Reverdin

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Rogerdodge

Re: Reverdin

Post by Rogerdodge »

Rev
Brilliant reports.
I really wish I could have been there with you.
As usual your photos get better and better.

See you soon.

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Cheers

Roger
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Look forward to the time you can come up to North Yorks.... you obviously have been practicing for the climate recently :D :roll: - I have found a nice real ale pub here I didn't know about. Good times will be had. 8)

I have never until now had what I would judge to be a decent underside shot of a Peacock... Why bother? - well... I think they as beautiful as any other butterfly :D
Peacock's more subtle side
Peacock's more subtle side
also - our Purple Hairstreaks are spinning high in the Oak tree at the bottom of the garden, and I just watched a Small Copper ovipositing on the sorrel in my little wildflower patch :D :D

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Here is the result from the Small Copper I watched yesterday.... 4 years of "environmental manipulation" now counts as a success!! :D
Small Copper ovum on Sheep's Sorrel
Small Copper ovum on Sheep's Sorrel
Small Copper ovum on Sheep's Sorrel 2
Small Copper ovum on Sheep's Sorrel 2

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Ha!..... back on line after a computer disaster, self inflicted by me trying to make extra room on me c drive :roll: :roll: deleted an important driver & lost connectivity :evil: - all with no-one else to blame :wink:

Had a few days last week in Somerset, and made the most of some average weather to visit Shipton Bellinger for the first time, then Lulworth and Durston another day.
Brown Hairstreak has been something of my nemesis, so having paced the hedgerows to weariness, I settled down by a vaguely promising Ash to console myself - a nice bloke wandered past and said "they're over there".. half a dozen or so, gesticulating in the direction of the other side of the adjacent field. " might just be your lucky day".... as I bemoaned my BH sterility...
so I set wearily off to where several others were patrolling the said hedgerow. Started at one end and just as I was starting to think there would be nothing, the most beautiful fresh female BH was good enough to nectar away before my eyes - first of several to show themselves along a very short section of hedge...
Female Brown Hairstreak 1
Female Brown Hairstreak 1
Female Brown Hairstreak 2
Female Brown Hairstreak 2
Female Brown Hairstreak 3
Female Brown Hairstreak 3
Female Brown Hairstreak 4
Female Brown Hairstreak 4
The first time you really see something, is a memorable one indeed. :D :D
Last edited by Reverdin on Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David M

Post by David M »

Reverdin wrote:The first time you really see something, is a memorable one indeed. :D :D
Certainly true with this species. I was mesmerised when I saw my first BH at close quarters last year.

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

I really think this has to be the most difficult UK species to see.... means a lot!

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Tried Lydlinch to see if Brown Hairstreaks were in evidence there.... true to form, not a sausage!! :roll:
However, there were some beautiful, if not uncommon butterflies around...
Brown Argus
Brown Argus
Common Blue underside
Common Blue underside
Common Blue upperside
Common Blue upperside

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Finally went down to Lulworth - no Adonis seen, but a really quite fresh Chalkhill was showing off....didn't expect to see that!! :shock:
Chalkhill Blue
Chalkhill Blue
Then moved on to Durlston in the hope of Adonis... and after a heavy shower....

Oh... and can anyone name the wee beasties this Adonis was treading on as they tried to procreate ??? :D
Adonis underside 1
Adonis underside 1
Adonis underside 2
Adonis underside 2
Adonis upperside 1
Adonis upperside 1
Adonis upperside 2
Adonis upperside 2
Adonis upperside 3
Adonis upperside 3
:D :D :D

Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Hi there, bugs aren't really my strong point, but the ones in your pic could be (note COULD be!) Myrmus miriformis...maybe! :D
Have a look at http://www.britishbugs.org.uk/heteropte ... ormis.html for a pic.

Cheers,

Gibster.

Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Close enough for me thanks Gibster, I am constantly in awe of the collective intelligence available on this site :D :D :D

Gibster

Post by Gibster »

You wouldn't be if you met a few more of us :lol:

Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

:wink: :lol:

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

A Red Admiral warming itself in this morning's autumnal sun..
V. atalanta
V. atalanta
:D

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

I've been using a different way of "developing" my RAW images over the last few days, and some re-do's seem worth a new airing..
Spotted Frit and friend
Spotted Frit and friend
Male QoS
Male QoS
Weaver's ups
Weaver's ups
Weaver's uns
Weaver's uns
Marsh ups
Marsh ups
Marsh uns
Marsh uns
There will be more to follow

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Now for another focus on Green Underside Blue, and Black Eyed Blue..
Green Underside male
Green Underside male
Green Underside male
Green Underside male
Green Underside male
Green Underside male
Green Underside male
Green Underside male
Green Underside underside!
and Black Eyed...
Black-eyed Blue male
Black-eyed Blue male
Black-eyed Blue male
Black-eyed Blue male
Black-eyed Blue underside

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Great pictures, Rev!

Those underside pics illustrate something Tim C pointed out to me years ago. The black spots on the forewing of alexis tend towards the outer margin as they go south, where in melanops they turn back in towards the base. It makes the two species spearable regardless of the condition, or whether you can see the marginal markings.

G

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Ah.... so they do... the marginal marking differentiator is much less obvious than that now you say... fascinating how not so subtle differences can be easily unobserved.... and I thought I had looked closely!!
I remember your alexis photo from last year when I thought I would really really like to see one like that, unbelievable Blue shade, as stunning in it's own way as bellargus.
- Hope your torso is not as blue as the butterflies :shock: :( :wink:

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

A few more dimly lit ones, hence the inescapable noise...
Skipper, ?malvae
Skipper, ?malvae
Sooty Copper underside
Sooty Copper underside
orion underside
orion underside
orion upperside
orion upperside

Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

France005RS.jpg
IMG_7251.JPG
Paul
It is interesting to compare our efforts with this Sooty Copper side by side.
Yours at f10, and mine at f11.
My longer focal length (180mm) compared to yours (100mm) makes a lot of difference to the cleanness of the background I think.

Cheers

Roger
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

owch yes indeed - I MUCH prefer your clean background to mine... still working on getting the best I can out of my setup. :roll: Hope this is bringing back some good memories :D :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”