ronniethepoo

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
ronniethepoo

Re: ronniethepoo

Post by ronniethepoo »

Michaeljf wrote:
ronniethepoo wrote: I do think I'd have to take a lot of hit-and-miss shots before getting an DSLR photo that improves on yours.

Michael
Michael
my technique i hugely hit and miss - the main thing is to have loads of butties and to keep shooting - it is really a chance game the way I play it
I have looked to try and find my picture data, but cant find it once on the computer - can anyone help?
one thing i have noticed is that some of the nicer shots are slightly underexposed - which i think is a function of picture aesthetics,(it shows up the irridescence better) and the fact that I am probably squeezing a bit extra out of the exposure, be it speed or narrower aperture
your comment about exilim stills got me thinking - and I'm even more confused now
look at the pic (1/2000) that preceded the blurred flying blue - not DSLR quality but OK - if I could get this clarity on my flight shots, I would be happy - but I cant
and this was taken at a (slow) flight exposure! - so I cant blame my picture quaity on that
my only other thought here is that when they are flying, they are very much 3 dimensional, whereas we tend to take still shots either open winged or closed wings - in which case the whole butterfly is mostly perpendicular to the point of aim
and easier to get more of the object within the depth of field
do get shooting with your exilim - it is great fun, and would be good to compare notes
and do try the "pre-focus mating butterfly technique" with your DSLR - I would love to see what can be achieved
Attachments
preflight.jpg

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Michaeljf

Re: ronniethepoo

Post by Michaeljf »

ronniethepoo wrote:my only other thought here is that when they are flying, they are very much 3 dimensional, whereas we tend to take still shots either open winged or closed wings - in which case the whole butterfly is mostly perpendicular to the point of aim and easier to get more of the object within the depth of field
Hi Ronniethepoo (can we have something shorter to name you?!) :wink:
I've no doubt you're right - this is part of the reason why it is easier to get a butterfly in good focus across the wings if their wings are open and you are looking straight at the butterfly - the wings are all in the same 'plane of view'. The other problem is that once the butterflies are flying they are often going in and out of a very small plane of focus. I would agree about better shots being underexposed - of which you are more likely to do when shooting at fast speeds. This also depends on the camera - not all cameras give the same results, even if you are using the same make. I have a Canon 50D and a Canon 7D and the Canon 7 D needs to be set at one stop underexposed as standard, the 50D at 'normal' light levels. As soon as I'm photographing a dark butterfly I normally stop down again unless the butterfly is on very light ground, in which case the camera will always 'underexpose' more on it's semi-manual settings (i.e. automatic or 'program' mode). This is part of the reason why folks sometimes get better butterfly shots when the butterfly is on stony ground etc, because the camera is automatically shooting more 'underexposed' than normal.

Regarding the Exilim details after taking the shot, put your mouse over an uploaded photograph, right click on the mouse and you will see 'Properties' - this will have three options - General / Security / Details - and under the 'details' tag you should have the shooting information (you may have to scroll down) .

Michael

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.

Return to “Personal Diaries”