flash photography

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Dave Mac

flash photography

Post by Dave Mac »

From some of the posts published here it appears that some of the contributing photographers use flash to get a picture.
Many years ago I visited a tropical butterfly garden and the use of flash photography was banned, seemingly to protect the specimens.
Its probably an impossible question to answer but does it harm the butterflies?
I would like to use my flash, mainly get more DOF but have shied away from its use, not least because I don’t want an enraged enthusiast bearing down on me for harming the insects
Chris

Post by Chris »

Quite often in attractions they ban things like flash and tripods, simply to prevent people getting high quality photographs that they could potentially make money from. This then allows the owner of the attraction to charge professional photographers for the privelege.

I had my tripod confiscated a dozen times when I was in Mexico.

I can't imagine a flash would cause damage to an insect.

Regards,

Chris
steveh

Post by steveh »

I use the built in flash more than not when out and about.
I have to really as the sigma 150 is a long lens! Even then the flash really makes only a little difference as its so far away from the end of the lens and again as its a 150mm the subject is a fair distance away.

I often wonder what flash set up others with the sigma 150mm lens use themselves?
My personal photo website http://stevehale.zenfolio.com/
Xeract

Post by Xeract »

I can't think why a flash would harm the insect, I think Chris is right the butterfly house you visited probably banned flash photography for reasons that have nothing to do with the butterflies.
Wildlife and countryside forums - UK wildlife and countryside discussion forums. Looking to host wildlife and environment related blogs for free. Please PM or e-mail if interested.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

The use of flash does disturb some species - just try using flash with one of the browns - Meadow Brown or Ringlet - they'll fly off before your shutter has even closed!

I think this might be the reason that flash is frowned upon in some situations - it may disturb an individual that might, for example, be in the middle of a courtship ritual, resulting in no pairing as a result.

I know that they ban the use of flash photography on the organised trips to see Large Blue at Green Down.

Cheers,

- Pete
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

I used a flash on a Meadow Brown and it never flinched. But shot did not come out well. Well, it did fly off just after.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
eccles

Post by eccles »

I think this might be the reason that flash is frowned upon in some situations - it may disturb an individual that might, for example, be in the middle of a courtship ritual, resulting in no pairing as a result.
This begins to get a bit difficult if this is the case. Camera noise, as discussed elsewhere, or merely approaching a pair may disturb them.

Return to “Photography”