Genus from my trip to Italy; Pyrgus.

The first two pictures are from pretty high (2000+) altitude and I suspect they might be Pyrgus andromedae.

The last three I presume to belong to Pyrgus malvae/malvoides -pair, but here I'm quite unsure. If correct, it should be malvoides based on location. Of these pictures the last two are of the same individual. The altitude was ~1850 m.

Again any help is appreciated!
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I agree with your identifications, though the first andromedae in particular is rather different from the ones near me in Switzerland. Nevertheless, the triple spot on the forewing is classic and the general jizz good. I'll have another look tomorrow - I've only just got back from a day out and it's an hour later here. ZZZ

Guy
JKT

Post by JKT »

padfield wrote:it's an hour later here.
I think it's an hour earlier... :)

Thanks for the comments! I'm quite aware that this not one of the easy genuses. :D The lack of underside in the first three won't help either.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I guess it depends where you are! But when UK butterfliers are happily tapping away on their computers at 11.00pm, I'm wondering why I'm still up at midnight...

Pyrgus is a minefield. No sooner do you think you have them sorted than some individual pops up, lets itself be photographed from every angle, and still refuses to be tied down. One piece of advice, though - ignore the flight times given in the books! Mountain species, which a great many are, appear whenever they judge the conditions to be right and this can vary enormously from year to year.

Guy

Return to “Identification”