August 2011

Discussion forum for sightings.
MikeOxon

Re: August 2011

Post by MikeOxon »

Michaeljf wrote:The landscape on the South Downs especially in good light is absolutely breathtaking
A splendid set of photos! I thought the one of Neil on the slope really caught the character of the South Downs - I vividly remember clambering over those slopes, when I lived in the area! Good to see the Round-headed Rampion is still thriving there (county flower of Sussex). Also, after comments about its scarcity in other posts, Small Tortoiseshell was clearly about, as well.

Your photos give me a strong urge to re-visit the area!

Mike
Wildmoreway

Post by Wildmoreway »

A Painted Lady and a 2-Spot Ladybird along the River Exe at Powerham in Devon yesterday (20th August) afternoon. I also saw a couple of others in flight near Exeter Bridges.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Just home from a Brown Hairstreak hunt at Steyning. I arrived ahead of the pre-arranged meeting time and as the sun was shining I made my way on to the reserve and down to what i guessed might be the ' Master Tree '. There i found a fellow BH Hunter, Leigh , and in short time we were watching Brown hairstreaks whizzing about high in the Ash tree. Sussex Kipper arrived with a large group of BH Hunters and within minutes a female BH was discovered perched in a bush close by much to everyone's delight.I think they descend when they hear Neil's voice.
P1000290.JPG
i took a photo : now I'm new to photography ( about two weeks ! ) so I hope the attached causes no offence..

I had a limited time to spend at Steyning so left while the others continued the Hunt but many thanks to Neiland all the others.

I stopped off at Newtimber Hill on my way home to see my favourite Skipper : The SSS. Lot's of them up there and I again took some photos, here's one which I hope you'll like.
Attachments
P1000313.JPG
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

MikeOxon wrote:Your photos give me a strong urge to re-visit the area! Mike
Thanks Mike - I'm glad you enjoyed them. I thought that if I couldn't get any good butterfly pictures, I might at least try and get some good ones of Neil taking good butterfly pictures :wink:

Hoggers - I think you could be right about the Hairstreaks descending as soon as they hear Neil's voice, it wouldn't surprise me! :lol:
Michael
David M

Post by David M »

Checked the live webcams at both Tenby and Pembroke Dock before deciding to chance a visit to West Williamston. The weather was lovely until the turn off to Tenby and by the time I arrived at the nature reserve it was overcast with little sign of improvement. :(

At least it wasn't raining, so I made my way onto the foreshore and towards the little glade where the female Brown Hairstreaks regularly descend to lay their eggs on the Blackthorn suckers.

The sun DID come out in the glade and after about ten minutes I saw what I think was a male Brown Hairstreak flying from the top of a hawthorn bush towards one of the ash trees. Shortly after, another small butterfly flew towards the larger hawthorn bush at the entrance to the glade and there was a brief aerial joust as it disturbed another small butterfly that had been perched atop this bush. I lost the first one but the other briefly settled and it was indeed a Brown Hairstreak, however it was impossible to get a shot of it as it was sheltering amongst the leaves and I lost sight of it fairly quickly.

I walked to the limestone knoll at the end of the site in cloudy, and now fairly breezy conditions. There were a couple of Hedge Browns flying, and I saw a single Common Blue too.

Remembering what Sussex Kipper had advised last year, I made sure I was back in the little glade before 11.30am and I got one of the chairs out and sat down.

There weren't many butterflies on the wing here - a few Green Veined Whites, two Red Admirals, a Speckled Wood and a Comma. I waited over an hour and shot up when I saw what I thought was my first female BH of the day, but it turned out to be a Small Copper.

The clouds by now were starting to thin out and the sunny periods became longer. Soon, the sky became clear towards the south west, and the only drawback now was the strength of the wind. I waited patiently, ignoring the Hedge Browns and the solitary Comma which had set up territory in the glade. Eventually, at 1.05pm, down came a female Brown Hairstreak.

She was crawling along the branches of the suckers and arching her abdomen, but I didn't see any egg being deposited. After a while, she flew onto some ferns and basked briefly.

Sadly, she never opened her wings completely - this was about the best I was treated to:

Then, off she flew to check out another potential spot for her eggs, and this time she did lay one.

She then spent more time crawling through the twigs before fluttering up onto the hawthorn where I'd earlier seen a male.

Right at this moment I heard a voice behind me. It was another butterfly enthusiast come to see the Brown Hairstreaks. He'd been on plenty of egg hunts but had never seen an adult. Well, he broke his duck as the female was still visible in the higher branches of the hawthorn, but she soon fluttered off and although we both sat around for another half hour no more were seen (if only he'd arrived 5 minutes earlier when she was laying).

I said my goodbyes and wished him luck as the clock hit two, and made my way back to the car after having first explored the other likely looking area nearer the entrance to the foreshore.

Sadly, no further BHs were seen but there were a few more Speckled Woods, another Small Copper and a first Small Tortoiseshell of the day. It was a whole lot different to my visit to this site on the corresponding Sunday last year when there were the best part of a hundred Tortoiseshells nectaring on the line of Sea Asters near the high tide mark. There were also a few Silver Washed Fritillaries last year, but I didn't see any today.
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Hi David,
I'm glad you had luck at West Williamston - you've posted a lovely collection of images there (I like the chair in the glade!) and the shots of the female and the egg are smashing :D . I would say I wish I'd gone, but the with the forecast changing so much this week and a long day on Saturday we never did give it much thought. In the end the forecast was good in South Wales but not particularly in Pembrokeshire :| . And we were knackered :lol:

I wonder if the Brown Hairstreaks are out there in any numbers on good weather days? I hope that myself and Karen may be able to visit next Monday or Tuesday, weather permitting. :?
Michael
David M

Post by David M »

Michaeljf wrote: I wonder if the Brown Hairstreaks are out there in any numbers on good weather days? I hope that myself and Karen may be able to visit next Monday or Tuesday, weather permitting. :?
Michael
Tomorrow's forecast is very good. 18C and 3mph winds. I think it was the wind that largely prevented them from flying today; it was quite blustery at times.

BTW, the guy I chatted to in the glade was from Pontypridd, and has given me an excellent White Letter Hairstreak location on the outskirts of Cardiff which I'll let you know about in due course.
jenks

Post by jenks »

Really lovely photos of Brown Hairstreak, David. I`m finally re-connected on this website after becoming disconnected mid July !. Did you manage to find any BH at Alners Gorse on 31 July, when we last met ? I had 5 in total (only 1 female I think, the other 4 males). Fontmell Down later that day was cold and windy and I saw no Silver Spotted Skippers, just Meadow Browns and Gatekeepers. The small quarry down the track leading from bottom right of the car park produced 5 Chalkhill Blue, 4 Common Blue and several more Meadow Brown, Gatekeepers, 1 Small Copper and 2 Red Admirals.

Does anyone know if SSS are still about at Fontmell Down or will I have to make a trip to Aston Rowant ?
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

I'm reliably informed that Silver-spotted Skipper peak at Fontmell Down about now Jenks.

Bill :D
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
jenks

Post by jenks »

Willrow wrote:I'm reliably informed that Silver-spotted Skipper peak at Fontmell Down about now Jenks.

Thanks for that info. With a day off tomorrow I might visit there and Alners Gorse again before the rain sets in !.

Jenks.
David M

Post by David M »

jenks wrote: Did you manage to find any BH at Alners Gorse on 31 July, when we last met ? I had 5 in total (only 1 female I think, the other 4 males).
Good to see you back, Jenks. :)

I saw two male and one female Brown Hairstreak at Alner's Gorse on 31 July (see July sightings thread for details).

I know what you mean regarding the deterioration in the weather that day. I moved on towards Swanage after leaving Alner's and it was cloudy and quite cool throughout.

Good luck with the SS Skippers. You can't go wrong at Aston Rowant and it's (literally) right next to the motorway so it's probably more convenient than any other locations that are slightly nearer to you.
sahikmet

Post by sahikmet »

Aston Rowant, 15 plus silver spotted skippers. Few at Bold Hill. Hold Hill has a good number of Chiltern Gentian in flower. Cheers Sezar
Attachments
P8227995a.jpg
P8227984a.jpg
P8227966a.jpg
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Suffolk, 21 August.

Whilst on a field trip learning to identify ants, I visited Upper Hollesley Common (heathland) and Shingle Street (coastal grassland/shingle). Both sites, but especially the former, held good populations of Grayling and Small Heath. The Graylings entertaining me with their two-step folding of the forewing behind the hindwing when coming to rest. Interestingly the lone Meadow Brown at Upper Hollesley Common also seemed to have acquired the trick.

The heath looks like it is being managed for Silver-studded Blue, as areas had been disturbed, probably by ploughing, with tiny heather seedlings regenerating here. We found the ant Myrmica sabuleti here, which makes me wonder whether heathland supports the Large Blue elsewhere within its range. Surprisingly considering the site is next to Rendlesham Forest we did not find the ant Lasius alienus, which I think attends the Silver-studded Blue on some of its sites.
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Llangors Lake, Breconshire, South Wales. Tuesday 23rd August 2011.

We're now into the last week of August, the last 'real week' of Summer, it always sadden's me a little (and I'm not easily saddened :P ) to see another butterfly season on the wane, still there's now't we can do about it, so I refused to let thoughts of September and impending Autumn deflate me :roll: and decided to visit the largest natural lake in southern Wales, Llangors Lake. The weather forecast was happily wrong and instead of showers we had lovely sunshine :D 8) and I strolled around the lakeside meadows seeking out butterflies and dragonflies and enjoying the superb scenery.

I was rather surprised at the numbers of our commoner species also enjoying the lovely sunshine, half a dozen Comma, with similar amounts of Peacock and Red Admiral, strangely I saw just two Small Tortoiseshell and I must say that this species has been in rather short supply this year in South Wales, and furthermore I've not seen a single Painted Lady since early May! As my walk progressed a dozen or so male Common Blue pleased a few backpackers heading up into the Brecon Beacons, amongst the blues was also a solitary worn Small Copper. I was very often distracted (in the nicest way) by Migrant Hawker dragonflies flitting around the hedgerows, too good an opportunity to miss a photograph of this our last emerging of the larger dragons and I managed several very pleasing shots that are potential images for use on a long overdue update of my website http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk.

The small boats on the lake were in competition with literally scores of Mute Swans for space on the water, it must have been a very successful year for them, I took a few photos of the scene using my 105mm Macro lens, it's not exactly recommended by the purist landscaper but what the hell - they turned out like acrylic artwork (exactly what I wanted really :lol: ). The meadows have been mowed of grasses down to the marshier areas and the Common Blue males were evident along with Green-veined White on the Devils-bit Scabious which was quite profuse. Finally a word on Speckled Wood and Meadow Brown, both seem to have had a good year and numbers were still plentiful were the grasses were uncut for the latter and the trees and hedgerows were suitable for the former.

This was a pleasant preamble around a significant area for wildlife, and it's always gratifying to know that even with the pressure of tourists, leisure craft users and water-sport enthusiasts our critters are doing reasonably well :wink:

The Green-veined White enjoying the Devils-bit Scabious.
The Green-veined White enjoying the Devils-bit Scabious.
Attachments
Peacock almost hidden in the meadow grasses.
Peacock almost hidden in the meadow grasses.
Mowed meadows seen through the 105mm Macro lens - an unorthodox photo take!
Mowed meadows seen through the 105mm Macro lens - an unorthodox photo take!
Adult Migrant Hawker out on the lakeside reeds proved tricky to photograph.
Adult Migrant Hawker out on the lakeside reeds proved tricky to photograph.
Immature Male Migrant Hawker posing for a pic...
Immature Male Migrant Hawker posing for a pic...
Comma having it's morning kip!
Comma having it's morning kip!
View towards Llangors village from lakeside meadows.
View towards Llangors village from lakeside meadows.
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Hi Bill,
a very nice report on Llangorse and some lovely pictures, especially of the Dragonflies :D . I admit to having never spent time close to the lake - I have always headed straight to Mynydd Llangorse, a lovely spot for views over the lake and also the mountain region towards Pen Alt Mawr etc. Nice to know so much is going on below. Maybe during the winter I'll drop down to the lake! :wink:
Michael
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Bill,

Nice report and photos. I particularly like the shot of the Green Veined White.

Cheers,

Neil F.
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Michaeljf wrote:I have always headed straight to Mynydd Llangorse, a lovely spot for views over the lake
Hi Michael,

Drop the e off in Llangorse, the gorse bit is an English corruption (awful corrupters the English :lol: ) Llangors means church in the swamp, whereas Llangorse could mean a pain in the a**e :oops: So Mynydd Llangors is mountain above the church in the swamp, can you remember me explaining to you and Karen that every Welsh place name had meaning...so endeth the lesson :wink:

Thanks for the kind comments, they're appreciated as always. Incidentally I've finally caught up with your 'Adventures in Butterflyland'...absolutely lovely jubbly :)

Happy Days
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

nfreem wrote:Hi Bill,

Nice report and photos. I particularly like the shot of the Green Veined White.

Cheers,

Neil F.

Thanks a lot Neil, I think I'll have to get my right angle viewfinder out of mothballs, the critter was down too low for my poor old 'hill walkers knees', every low down shot is a challenge these days...'creak'...'creak' :lol:

Best Wishes,
NickB

Post by NickB »

On a local bike ride: round the edge of Coldham's Common, 5+ Small Heath,10+ Small White 3+ Large and GV White, 2 Common Blue, 1 Brown Argus and a couple of MB. Highlight was a fresh Small Tortoiseshell...
ST_2_low_CC_24th_Aug_2011.jpg
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I have to agree with Michael and Neil - great report Bill and lovely photos. Happy Days indeed!

Nick, your Small Tort ain't bad either.

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.

Return to “Sightings”