Wall Butterfly at Crickley Hill

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
andy brown

Wall Butterfly at Crickley Hill

Post by andy brown »

Morning All,

Just have a quick request! Of to Cheltenham for the weekend this week and was wondering about Crickley Hill for the “Wall” if they are out and is it a good site for them?

Thanks in advance Andy
legless2007

Re: Wall Butterfly at Crickley Hill

Post by legless2007 »

there's a butterfly conservation trip there for Walls on the 24th so I should think it is a good site. Not been myself yet. I'm off to Fermyn Woods this weekend.
Glostopcat

Post by Glostopcat »

Leckhampton Hill and Charlton Kings Common just a couple of miles away is also a good place to see Wall Browns, don't know if there are any around at the moment though
andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Thanks Guys, of this morning after the Cooker repair man has been, weather looks a bit more promising now for the next few days in the area and will also try prestbury hill as we are stayning right by there, Will post if i get some decent pics.

Cheers
Andy
legless2007

Post by legless2007 »

If you have an OS map and you are around Prestbury Hill then there is a footpath up Harp Hill and around the Glenfall Estate that is usually pretty productive. Beautiful meadows surrounded by woodland and some good hedgerows. I hope the weather is ok for you.
Glostopcat

Post by Glostopcat »

I visited Leckhampton Hill late this afternoon and there was no sign of any wall browns or any chalkhill blues either, I doubt they will be present at Crickley Hill which is only a couple of miles from there. I saw a number of small skippers, ringlets, marbled whites and green veined whites and a few meadow browns, speckled woods, commas, small heaths, two silver washed fritillaries and a solitary peacock. At the moment there are a number of Dark Green fritillaries, marbled whites, small skippers, ringlets and meadow browns at the Prestbury Hill site. If you have time at the weekend and the weather is reasonable it may also be worth visiting Rodborough Common near Stroud or Panswick Beacon and Edge or Cranham Common which are just off the A46 on the way to Stroud travelling from Cheltenham
andy brown

Post by andy brown »

thanks for that Glostopcat, however it was last weekend that we were there and no joy unfortunatelly, also could not find Gayling at Prestbury :( will have to time things better next time. Was great scenary though. allthough came home early on Saturday as the weather was so bad.

Thanks again for all your help

Cheers

Andy

Return to “Sites”