Early for Small Skippers?

Discussion forum for sightings.
IAC

Early for Small Skippers?

Post by IAC »

Over the last week I have been frustrated by the cool weather on the South East Scottish coast, mostly looking for Small Copper and Small Blue, however I was rewarded on Monday past with a beautifull summers day and my first spot of the elusive Small Skipper. Did not really expect to see these guys till July.Previous records are very thin for SE Scotland, they are fairly new here. Last year I recorded my first ever sightings of around 6 individuals, occupying a small area of grassland bordering a field. Interested in anyone with any info at all on the [early, bang on time, late, question.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Well, you have seen them earlier than I have down here in Somerset.
IAC

Post by IAC »

Thanks for reply Matsukaze... the weather has a lot to do with this I think, the long grasses are twice the density and height of last years growth, everything here seems to be way ahead...I was seeing Orange Tip first week in April as well as Commas ,these blighters dont usually appear till first week May. The difficulty these Skippers will face is feeding, hardly any flowering plants around just now that seem to be suitable. No sign of any today very wet very cold....again.
eccles

Post by eccles »

Only large skippers seen around Bristol so far, but it's a very good year for them.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Mostly I find the golden skippers nectaring on thistles, and these are only just coming into flower here. Still only Large Skippers to date, though there seem to be quite good numbers of them.
IAC

Post by IAC »

I am having all sorts of trouble tracking down any hardcore evidence of Small Skippers after my initial early sighting post......I have since had to fully review the situation. Replies by Matsukaze and eccles, got me scrambling for last years photos...checked and double checked...result still Small Skipper, I then managed to photograph one last week( identification post....Pete's went with Small Skipper...so I was convinced that was an end to the matter.......after todays discovery I may have to scrap the early Small Skipper claim.Behold.......................
Please anyone tell me ....this is a Large Skipper??.... not Small...comparing the photos I took in July of genuine Small Skippers last year I myself have deduced that the Small variety are still awaiting a true appearance next month............on the plus side I had no idea that we had Large Skippers around here its a new one for me.. very happy with the photo too!!!! Hopefully this case is closed.

Thanks for your replies guys... not everything is as it seems......IAC
eccles

Post by eccles »

Yep, the wing pattern and the hooked antennae mean it's large skipper. The black scent lines mean it's a male.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

First Small/Essex Skipper yesterday, chances are it was the former but it did not stay around long enough to be identified.
Gwenhwyfar
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Gwenhwyfar »

Spotted this Small Skipper on Sunday at Bentley Wood.

IAC

Post by IAC »

Thanks for the ID pointers Eccles much appreciated, you can read all the books in the world on any particular subject, but there is no substitute for first hand experience, I wont be making mistakes so easily again as far as Skippers are concerned.
Thankyou Matsukaze, for this Small Skipper update, from your area, I am TOTALLY sure we dont have Essex Skippers here, but these days ,you can never be sure. There are so many more species of Butterfly making there way north ,eg Small Skipper- Wall Brown- Gatekeeper-Holly Blue sightings increase,Commas are setting up territory in spring, unheard of 2-3 years back, so I guess its a very exciting time for Butterflies, you just never know.
Thankyou Gwenhwyfar for your reply , I must concede your photo of the Small Skipper is better than my Large , this will however spur me on to better any of my previous efforts. Skippers are great fun to photograph, I think they must be the personalities of the Butterfly World, buzzing around at lightning pace, like little gold jetfighters,they are just barmy.
Gwenhyfar I would be very interested to know what camera you are using, it has done a very nice job here , I personally use a Canon 350d with a 110 mm Sigma macro.
Thankyou................IAC...............small skipper from last year...not as good as yours Gwenhwyfar!!!

[/img]
Gwenhwyfar
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Gwenhwyfar »

Many thanks IAC for the coments about the Small Skipper.

The camera I use is the old Canon 10d, but managed to save up for the cracking Sigma 150 Macro lens.

Return to “Sightings”