Lee Hurrell

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Lee Hurrell

Post by Lee Hurrell »

In bird news, I saw 3 or 4 Swallows from my office window yesterday, battling against the wind - presumably on thier southerly migration.

This afternoon, outside the college, I noticed a Sparrowhawk in the sky and a flock of around 30 starlings initially flying at a different altitude and in another direction actually change direction to go and mob it!

Something else I've never seen before.

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Lee

I love your two photo`s of speckled wood`s on the ground. I think the background really compliments the butterflies and vice versa. Two truly wonderful pictures, my opinion, much better than a green background.

hideandseek

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Thanks hideandseek, that's nice of you to say!

Cheers

Lee

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I watched a brand new freshly emerged, presumably 3rd brood, female Small White in Teddington, Middlesex this morning :D

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Saturday 1st October

It felt as hot today as it was in the south of France in late June! It has all week actually.

One for Chris C to start with - presumably a female garden spider on my way out today - she was huge.
P1000784.JPG
A fresh looking male Large White, a Small White over the neighbouring allotments and 5 Speckled Wood in my local cemetery this lunchtime. The Speckled Woods were showing less yellow markings on the upperside, characteristic of latter broods.
P1000804.JPG
P1000810.JPG
It was strange being summer and autumnal at the same time.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Lee,

Glad to see you've managed to get out and get some pictures ... AT LAST!

I love the first Speckled Wood shot. Did you take these pictures with the Lumix?

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Thanks Mark :D

Yes, with the Lumix.

I was hoping for a Red Admiral but it wasn't to be. Still, there's always tomorrow!

Best wishes,

Lee

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

i agree with your garden spider :)

Chris

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Thanks Chris.

I remember last year we didn't see that many spiders, I think due to an early frost, while there are loads this year.

Cheers

Lee

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Sunday 2nd October

Another lunchtime walk in blistering 30 degree heat, this time around Brent River Park.

2 Small Whites and 4 Speckled Woods the only sightings, this one looking particularly autumnal.
P1000817.JPG
I found a stretch of the river I hadn't explored before and I was really taken with this little bit, it was so serene and I had it all to myself.
P1000815.JPG
Still missing a Red Admiral I popped into the cemetery on the way home to be greeted by one on a fly past :D

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Saturday 15th October

A gloriously sunny day today, it even made Greenford seem nice.

I was busy again but at lunchtime a Red Admiral flew purposefully through the front garden, direction: due south.

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I’ve been pretty quiet recently as I’ve been really busy - but it’s all over now and we have finally moved home!

Goodbye Greenford, hello rural Kent :D

We’re in a small village not far from Sevenoaks at the foot of the North Downs in the general area in which I grew up.

I’m very much looking forward to exploring the downs and surrounding area in more detail than my childhood and to see what else I can find. I should have species I've travelled far to see over the last two years within walking distance now.

To the next chapter.

Lee

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Lee,

Great to hear from you and I'm glad the move has finally happened. I hope it wasn't too stressful ...

Good luck in your new home.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Travelling to and from work, I've seen quite a few moths along the lanes near me over the last week, presumably either December or Winter ones.

This morning gave an even better sight though. We had an early start, (left home at 05.40), and the lanes were even quieter than usual. Under a narrow, but wooded section where the trees hang over so much it's a bit like driving through a tunnel, we saw a Tawny Owl chasing a small songbird.

Not a bird you often see, but more likely hear, I think it's probably the first one I have ever actually seen!

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Wrotham Mists

After the move in November, in driving to the station I was treated to some wonderful early morning, misty views. The first two were taken between Wrotham and Kemsing, looking south towards Sevenoaks.
IMG_4389.jpg
IMG_4408.jpg
IMG_4411.jpg
Last edited by Lee Hurrell on Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Lee,

Nice landscapes :D

Merry Christmas.

Kind regards. Mark

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Thanks Mark!

Merry Christmas to you and yours too.

Best wishes,

Lee

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Lee,

I`m glad you have just seen your first Tawny Owl. They are such beautiful birds.

I saw two this year, midday, in Chiddingfold Wood, no 5.40am start for me to see one. :D

I hope you and your good lady have a lovely Christmas, and a happy new year.

Nick.

David M

Post by David M »

Lovely atmospheric pics there, Lee.

Have a great Christmas.

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Thanks Nick and David.

Best wishes for the new year!

Lee

Return to “Personal Diaries”