HAMPSHIRE SITES

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Paul Harfield

HAMPSHIRE SITES

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi
I am new to this forum and relatively new to the website. I have not really done much in this field since I was much younger and am now a little out of touch. My eldest son is now showing enthusiasm for the subject and I am keen for us to do some serious butterfly watching next year 2012.
We live on the outskirts of Southampton in Hampshire. I understand that we are probably quite lucky in this area with the number of species likely to be seen.
Can anybody recommend any good sites in Hampshire or maybe just into neighbouring counties?
Which species am I not likely to encounter in this area (apart from the obvious ones)?

I seem to have been having trouble posting, hopefully this one will work.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: HAMPSHIRE SITES

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Hi there, and welcome to the site!

I'd start by looking here :arrow: http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/sites.php

There's nothing like exploring your local patch and then venturing a bit further and a bit further. You'll need day trips for some species (Swallowtail in Norfolk, Chequered Skipper in Scotland etc) but as you say, you're in a prime location to start.

Also have a look at the individual species pages as these will tell you when would be best to go.

Let us know how you get on!

Best wishes,

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

You are at the lovely stage where it is all so new. No need to go chasing after distant rarities to begin with — concentrate on what you have nearby for the first year. There are many sites in your area to explore but I should leave the advice to the locals in the that area. But Bentley Wood in the extreme west of Hants and across the border into Wilts has to be on you list: Map ref SU259291

Jack
Last edited by Jack Harrison on Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Welcome to the forums! You are in a great area - I used to live along the coast, towards Chichester, and did a lot of good butterflying on the South Downs and places like Old Winchester Hill. Also, my son and I had a memorable trip to the Isle of Wight, with our bicycles, for Glanville Fritillary and Adonis Blue. My son provided the 'kick' I needed to travel all over Britain to photograph all the regular breeding species - we celebrated completion of the task with the Chequered Skipper in Scotland!

Mie
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Welcome to the forum -I don't use it much but I may be able to help. I live in Portsmouth and have visited numerous hampshire sites over the last three years seeing 47 species in the county or very close over the borders - surrey [wood white] IOW for Glanvilles. Most of these species can be seen at four or five sites if you visit at different times - Bentley Wood, Noar Hill, Old Winchester Hill and Martin Down. Although its great to explore and discover for yourself. I would thoroughly recommend the Alan Thornbury website http://www.purple-emperor.co.uk/ which is specific for hampshire and gives detailed information on sites and also what is about during the summer. Good Luck and I hope I bump into you during the summer. Mark T :D
Last edited by Vince Massimo on Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Welcome Jack, I'll just add that as well as Bentley Wood and Martin Down you might want to try Godshill for Grayling and Slop Bog (Verwood) for Silver Studded Blue

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Hampshire's one of the best counties in the UK for butterfly spotting. You should have no problem finding at least 3 dozen British species within its confines.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Many thanks for the encouragement, enthusiasm and advice. Now looking forward to spring/summer and perhaps bumping in to some of you.
I have had a look at Alan Thornburys website and found it excellent, many thanks for the pointer on that one Tuts.

I was into Butterflies up until my early teens. That was late 1970's, pre internet and before I could drive. So I spent alot of time looking without much to show for it, limited to where I could go by bicycle and bus fare. I am surprised to see that there were such prime localities so close to where I lived as a child. Oh what a great tool the internet is! Other interests and life take over and these things get put on the back burner just simmering away. I am now wiser and have more patience and knowledge, if only I had as much time to spend as I did as a child.

I have lots of questions to ask but will ask these under the appropriate forum topic.
David M

Post by David M »

jackz432r wrote:I was into Butterflies up until my early teens. That was late 1970's, pre internet and before I could drive. So I spent alot of time looking without much to show for it, limited to where I could go by bicycle and bus fare. I am surprised to see that there were such prime localities so close to where I lived as a child. Oh what a great tool the internet is! Other interests and life take over and these things get put on the back burner just simmering away. I am now wiser and have more patience and knowledge, if only I had as much time to spend as I did as a child.
Absolutely agree and beautifully put.
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Yes, welcome to the site - it looks like 2012 could be a very enjoyable one for you. Like you, I got back into butterflies via this site a few years ago and you will now be able to see all those species you wanted to, but never knew where to look. I used to think that every species might flit through my garden if I waited long enough, but although quite a few will, the others are now all within your sights if you get "the bug" to get out and about a bit. Children's curiosity is a great way to get this enthusiasm back and they will be at least as keen as you are. As others have said you are lucky to be just starting down this path. Enjoy the next few years - They'll be fantastic! :D :D

Trev
johnv

Post by johnv »

Hi jack
jackz432r wrote: We live on the outskirts of Southampton in Hampshire.
I'm new here also, but can offer local knowledge of the Southampton area. One good local Southampton site is Southampton Old Cemetery at the SW corner of The Common. I'm up to 27 species so far - not bad for being completely surrounded by large built up areas of the city and not being on chalk.

Also Peartree Green on the other side of the River Itchen has a lot to offer including a colony of White-letter Hairstreak.

Apart from that, Alan Thornbury's website will take you to all the other outstanding local places. Plan it right and there's 45 plus species to see without too much trouble. And, follow his blog - particularly useful if you don't want to miss out on a short-lived or not very common local species.

Hope to see you out and about in 2012.

John V
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Jack
like you my interest started as a schoolboy in the early seventies and used to dream of seeing those mystery species like Purple Emperor and Adonis Blues only to find, through the magic of the internet, that they can be found really close by!
My own interest was rekindled by a chance encounter with a Silver Spotted Skipper at Old Winchester Hill four years ago.
I have since had some wonderful sightings locally and seen most of those mysterious lowland species within thirty miles of my home. I have even seen a Large Blue [not in Hampshire though sadly!] - something I thought I would never see - i would highly recommend a trip to Collard Hill in Somerset to see this iconic species its a wonderful reserve.
Defiately keep an eye on Alan Thornbury's blog in the summer as his timing is spot on and normally pinpoints the various species as they emerge. It is also worth checking the 'sightings' page an the Hant BC website http://www.hantsiow-butterflies.org.uk/sightings.htm as there is always good information here in the summer - you can also upload your own sightings.
Good Luck
Mark :D
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

jackz432r wrote:I was into Butterflies up until my early teens. That was late 1970's, pre internet and before I could drive. So I spent alot of time looking without much to show for it, limited to where I could go by bicycle and bus fare. I am surprised to see that there were such prime localities so close to where I lived as a child. Oh what a great tool the internet is! Other interests and life take over and these things get put on the back burner just simmering away. I am now wiser and have more patience and knowledge, if only I had as much time to spend as I did as a child.
This was exactly my situation as well. I have just this year had my first full season of looking for and photographing butterflies since my childhood. I live in the West Midlands and due to personal circumstances have not been able to travel further than about 80 miles or so from home.
Nevertheless, I have still managed to photograph 41 species this year which I am well pleased with.

I wish you the best of luck and am sure you will enjoy your trips out and about as much as I have enjoyed mine this year.

Cheers,

Neil F.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Thanks again for all the encouragement and advice. My memories of childhood seem to have struck a chord with some of you so I thought I would create another thread/topic for all to give their own memories of childhood Butterfly hunting. This should bring a bit of light and sunshine to the dull winter days.

I am not sure how to do a link but you should find it 'Memories Of Childhood Butterfly Hunting'

Oh and a HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of you

Return to “Sites”