Mark Colvin

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Mark Colvin

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Yeah, thanks :roll:

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Kithurst Hill and Hog Wood, 23 July 2011

After early rain the sky cleared and the sun came out. By 9am I was walking through the wet flower meadow at Kithurst Hill. The ground was warming quickly and the numerous male Chalkhill Blue were taking in the heat of the early morning sun. I was pleased to see a greater number of females this morning as their presence had previously gone unseen except for a few solitary individuals.

The Marbled White are now very much past their best and nearly every individual seen and inspected was carrying the parasitic red mite (Trombidium breei).

Species seen included:

Brown Argus
Chalkhill Blue
Common Blue (single female)
Red Admiral
Meadow Brown
Ringlet
Gatekeeper
Small White
Small Skipper
Marbled White
Brown Argus (female), Kithurst Hill (23 July 2011)
Brown Argus (female), Kithurst Hill (23 July 2011)
Chalkhill Blue (female), Kithurst Hill (23 July 2011)
Common Blue (female), Kithurst Hill (23 July 2011)
Common Blue (female), Kithurst Hill (23 July 2011)
Red Admiral (probable male), Kithurst Hill (23 July 2011)
Red Admiral (probable male), Kithurst Hill (23 July 2011)
Later in the afternoon I visited Hog Wood and took the opportunity to photograph the numerous Gatekeeper and a selection of damselflies.
Common Blue Damsel (male), Hog Wood (23 July 2011)
Common Blue Damsel (male), Hog Wood (23 July 2011)
Gatekeeper (female), Hog Wood (23 July 2011)
Gatekeeper (female), Hog Wood (23 July 2011)

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Alder Platt Meadow, Plaistow, 24 July 2011

It wasn’t until 6.15pm that I managed to get out and take a short walk through the small copse and into the grass meadows close to my home. Armed with my camera I managed just a few record shots (my spirit was lifted). The Small Heath were just not playing ball for a really good shot this evening as on nearly every occasion I saw one flying it would land and quite simply drop into the long grass. Maybe next time ...

Species seen included:

Small Copper
Brown Argus
Small Heath
Meadow Brown
Common Blue (female)
Small Copper (male), Plaistow (24 July 2011)
Small Copper (male), Plaistow (24 July 2011)
Small Heath (probable male), Plaistow (24 July 2011)
Small Heath (probable male), Plaistow (24 July 2011)
Last edited by Mark Colvin on Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Dawney’s Hill, 25 July 2011

Travelling down the M3 early this afternoon led me ‘quite by chance’ to Junction 3 and even more conveniently I had to pass Dawney’s Hill … and it was time for lunch!

My first visit to Dawney’s Hill was on 18 July 2011. Grayling were once again by far the most prolific species seen and were active over most of the heathland with many nectaring on the flower heads of the Bell Heather (Erica cinerea). Though sometimes difficult to approach, by standing motionless several Grayling actually investigated and landed on me. At first I thought that they might be trying to take nutrients from my sweat (it was hot today) though no evidence of feeding was seen. Maybe I just smelt nice!

Species seen included:

Silver-studded Blue
Common Blue
Brown Argus
Brimstone
Large Skipper
Grayling
Gatekeeper
Meadow Brown
Grayling, Dawney's Hill (25 July 2011)
Grayling, Dawney's Hill (25 July 2011)

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Lovely shot Mark - and those from the 18th too.

How many were on the wing today?

Cheers

Lee

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Lee,

Glad you like the shot. I was particularly keen to get an image of one nectaring (not sure if its male or female). In the end I managed to get several shots with this, in my opinion, being the best.

There were certainly a lot of Grayling about though difficult to put a number on how many.

I was fairly close to your neck of the woods this morning as I was working in Ashford at the top of the M3. I would have given you a call if I had your number.

We must meet up.

Kind regards. Mark

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

There's something about the heather in the background that adds to it too.

Yes indeed, it would be great to meet up again.

Cheers

Lee

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Alder Platt Meadow, Plaistow, 27 July 2011

Armed with appropriate nasal spray and irritable eye drops (other products are available) I ventured into the long grass aware of the dangers that lay ahead! The Small Heath were waiting in ambush and this time they played ball and presented themselves with a number of good photo opportunities. Despite seeing considerably more several days ago only two Common Blue were found.

Species seen included:

Common Blue
Small Skipper
Small Heath
Gatekeeper
Meadow Brown
Small Heath, Alder Platt Meadow, Plaistow (27 July 2011)
Common Blue (male), Alder Platt Meadow, Plaistow (27 July 2011)
Common Blue (male), Alder Platt Meadow, Plaistow (27 July 2011)
Last edited by Mark Colvin on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Nice photos Mark, I particularly like the Small Heath shots.
It was only the other day that I managed to find one that was not deep down amongst grass stems :roll:

Cheers,

Neil.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thanks Neil, I'm glad you like them.
nfreem wrote:It was only the other day that I managed to find one that was not deep down amongst grass stems.
Exactly my problem the other day.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Friday, 29 July 2011

After what seemed like a long trek up to Heyshott Escarpment in the hope of finding roosting Dingy Skipper, a long wait ensued before finding a single male Chalkhill Blue on one of the upper slopes (after just over 1 hour of looking!). A single Meadow Brown and single Speckled Wood were all that followed in the main area. No Dingy Skipper were found despite first brood specimens being found here early in the season.

On my way back down, in one of the lower areas off the main track, several male Chalkhill Blue were seen along with a single male Common Blue, a single male Marbled White and possibly the sadest looking Ringlet I have ever seen.

All in all a poor start and I even took a picture of a moth!

Species seen included:

Common Blue
Chalkhill Blue
Ringlet
Marbled White
Meadow Brown

... and what seemed like every horsefly on the hill!
Common Carpet (Epirrhoe alternata), Heyshott (29 July 2011)
Kithurst Hill followed and though the rain came after only a short time a productive visit was forthcoming.

Species seen included:

Common Blue
Chalkhill Blue
Small Blue (single female)
Brown Argus
Small Copper (at least four)
Small Skipper
Gatekeeper
Marbled White
Meadow Brown
Small Copper, Kithurst Hill (29 July 2011)
Small Copper, Kithurst Hill (29 July 2011)
Small Copper (female) ab. caeruleo-punctata, Kithurst Hill (29 July 2011)
Small Copper (female) ab. caeruleo-punctata, Kithurst Hill (29 July 2011)
My final destination was Furnace Meadow at Ebernoe where the sun was shining and all the expected grassland species were found.

Species seen included:

Common Blue
Brown Argus
Small Copper
Small Heath
Gatekeeper
Meadow Brown
Large White
Green-veined White
Large White (female), Ebernoe (29 July 2011)
Large White (female), Ebernoe (29 July 2011)
Furnace Meadow, Ebernoe (29 July 2011)
Furnace Meadow, Ebernoe (29 July 2011)
Last edited by Mark Colvin on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Mark,

I particularly like the shot of the Small Copper ab. the blue spots show up a treat.

Cheers,

Neil

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Cracking pictures, Mark!

No second brood Dukes at Heyshott either?

Cheers

Lee

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thanks Guys,

I'm glad you like the pictures. I have to say I'm very pleased with the results I've managed to produce with my camera particularly when you consider I only purchased it on 23rd June 2011 and have never done any insect photography before. I think it proves you don't necessarily need thousands of pounds worth of gear to get a good image (though of course image quality is in the eye of the beholder!). I do feel that having a good eye for a picture is often far more important than the equipment you are using.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Botany Bay, 2 August 2011

A brief visit to a very hot and humid Botany Bay early this afternoon produced good numbers of 2nd brood Wood White including a pair in copulation on the flower head of the larval foodplant Meadow Vetchling (Lathyrus pratensis). After a short time observing them they were briefly joined by a second male who tried quite hard, though unsuccessfully, to get in on the action!

Species seen included:

Wood White
Brimstone
Gatekeeper
Meadow Brown
Large Skipper
Red Admiral
Silver-washed Fritillary
Copulating Wood White, Botany Bay (2 August 2011)
Brimstone (male), Botany Bay (2 August 2011)
Brimstone (male), Botany Bay (2 August 2011)

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Some great shots of Wood White - I am disgustingly jealous as this is a species I just can't seem to get round to seeing - so jealous in fact I don't even want to use the appropriate smilee!
:wink:
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Lovely photos of the Wood Whites Mark.

Cheers,

Neil.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thanks Guys,

I really appreciate your comments.
Wurzel wrote:Some great shots of Wood White - I am disgustingly jealous as this is a species I just can't seem to get round to seeing.
Do get out and see them Wurzel.

They're around in good numbers in my local woods at the moment. PM me if you're in the Chiddingfold area.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

EricY

Post by EricY »

Mark, the first copulating wood white photo is a classic with exceptional symetery, deserves a wider audience. Eric

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Botany Bay (2 August 2011) continued …

I don’t mind a bit of competition but my 13 year old son is getting a bit too close for comfort! He took these and several others with my old 6 megapixel Canon Ixus 65 whilst with me this afternoon!

My apologies to Wurzel for posting these. :wink:

Return to “Personal Diaries”