July 2011

Discussion forum for sightings.
Lawts

Re: July 2011

Post by Lawts »

Dave McCormick wrote:I was at Copeland Island yesterday (about 18 miles away from Scotland or so) and there is three Islands, Copeland Island, Mew Island and Lighthouse Island (Mew Island has the lighthouse since they moved it from the Lighthouse Island since it wasn't a good place to be seen) the lighthouse is the brightest in the UK. Lighthouse Island has a RSPB bird observatory and someone I know who is part of the RSPB there, sometimes traps on the island and gets some good moths (a few vagrants from Scotland can appear here) see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copeland_Islands

Apparently during the 1700s a slave ship came by here wanting to stock up at the harbour. It had people taken from their homes from the Isle of Skye and were going to be taken to America as slaves. The Harbour master noticed something unusual, called the police and ended up with the slaves returned to their homes on Skye and the boat owners disappeared and were never seen again.

John Paul Jones (the founder of the American Navy, the man from Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland) also had a sea battle near here (Although I don't remember much about it) and the Donaghadee harbour that is a few miles from here where I got the boat from) was built by John Rennie in 1819, the Scottish man who took the London Bridge and rebuilt it in Arizona. Yes I am not just a nature lover, I am also a history buff.

I went to the big island and it has sheep graising on it. It was dry when the boat left but about 5 minutes after we landed, it began to rain. Typical. I didn't bring my Canon 500D since its not working properly but few weeks I'll have a 600D so have to put up with this for a little longer, but I did bring a camera but quality isn't as good.

The island has a school on it (now disused) and a post box when people lived there as there used to be post transported via boats every day. There used to be people living here but now no one does and the only house is a stay for visitors. There is a small graveyard with a few graves and I think from what I saw, a manx shearwater took a rabbit burrow beside a grave and I saw bones, could have been human dug up by rabbits or shearwaters, didn't want to think about it.

Lots of big jellyfish at the edge of the island and coming onto the shore (not sure yet of which type they are) and there was about 20 common seal basking on the rocks beside the island where we docked. What I saw:

A couple of Manx Shearwater (and a dead young one) lots of gulls (some were attacking me, but I didn't realise I walked into a part of the island covered in sedge grasses that had young gulls in nests in the sedges which I couldn't see, I moved away then), a grouse which flew up from the bracken. On the east coast there was eider ducks with young duckings, two families with 3 ducklings each), common seals (about 30, a few on east side, most on west side), quite a number of Arctic terns (which should be leaving soon back to the Antarctic) here. There was some oystercatchers, lapwings and a single stock dove

There is lots of rabbits (which is how manx shearwater do so well here due to number of rabbit burrows they use here) saw quite a number of dead ones although didn't see any birds of prey that are noted to be here, not many trees on the island so maybe they breed elsewhere and just pass here. Also saw a Mediterranean Gull (very like black headed gull but head colour is black and black headed is more brownish, also bill is thicker in Mediterranean and plumage is also lighter grey), Black Guillemots, Cormorants (around 7-10), Swallows (about 6) and a small bird which I have to ID (image below). One thing that is all over parts of the island (which looks really out of place for obvious reasons) is Himalayan Balsam. Thistles cover the island, as does bracken and sedge grasses. There is also areas of yellow iris and bracken covers the east slopes and some other areas. (didn't get to see the north side of the island)

Not much lepidoptera life but here is some images anyway:

Young Gull:
CommonGullYoung.jpg
Arctic Tern:
arctic tern.jpg
Cormorants:
comorants.jpg
Oystercatcher:
oystercatcher.jpg
Common Seals:
seals.jpg
Gulls:
gulls.jpg
Mew Island Lighthouse:
lighthouse.jpg
Is this a reed bunting? I saw several on an elder on east side of the island:
bird.jpg
Yes, Reed Bunting. I also think your Cormorants are Shags.

Edit - should read all posts before replying.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

NickB wrote:Cheers - you wouldn't want to see the other 997.... :lol:
Isn't digital photography wonderful!

Mike
NickB

Post by NickB »

:wink:
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Gibster wrote:Hi Dave,

thanks for the 'virtual tour' of the islands, great bit of history detail in there! Your mystery bird is indeed a Reed Bunting. Only other thing to point out is that your Cormorants are actually Shags. Check the bill shape and head profile for starters.

Cheers mate,

Gibster (notably seeing very little of late, Small Skippers in cop being a highlight today amongst numerous downpours)
Yes your right, thanks, never seen a shag before, so did know what it looked like...oh err that didn't come out right :oops: :) Bit hard to see from that distance so wasn't 100% sure.

I did see some cormorants about a few miles south from the Island at some rocks along with seals (were closer and could see them better), had their wings out getting warmed up. Another three birds I have never seen before yesterday (Shag, Arctic Tern and Reed Bunting).

Thanks anyway Lawts.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
NickB

Post by NickB »

Saw my first Brown Argus this year in the Cemetery yesterday evening! Hooray!
:)
Also, 3 Comma and a Red Admiral basking on west-facing graves, next to each other, in the late evening sun.
It is obvious what they worship!
nick patel

Post by nick patel »

Lawts wrote:
Yes, Reed Bunting. I also think your Cormorants are Shags.

Edit - should read all posts before replying.
yep i agree, defo shags
EricY

Re: July 2011 A hectic week last week!

Post by EricY »

Mon 11/7 warm & sunny. After a morning gardening I visited nearby Ringstead downs 7 walked up & down the Elms for 1.5hrs, no sign of WLH's seen there last year. !00's of Ringlet though several meadow browns 2 red admiral & 6 Comma.
Tues 12/7, having taken the forecast literally I headed west, no luck cold & cloudy with strong wind. Fermyn wood nothing except 1 red Admiral & a few Ringlet. Moved on through the gated road shortcut to Glapthorne cow Pastures. Micro climate warmer where we usually see the BH's & saw first 5/6 Gatekeeper of this year also a very obliging small skipper nectering on ragweed.
small skipper Glapthorne
small skipper Glapthorne
On to Bedford Purlieus, 2 male & 2 Female SWF's, planty of ringlet etc, no WLH's also commented on by another person there. Finally Barnack Hills & holes. Only looked at bottom by trees 15 marbled whites, told 14 Chalk hill blues had been seen but I did not explore the whole site.
Marbled white (?female) Barnack
Marbled white (?female) Barnack
Wed 13/7 poor weather again trip to Chambers farm wood yeilded nothing. Called at RSPB Frampton marsh on way back, very windy but found mating pr small skipper in the grass.
Small Skipper pr Frampton
Small Skipper pr Frampton
Thurs 14/7 had to go west again because of east coast weather. New plce for me at Collyweston quarries, looks ideal site with loads of ancient ant hills but not many bf's, did see a very fresh small copper. On to Barnack again to try for Marbled White undersides. again only the bottom bit by trees searched found 15/20 Marbled white & 30+ Chalk hill blue.
marbled white female underside
marbled white female underside
Chalk Hill blue head on
Chalk Hill blue head on
Chalkhill's also like dung!
Chalkhill's also like dung!
Fri 15/7. Only had the morning available so decide to check out Norfolk's CHB's at Warham camp, called in at Titchwell RSPB first, new west bank has lots thistles ideal for migrating bf's but also had lots of biting flies, as it was early they obviously saw breakfast coming! got badly bitten, so bad that next day & had to lance the blisters!. Warham camp looks to have been heavily over grazed judging by the number of cowpats! dry spring means vegitation is very low. Saw just 1 CHB. Did find a gatekeeper with almost non existant 2nd white spot down by the river & Brown Argus egg laying on stunted rock rose.
Gatekeeper small white 2nd spot
Gatekeeper small white 2nd spot
Brown Argus egg laying
Brown Argus egg laying
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

EricY wrote:Marbled white (?female) Barnack
Yes.

The yellow tinge to the leading edge of the forewing along with the abdominal shape being the determining factors.

Kind regards. Mark
Hugh Middleton

Post by Hugh Middleton »

Eric - sorry you had a fruitless trip to Chambers. It is one of my local patches and has had reasonable numbers of Marbled Whites recently as well as a few White Admirals. White Letter Hairsreak and a Black reported. Purples should be out but over several visits I have still to spot them this year.

If you are over this way get in touch as there are a couple of sites near to Chambers which can be good.

Tried for the Chalkhills a while back when I was on holiday in Norfolk so will be interested to hear if sightings increase at Warham.

Best wishes,

Hugh
Lawts

Re: July 2011 A hectic week last week!

Post by Lawts »

EricY wrote:Mon 11/7 warm & sunny. After a morning gardening I visited nearby Ringstead downs 7 walked up & down the Elms for 1.5hrs, no sign of WLH's seen there last year. !00's of Ringlet though several meadow browns 2 red admiral & 6 Comma.
Tues 12/7, having taken the forecast literally I headed west, no luck cold & cloudy with strong wind. Fermyn wood nothing except 1 red Admiral & a few Ringlet. Moved on through the gated road shortcut to Glapthorne cow Pastures. Micro climate warmer where we usually see the BH's & saw first 5/6 Gatekeeper of this year also a very obliging small skipper nectering on ragweed.
dl 12 07 11 Sony H50 009 Small Skipper.jpg
On to Bedford Purlieus, 2 male & 2 Female SWF's, planty of ringlet etc, no WLH's also commented on by another person there. Finally Barnack Hills & holes. Only looked at bottom by trees 15 marbled whites, told 14 Chalk hill blues had been seen but I did not explore the whole site.
dl 12 07 11 Sony H50 060 Marbled White.jpg
Wed 13/7 poor weather again trip to Chambers farm wood yeilded nothing. Called at RSPB Frampton marsh on way back, very windy but found mating pr small skipper in the grass.
dl 13 07 11 Sony H50 009 small skip mating pr.jpg
Thurs 14/7 had to go west again because of east coast weather. New plce for me at Collyweston quarries, looks ideal site with loads of ancient ant hills but not many bf's, did see a very fresh small copper. On to Barnack again to try for Marbled White undersides. again only the bottom bit by trees searched found 15/20 Marbled white & 30+ Chalk hill blue.
dl 14 07 11 Sony H50 058 marbled white F underside.jpg
dl 14 07 11 Sony H50 019 chalkhill blue head on.jpg
dl 14 07 11 Sony H50 037 chalkhill blue on dung.jpg
Fri 15/7. Only had the morning available so decide to check out Norfolk's CHB's at Warham camp, called in at Titchwell RSPB first, new west bank has lots thistles ideal for migrating bf's but also had lots of biting flies, as it was early they obviously saw breakfast coming! got badly bitten, so bad that next day & had to lance the blisters!. Warham camp looks to have been heavily over grazed judging by the number of cowpats! dry spring means vegitation is very low. Saw just 1 CHB. Did find a gatekeeper with almost non existant 2nd white spot down by the river & Brown Argus egg laying on stunted rock rose.
dl 15 07 11 Sony H50 017 Gatekeeper small 2nd white spot.jpg
dl 15 07 11 Sony H50 029 Brown Argus egg laying.jpg
Just going on a single photo, which I know can be dangerous, but I wondered if your third photo. could be an Essex?
Hugh Middleton

Post by Hugh Middleton »

A fantastic morning in the Lincolnshire Limewoods this morning before heavy thunderstorms put an end to play :(

A Silver Washed Fritillary was the highlight. These are extremely scarce in these parts.
8 White Admirals.
Lots of Red Admiral, Small Skippers, Peacocks and Whites.
At another location 8 Brown Argus.
Also my first Painted Lady of the year
Well chuffed :D

Hugh
GOLDENORFE

Post by GOLDENORFE »

arnside knott this morning before the torrential rain!!!!

6 high brown fritts , 1 painted lady,3 d green fritts numerous grayling and the first scotch argus, 4 newly emerged

phil

EricY

Post by EricY »

Weather here gorgrous compared to yesterdays poor forecast for this area today. Dashed out as soon as I could in bright sunshine to our 2nd local site for Purple Hairstreaks, spent a couple of hours watching a dozen in the oak beside the public path through Ken Hill wood. Also 4 Red Admirals & 3 Commas. Moved on to Holme dunes, rain has produced some flowers now compared to 10 days ago. several small heath, brown argus, skippers, meadow brown & gatekeeper.
PH high in oak, long shot with tc attached
PH high in oak, long shot with tc attached
Purple Hairstreak wings open
Purple Hairstreak wings open
Mark thanks for confirmation on Fem Marb white

Hugh, I have heard today 10/12 CHB's were seen at Warham this morning. I think Barnack H&H is doable in a day trip from your area for CHB's. A15 towards P'borough turn right on A16 @ Market deeping & 3rd left to Barnack, just a thought. Hope to have another crack @ Chambers for Brown H's & also try to see scotch argus @ Lindrick if they are still there. Eric
admiral halsey

Post by admiral halsey »

Plotlands, Basildon. 1 Ringlet, 5 Small White, 4 Gatekeeper and 5 Brown Argus (difficult to sex!)

Rich
Brown Argus crop.jpg
There is a fine line between uninhibited and asleep
millerd

Post by millerd »

That one at least is a male - the abdomen is long (to the edge of the wing border) and the orange lunules on the forewing fade out before the tip. I generally use this as a rule of thumb: seems to work so far.

Dave
admiral halsey

Post by admiral halsey »

millerd wrote:That one at least is a male - the abdomen is long (to the edge of the wing border) and the orange lunules on the forewing fade out before the tip. I generally use this as a rule of thumb: seems to work so far.

Dave
Thanks Dave

Rich
NickB

Post by NickB »

Essex Skippers...
Essex_Skipper_pair_3_low_MRC_July_2011.jpg
Essex_Skipper_pair_4_low_MRC_July_2011.jpg
:)
admiral halsey

Post by admiral halsey »

Langdon Hills, Basildon. Saw my first Purple hairstreak today :D

Rich
Purple Hairstreak Male Langdon 20 July 2011 (14).JPGcrop.jpg
NickB

Post by NickB »

First Common Blue of the year in the Cemetery.... :D
CB_m_2_low_MRC_22nd_July_2011.jpg
and a Peacock...
Peacock_1_low_MRC_22nd_July_2011.jpg
N
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Hi Nick,

Nice to see a peacock photo, they are as scare as hens teeth this year here, never seen such a bad year. Don't remember seeing any this year at al, which is unusual as I usually at least see a few.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro

Return to “Sightings”