ChrisC

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Susie

Re: ChrisC

Post by Susie »

Happy birthday, old chap. Wishing you many happy returns of the day. :D

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

chap would have done, no need for the old :) thanks Sue :)

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Just rubbing it in :wink:

Piers

Post by Piers »

Happy birthday Mr.C...
Susie wrote:Just rubbing it in :wink:
Now that sounds like a worthy birthday treat. :D

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Many happy returns Chris! :D

Cheers

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

thank you lee and piers :)
had a quick scout around the garden this evening to see what was about and one of the half a dozen labrynth spiders was sunning herself and looking in pretty good shape
labrynth.jpg
there were a few other spiders around too but i'll spare any readers those. but keeping with the arachnid theme this tiny harvestman didn't have much of a life, the john hurt scene in Alien maybe not so far fetched for this chap.
harvest.jpg
and i'm afraid this 2mm arachnid didn't last long after this photo was taken. everyones favourite.
tick.jpg
and to leave you on a happy note, still at least 3 red Admiral in the garden
basking.jpg
backlit.jpg

Susie

Post by Susie »

Piers wrote:Happy birthday Mr.C...
Susie wrote:Just rubbing it in :wink:
Now that sounds like a worthy birthday treat. :D
ChrisC is older than I am (even if he looks younger in his avatar) and I wont let him forget it. :lol:

Back to the butterflies, I have a couple of red admirals in the garden when the sun shines, which is rarely, but they seem to prefer the buddleia 'honeycomb' over any other one in the garden at the moment. Looks like yours have similar tastes.

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

popped in to portland this morning to put more faces to names. a few butterflies about. just nice to be there really.
bl.jpg
burn.jpg
I nearly missed this one
mw-cam.jpg
gks.jpg
blue.jpg
wo-blue.jpg

and last but not least a nice steatoda nobilis in the garden last night
steatoda.jpg
Last edited by ChrisC on Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That spider is fantastic - does it have a common name? It's abdomen reminds me of those psychiatrist ink blots - I'm sure I saw a face in them, nope looking again it's somone sitting cross legged and meditating :shock:
Are there many Lulworth Skippers at Portland? I got my Grayling today and they're last on this years list. :D

Cheers

Wurzel

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

thanks Wurzel. the spider is known as a false widow. but this term applies to a few of the steatoda family. And no Lulworths had been seen by the time i left about one-ish. so i'll await the reports. Well done on your Grayling.

Chris

Gibster

Post by Gibster »

And no Lulworth Skippers by the time Team UKB left either...just a few Smalls.

Good to meet you, Chris. Shame I didn't really get to chat with you properly, but Sam says you're a really nice fella (but then she's in love with me, so is clearly derranged!!) :lol:
We found a fleece which Susie reckons is yours. So if you're wondering where you left it...

Cheers mate,

Gibster and Sami.

Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Thanks Gibster. I have no doubt we'll bump into each other somewhere. these UKB excursions are good fun. :)

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

well what can i say apart from i'm jealous of all these wonderful pictures being posted. i'm afraid my excursions have been limited to the garden and quick walk out the back but even that has turned up a couple of garden ticks with regards to spiders.
the first Neriene Peltata
peltata.jpg
and a rather photographic Evarcha Falcata
evarcha-falcata.jpg
eva.jpg
and out the back i found my first ever tiger beetle larvae weird looking creatures these are.
tigers.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg
so no prizes for pretty in this diary :)

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Nice photos Chris,

The second shot of the Evarcha Falcata looks quite cute :lol:

Cheers,

Neil.

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Thanks Neil, she was most obliging
only a short clip but looks like she was biting her toenails :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4w5jtHHpKY[/video]

Susie

Post by Susie »

Or sucking her "thumb" ?

I agree, that second pic with the big eyes is great. :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Ahhh!!! ....a spider with a little Teddy Bear face sucking its thumb :lol:

Brilliant :D

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The cute spider almost has the look of a little puupy that has just peed on the carpet...or Puss from Shrek 2, he too then leapt into action!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

spent an hour or so over the wood, no purple hairstreak still, but silver washed including my first but very very tatty valesina and a single white admiral still clinging on. a few piccies. the fleabane was very popular, and a clump of hemp agrimony had at least 20 butterflies mainly peacocks.
gk.jpg
gk1.jpg
swood.jpg
was playing around with angles and found i liked this Brimstone for some reason.
bri.jpg
smc.jpg

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

just a quick note on my diary to thank wikipedia, i've been looking at hundreds of pictures of butterflies today to try and work out why the meadow browns and gatekeepers only showed 4 legs in photos upon looking i noticed quite a few other species too and the others blues and whites showed 6. i even had started a new thread about it when i thought hang on before i post, let me just check what Nymphalidae means "In adult butterflies the first pair of legs are small or reduced" "Throughout the family the front pair of legs in the male, and with three exceptions (Libythea, Pseudergolis and Calinaga) in the female also, is reduced in size and functionally impotent; in some the atrophy of the forelegs is considerable, e.g. Danainae and Satyrinae. In many of the forms of these subfamilies the fore legs are kept pressed against the underside of the thorax, and are in the male often very inconspicuous." so now i know. it's been bugging me a while that one.

Return to “Personal Diaries”