November 2011 sightings

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

Re: November 2011 sightings

Post by David M »

Reddog wrote:I saw three Red Admirals today, two feeding on Ivy and one flying. Seen at St Michaels station Aigburth Liverpool.
That's fast becoming an iconic late season location for Red Admirals!
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

David M wrote:
Reddog wrote:I saw three Red Admirals today, two feeding on Ivy and one flying. Seen at St Michaels station Aigburth Liverpool.
That's fast becoming an iconic late season location for Red Admirals!
I found the Ivy patch on sunday and have gone back to it every time its been sunny. I geuss Iv just been lucky.
nick patel

Post by nick patel »

nice reasonably fresh looking red admiral flying around victoria station (london) yesterday
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

I'm envious of people still seeing butterflies. Despite having been out and about on some mild sunny days (I saw a young couple picnicking in T-shirts yesterday!) I haven't seen any butterflies since 26th October.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Red Admiral in my garden again this afternoon. Looks so much like the one i saw yesterday that i'm sure it's the same butterfly. I don't know what the attraction for it is here but it favours the Bamboo patch where it sits in the sun.
P1000804.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Hoggers wrote:Red Admiral in my garden again this afternoon. Looks so much like the one i saw yesterday that i'm sure it's the same butterfly. I don't know what the attraction for it is here but it favours the Bamboo patch where it sits in the sun.
I suspect these late, late butterflies don't fly very far - the air temperature is on the limit for them and they won't want to waste energy. I guess if they find a little sheltered microclimate with a bit of nectar and a sunning-post they'll be content to stick around.
marmari

Post by marmari »

A beautiful day on the Isle of Wight today and still another Red Admiral to be seen in my back garden enjoying the sun.
Not the individual from a few days ago but one in much better condition and hopefully a must for next season.
legless2007

Post by legless2007 »

marmari wrote:A beautiful day on the Isle of Wight today and still another Red Admiral to be seen in my back garden enjoying the sun.
Not the individual from a few days ago but one in much better condition and hopefully a must for next season.
beautiful!
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

One Red Admiral, today 20th, at Holkham, North Norfolk.

Jack
notpop

Post by notpop »

and one today at Aberlady Bay,East Lothian
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Not the best thing to see this morning in foggy conditions. The land on which someone has put building spoil was the site for seeing Essex skippers over the past few years until last summer! Sometimes my heart bleeds for the way we treat the countryside. :shock: :cry:
Attachments
01-Pratt-Ian--P1020960.jpg
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

...building spoil...
What always gets me is that so often, within a short distance, a perfectly legal place (recycling centre or whatever it's called - and it's often free) for disposing of rubbish. The sheer laziness of some people is beyond my comprehension.

Jack
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

A late report for Saturday 18th November - my sister reports a Red Admiral in warm sunshine at 09.40 in Thurcaston Park, Leicester.

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
NickB

Post by NickB »

Jack Harrison wrote:
...building spoil...
What always gets me is that so often, within a short distance, a perfectly legal place (recycling centre or whatever it's called - and it's often free) for disposing of rubbish. The sheer laziness of some people is beyond my comprehension.
Jack
I think you will find that "commercial" rubbish is charged by the cubic yard* for disposal at public dumps
Hence every cowboy in town finds somewhere to dump their stuff for free....
Someone has to pay - in this case, the butterflies, unfortunately..... :cry:
N

* (Edit: for those who are into metric - that's 9 cubic feet .... )
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

NickB wrote:I think you will find that "commercial" rubbish is charged by the cubic yard*

Just in case any of my maths students are reading this, 1 cubic yard = 27 cubic feet. :D

Guy

PS - when one local commune started charging (quite properly) for bin bags, to make people think twice before wasting so much rubbish and space, we immediately had a fly-tipping problem. Then, when that was stamped on people just started driving to other communes that didn't charge. :(
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
EricY

Post by EricY »

Today I saw & photographed (not processed it yet) a Caddis fly. Looking in the book I think it can only be Limnephilus lunatus that is said to fly in november. "Lunatus" is probably right name for an insect that flies in Nov! Eric
NickB

Post by NickB »

padfield wrote:
NickB wrote:I think you will find that "commercial" rubbish is charged by the cubic yard*

Just in case any of my maths students are reading this, 1 cubic yard = 27 cubic feet. :D

Guy

PS - when one local commune started charging (quite properly) for bin bags, to make people think twice before wasting so much rubbish and space, we immediately had a fly-tipping problem. Then, when that was stamped on people just started driving to other communes that didn't charge. :(
:oops: good job those who run the economy have better maths than I...errrr? :?
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

EricY wrote:Today I saw & photographed (not processed it yet) a Caddis fly. Looking in the book I think it can only be Limnephilus lunatus that is said to fly in november. "Lunatus" is probably right name for an insect that flies in Nov! Eric
Hi Eric,

be warned - there are several caddis that regularly fly into November (especially this November I'd guess!) but luckily L.lunatus is distinctively marked. I quote somebody who knows about them better than I do: "The coloration may vary from pale to dark brown but, the distinguishing feature is the pale 'half moon' on the rear margin of the wing - from whence the Latin 'lunatus'."

But I like your idea for the binominal better! :D

Cheers,

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
teejay

Post by teejay »

NickB wrote:
padfield wrote:

Guy

:oops: good job those who run the economy have better maths than I...errrr? :?

If you really want a metric conversion (and I can't think why anyone would) then unless my trusty calculator is wrong (or it's driver ) 1 cubic yard = 0.77 cubic metre
It's too much dumped rubbish in any language
Richard
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

My 2011 butterfly season is still going strong : I saw a Red Admiral this morning flying in warm sunshine outside the Quaker Meeting House in Ashford, Kent. Marvellous!

Return to “Sightings”