Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
GOLDENORFE

Re: Sussex Kipper

Post by GOLDENORFE »

it was great to meet you neil, it is a fabulous site! 30+ ticks! i only had 3!!!!!!!!

great set of shots, love the last pano

PS CANT WAIT TO SEE THE PH SHOTS :)
phil

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Likewise!

An excellent report and I look forward to reading the next one. :D

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Sussex Kipper wrote:but I could never have predicted the large slice of Lady Luck which was waiting for me the following morning.
This is worse than Agatha Christie!

Great shots Neil.

Kind regards. Mark

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Arnside Knott (Part 2)

I was back on The Knott by 7am on the second day, simply because I wanted to enjoy the place before I became focused on the butterflies. Initially I had the hill to myself and I stopped a while at the top of the first stage of the climb to drink in the views and listen to the curlews bubbling away down on the estuary below. I lost all track of time, but at some point the first butterflyer of the day turned up to photograph the Scotch Argus as they warmed up for the day ahead.

It's always nice to share those magic moments when the unexpected and spectacular occurs, and the other enthusiast lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time that morning was Graham Camage from Newark. As we wandered around chatting about butterflies I noticed a small grey triangle sitting on the fresh green bracken, which caused me to 'double take' as it seemed so incongruous up here. It took a while for the penny to drop that the calendar for Purple Hairstreaks would be significantly behind that down South, where they had been on the wing for well over a month and were all tattered, torn and faded by now. I had given up trying to photograph the species this year. Of course early morning fern-sitting is often performed by recently-emerged hairstreaks and as I took a closer look it became obvious that this was freshly minted, and I suspected female. It seemed such an unlikely event that I started to think 'what if?', recalling Pete's memorable experience and fantastic photos taken back in June.

After we both got shots of the underside I suggested I try to shade it, in an attempt to encourage it to open its wings. It worked, and as the wings flattened we were treated to flashes of rich electric-blue that could match any Emperor. There was just enough time for Graham and I to take turns in shooting from the best angle before she was up and away into an ash tree.... the only Purple Hairstreak I saw during my visit to Arnside Knott! We have both been around long enough to appreciate how seldom such opportunities come along, and I think we both floated around in a trance for the rest of the day.
UKB PH1.jpg
UKB PH2.jpg
I was still sitting on The Knott long after the butterflies had gone to bed, and I felt a tinge of sadness that it was time to leave a place that had been so generous to me. Only a tinge though, as I know I'll be back.
UKB Leaving Arnside Knott.jpg

GOLDENORFE

Post by GOLDENORFE »

AWSOME!!!!!! amazing find with open wings :)

phil

selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

It's not often I stop to comment on phot's, but that really is one special picture of the Purple Hairstreak. Truly amazing

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Great images and descriptions Neil. Arnside Knott is a truly epic site for lots of reasons and you made the most of it I would say :mrgreen: . I'm pleased the trip went so well, although it's not often we see a report of the weather being described as "too" good at Arnside :) .

Cheers,
Vince

Colin Knight

Post by Colin Knight »

Wonderful story and pics Neil as always, very inspiring. Sue loves the landscapes.

cheers
Colin

Susie

Post by Susie »

Oh yeah! Those Ph pics are easily as good as you said they would be. Sublime.

Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Top work Neil, an unmatchable shot. :mrgreen:

Cheers,,, Zonda.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Great story and great shots, as ever, Neil! So - cameras at 10 paces for the best PH shot of 2012 next year then? :lol:

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
David M

Post by David M »

Great photo of a mint specimen.

Quite a few people seem to have got open wing shots of Purple Hairstreaks this year. Are they more abundant than usual?

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Kipper, I've just posted to say how wonderful THE OTHER purple hairstreak shot is, so I have to add that yours are fantastic too! :D

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks all for the kind comments. Pawpawsaurus, Pete and I are all very fortunate to have been visited by these little gems.
While I'm online it's worth reporting that Dingy Skipper is currently experiencing the strongest second brood that I can recall. In the South of England a partial second brood appears most years, reflected by reports of scattered singletons. At Mill Hill (Shoreham) I counted 12 this afternoon! Worth checking your local Dingy site.
Neil

Piers

Post by Piers »

Luck? luck isn't the word..! You do realise that they're not supposed to be that vivid blue colour don't you Neil?

Piers :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Piers,
I don't really know quite what to make of this colouration - it stunned me when she opened her wings. It was this same shade of electric-blue irrespective of viewing angle. I've only ever seen this once before - in an image taken by BC Sussex member Richard Roebuck. His female Purple Hairstreak, which was blown to the ground by the 2010 mid July gales, showed very similar colouring, again very different from the standard purple. I'm not sure how rare it is, particularly given the difficulties in viewing more than a miniscule percentage of female Purple Hairstreaks. All those I've observed in the canopy through binoculars have been regulation purple.
Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Dingy Goes Again

My most recent search for Dingy Skipper (30th July) at Mill Hill produced a tally of 22, which is by far the most I've ever encountered during the second brood. On Sunday afternoon (31st July) Hannah, Mia and I ventured up Heyshott Escarpment and found 2 freshly-emerged Dingies. There may be more to come here over the next week or two. It will be interesting to see whether the species shows strongly elsewhere.
UKB Second Brood Dingy 1.jpg
UKB Second Brood Dingy 2.jpg

Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Hi Neil,
a bit late - but lovely photographs and a great read regarding Arnside Knott. All the photos are great, but of course, the Purple Hairstreak is extraordinary. I loved your description of the morning and seeing it - it reminded me of Guy seeing his Poplar Admiral earlier in the year. Thanks as always for sharing with us :) .

I may be going to Arnside Knott this weekend, car and weather willing :roll:. I just hope the Ticks aren't as bad as you say. Being insulin-dependent diabetic I find that they don't normally go for me - so I'm hoping that will hold true again... :| :shock:
Michael

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Michael. I hope the car and weather work for you. By now the place should be crawling with Mc Argus. Have a great trip. You'll love shooting the landscape too.
Neil

Mark Senior

Post by Mark Senior »

Sussex Kipper wrote:Dingy Goes Again

My most recent search for Dingy Skipper (30th July) at Mill Hill produced a tally of 22, which is by far the most I've ever encountered during the second brood. On Sunday afternoon (31st July) Hannah, Mia and I ventured up Heyshott Escarpment and found 2 freshly-emerged Dingies. There may be more to come here over the next week or two. It will be interesting to see whether the species shows strongly elsewhere.
UKB Second Brood Dingy 1.jpg
UKB Second Brood Dingy 2.jpg
Hi Neil
I saw a couple of 2nd brood Dingies at Castle Hill NR Woodingdean when I paid a rare visit there just over 2 weeks ago . I would expect rather more to have emerged since then . That site is certainly also worth searching for Silver Spotted Skippers as it looks in colonisation distance from other known sites . I may try to go back there next week .

Cheers
Mark Senior

Return to “Personal Diaries”