Where to find NBA in poor weather?

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
dilettante

Where to find NBA in poor weather?

Post by dilettante »

This week I'm staying near St Abb's Head, where I'd been hoping to see Northern Brown Argus (having failed to find them at Arnside last week). Alas the weather is pretty dreadful, but tomorrow we're at least forecast sunny intervals, if cold (16C) and windy (18 mph). So can anyone advise where I might find NBAs sheltering?

Should I look in long grass near Rock Rose, or under leaves of bushes, trees, or ...? And if anyone knows St Abb's Head specifically, pointers to good locations would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any clues!
IAC

Re: Where to find NBA in poor weather?

Post by IAC »

Hi dilettante,
There were some around on the Berwickshire coast south of Eyemouth on Friday at least. Cant say one way or the other concerning St Abbs though. The challenge will be to find a reasonably fresh one!! I am not an expert on the St Abbs site as I tend to see NBA away from here, either north or south of the Headland. There is a good little site at Blaikie Heugh south of Eyemouth on the coastal path. A little alcove- undercliff section...in any weather bar an easterly you should find a few. NT953626. Less than 1 mile from Eyemouth...uphill all the way though....once you reach the top look for a little concrete shelter on your right...there will be a signed detour down to the little area of undercliff.....as soon you descend the steps look out for them....Tons of Grayling at this site...and should be some Wall Brown.
They do tend to shelter behind low scrub in poor weather....Good Luck!!!

Iain.
Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

There is a small lake at St Abbs Head and I've seen NBA at the southern end of the lake amongst the grasses on the seaward side of the lake.
Cheers Paul

Post by dilettante »

Thanks for the replies both of you. I'm planning to walk from Coldingham Bay to St Abbs tomorrow, so it sounds like I stand a chance. Seeing Walls would be good too. My son saw one at Lindisfarne Castle today, but I missed it and have yet to see one this year.

Return to “General”