The Aurelian's Fireside Companion

Discussion forum for books and any other media concerning butterflies.
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

An Entomological Anthology

I've just treated myself to this wonderful book by Michael A Salmon & Peter J Edwards; it's a collection of 200 notes, letters and articles gleaned from British entomological journals from the past 200 years or so.

In the words of the author's - "It's a celebration of the joys and frustrations experienced by collectors of butterflies and moths".

This book is a limited edition of 1000 copies, it's certainly no lightweight tome, either physically or content wise, indeed the author's stress it's text is non scientific and the very title would suggest a book that you can simply dip into time and time again..."ideally in a comfortable armchair by the fireside in winter" writes Peter Marren in his foreword for the book. I've only read a few of the 425 pages as yet, but I instinctively know I'm going to simply love this book, how could I not when it comes from the same pedigree as The Aurelian Legacy (another heartily recommended tome).

The famous names of entomology abound throughout the book; Newman, Stainton, Tutt, Leeds, Frowhawk, Allen, Baron Charles de Worms, Rothschild et al. Clergymen, high-ranking military men, professors of medicine and the ordinary amateur lepidopterist are all included in a pot-pourri of anecdote, gossip, reminiscences and even entomological fraud (never I hear you all cry - but tis' true!). I believe this fascinating book has something to offer even the most seasoned naturalist, just take a look at that superb cover by the artist/illustrator Tim Bernhard, it evokes all the summer of a butterfly meadow even allowing for the free artistic licence the artist has released; swallowtails, marbled white, peacock and fritillary all fly freely on this delightful cover. Include many dozens, no! - many scores of pictures and illustrations throughout and you have the recipe for an award winning book, which it most certainly should be...and most probably is (I'm not sure).

Before I leave you all wondering how you can afford not to get this book...I bought mine from Pemberley Books (via Amazon Marketplace) at the exceedingly good price of £20 plus postage & packing @ £2.80 that's pretty good eh!

I'm giving this a Willrow Star Rating of 6 out of 5 - however numbers never was my strong suit :lol: Buy this excellent book, I simply can't put mine down...and now what page was I on... :wink:

Bill :D
Attachments
Tim Bernhard has produced a simply delightful cover
Tim Bernhard has produced a simply delightful cover
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
P.J.Underwood

Re: The Aurelian's Fireside Companion

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Thanks for this info.I have just bought mine,to go with Variations in British Butterflies,recommended by Piers.It sits nicely next to The Anatomy of Domestic Animals by Sissons.
P.J.U.
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

P.J.Underwood wrote:Thanks for this info
Your more than welcome PJ, and I just hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm enjoying mine.

Roddick

Post by Roddick »

Thanks very much for providing the value able information here...!!
I have ordered the book and will get the delivery in a couple of days..!!
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

An investment in pleasure Roddick :) I'm sure you'll enjoy it immensely. Books such as this don't come by very often and do remember it's a limited edition.

Enjoy!!!

dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Roddick wrote:Thanks very much for providing the value able information here...!!
I have ordered the book and will get the delivery in a couple of days..!!
Me too! Looking forward to it. I got a "your goods have been dispatched" notice less than 2hrs after ordering, so thumbs up to Pemberley Books.

Return to “Books, Articles, Videos, TV”