Variation in Adonis Blues

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
millerd

Variation in Adonis Blues

Post by millerd »

Long dark evenings - time to shuffle through the snaps and see what you missed back in the heady days of summer sunshine.

Looking at my Adonis Blue photos, I noticed that one or two of the males had black spots (with a border crescent of white) around the edges of their hindwings. Most, however, were completely clear. I remembered that the hybrid with the Chalkhill Blue (known as polonus) has this feature and looked at the one on the species pages here for comparison. To be honest, they look the same to me! However, I know mine can't be polonus, because it was seen in August, and polonus appears with the spring brood.

The insect below was seen at Denbies during Susie's walk on 6th August, and I have added a "normal" one for comparison. What I don't know how to do is summon up the image of the definite polonus from the galleries to sit it alongside!

Any observations, anyone? Is this just within normal variation? Is there any other distinguishing feature of polonus to look for?

Dave
Attachments
With black spots (and white crescents on their outside edges)
With black spots (and white crescents on their outside edges)
Normal male
Normal male
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Variation in Adonis Blues

Post by Padfield »

Adonis blues show great variation in the extent of spotting around the hindwing. In Switzerland, some spotting is perfectly normal, and possibly the norm, though some males show none at all. This individual is quite typical and I have a great many similar photos:

I do have much more extreme examples in my collection.

I can't say anything about polonus as I have never knowingly seen one - that is a pleasure to come!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I have noticed some individuals with various degrees of spotting and there are a couple of named aberrations in the Cockayne collection that you could check against, if my memory serves correct check scalens (?). Hope this helps.

Have a goodun (New Year that is)

Wurzel
John W

Post by John W »

This one seen at Malling Down on the 7th August 2011 has spotting too... (click to enlarge to get a better view)
adonis1.jpg
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

This is the most extreme example I have come across..... in France -
09 L. bellargus  Chindrieux vers St Gemain 0406 2 002.jpg
Spotted or not, are they not just the most exquisite insect? :D
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I'll trump your French one, Rev, with this individual from CH! :D

Checking through my pictures I find that most have some degree of spotting. From what people are saying, the form must be commoner in Europe than it is in the UK.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

OK.... definite white flag.... never seen THAT before :shock: :lol: - and yes, most of my overseas photos are spotty to a degree, not so much the ones from here

Return to “Identification”