Strange White Admiral

Lawts

Strange White Admiral

Post by Lawts »

I saw a strange WA at Snitterfield Bushes near Stratford this week - the upperwings appeared to have the white markings along the base, but they seemed to be closer to the wing edge than normal, and the remainder of the wing appeared the usual dark brown - is this "obliterate"

Quite striking - on first glance it reminded me of Camberwell Beauty.
Piers

Re: Strange White Admiral

Post by Piers »

Hi Lawts, have a look on the species pages here, there are some photographs of obliterae and other stuff.

Piers.
jenny1

Post by jenny1 »

I've just joined and didn't know if I should post for seeming silly. I thought I saw a Camberwell Beauty near Goldalming Surrey last weekend.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Lawts wrote:I saw a strange WA at Snitterfield Bushes near Stratford this week - the upperwings appeared to have the white markings along the base, but they seemed to be closer to the wing edge than normal, and the remainder of the wing appeared the usual dark brown - is this "obliterate"

Hi Lawts,

Which side of the reserve did you spot this, North or South of the road? I may be trundling over to Snitterfield this weekend.

Cheers,

Neil.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Welcome to the site Jenny1. I am reasonably close to Godalming - where did you see the butterfly. Not too many years ago - about 10 - a friend of mine used to see Camberwell Beauty in her garden near Chiddingfold fairly regularly.
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Pauline wrote:Not too many years ago - about 10 - a friend of mine used to see Camberwell Beauty in her garden near Chiddingfold fairly regularly.
Blimey, that's a bit galling. Just for the record, if anybody (in UK, sorry Guy) has a regular Camberwell Beauty in their garden could you please PM me :wink:
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

nfreem wrote:
Lawts wrote:I saw a strange WA at Snitterfield Bushes near Stratford this week - the upperwings appeared to have the white markings along the base, but they seemed to be closer to the wing edge than normal, and the remainder of the wing appeared the usual dark brown - is this "obliterate"

Hi Lawts,

Which side of the reserve did you spot this, North or South of the road? I may be trundling over to Snitterfield this weekend.

Cheers,

Neil.
North side of the road - also silver-washed Fritillary - both about 100 yards from the road where the path bends to the left.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Lawts,

I know the spot you describe.

I am hoping to pop over to Snitterfield later, family duties permitting :wink:
Warwickshire BC have a walk there this afternoon meeting at 13.00.

Cheers,

Neil
jenny1

Post by jenny1 »

Pauline wrote:Welcome to the site Jenny1. I am reasonably close to Godalming - where did you see the butterfly. Not too many years ago - about 10 - a friend of mine used to see Camberwell Beauty in her garden near Chiddingfold fairly regularly.
Thank you for the welcome.
It was in Winkworth Arboretum, just disappearing over the trees. I thought it was a little earlier to see one, but can't think of anything else it could have been

Return to “General”