Otmoor, Oxon

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
MikeOxon

Otmoor, Oxon

Post by MikeOxon »

28th July 2011

Next to the carpark for the RSPB reserve near Beckley, Oxon, there is bridleway known as the Roman Road. Yesterday, in hot sunshine, both sides of the ride held clouds of butterflies, rising up from the undergrowth with each step. Most were Gatekeepers, with several multi-spotted varaiants.
Roman Road, Otmoor, Oxon - 28th July 2011
Also,several Brimstones and just a few vanessids, including Red Admirals and Peacock.
Where this ride meets the open moor, there is what must surely rank as the most unfriendly gate in the country! If the cows with calves are insufficiently agressive then there is always the bull to chase you on to an unexploded bomb. Meanwhile, you will be used for target practice from the adjacent firing range!. You may just manage to spot the blue bridleway arrow among the other signs!
I was pleased when one of the brown butterflies turned out to be a Brown Hairstreak, although not in the best of condition.
Mike
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Otmoor, Oxon

Post by Padfield »

A friend and I once spent half an hour or more up a tree on Otmoor - perhaps in that very meadow - after a bull charged us, closely followed by his stampeding harem. We didn't have time to reach the edge of the field, so we climbed the tree and sat it out. The bull never gave up, but just stamped and snorted and even sort of growled at the foot of the tree while his adoring cows looked on in admiration. In the end, my friend distracted him on one side of the tree while I climbed down on the other and scampered to safety. Then I attracted the bull to another part of the boundary and my friend made his bolt for freedom.

That was 20 years ago. I see things haven't changed.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Sounds a terrifying experience - at least you avoided the unexploded bombs! Perhaps butterflying should be classified as a dangerous sport.

Mike
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

padfield wrote:That was 20 years ago. I see things haven't changed.
Only perhaps that you can't run as fast these days Guy...or can you :?: :lol:

Bill :D
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk

Return to “Sites”