Brown Argus

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
john starkey

Brown Argus

Post by john starkey »

Hi everyone,i have just registered and i would like you to comment on this image of a Brown argus,i have been doing wildlife/bird photography for about 2 year's,last year i got myself the new canon 100mm 2.8 is L macro lens,since then i have found a real passion for macro photography especially butterflies,this summer has been my first real all out assault on the species,so i would be happy for some advice and crit were needed,many thank's John.

Regard's John.
MikeOxon

Re: Brown Argus

Post by MikeOxon »

That's a very nice image, John, and welcome to the forums.

The exposure and detail in the butterfly wings is great, and I love the way the colours in the beautifully out-of-focus background echo the flower on which she is standing. The background is a tribute to the excellent bokeh of your Canon macro. Your exposure of 1/100s @ f/8, ISO400 indicates that the light levels were not too high and I think soft lighting, rather than direct sun, is an asset.

If I were looking to improve it, I would try to adjust your position so that the plane of sharp focus includes the forepeak of the wing. After the eyes, this is a critical point where the viewer's attention rests.

You could use a smaller aperture but, although the depth of field will increase, the absolute sharpness may be reduced by diffraction; you should be ok to at least f/11 or even f/16, and it would probably help with the antennae as well. I always find it is difficult to decide how to cope with the antennae, as they always stray outside the area of optimum focus!

All in all, it's a lovely picture and I'll look forward to seeing more in the forums.

Mike
john starkey

Post by john starkey »

Hi Mike,thank you for your advice,a very good in depth reply,i like to take my shot's hand held,(hate carrying a tripod about)but i will put your tip's to use and see what i can achieve,

Take care,
John.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I'm no fan of tripods either - especially for mobile subjects like butterflies. Many people consider you can't get sharp pics without them but I find that a monopod is a good compromise - less hassle than a tripod but a big improvement in stability over hand-holding.

Mike

Return to “Photography”