Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

This is just a thought,as discussed with Lee Hurrell this morning at Oaken Wood.I noticed yesterday that Piers had replaced his avatar with a delightful photo of himself.I thought "How helpful" as now I might recognize him if I meet him in the field, as I think I have done,and also it will act as an aide-memoir-to remembering people's names.I have often thought members ought to go around with a name label,but this seems more sensible,rather than hiding behind some sign of anonimity.So ,I quickly changed mine to a recent photo,and hopefully I will not be continually asked for my name.Thank you Piers!
P.J.U.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Avatars

Post by Pete Eeles »

:D I believe that Piers is a big fan of Wagner (the German composer, not the X Factor wannabe, although he may like him too :lol: ); hence the avatar!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Piers

Post by Piers »

You flatter me P.J.U. Aaah, to be compared to the sublime genius that was (is) Richard Wagner! The reality is that I am not fit to gather up the crumbs from under his table. Sadly I look far more stooped, gnarled, and care-worn than the dashing prince in my avatar.

Somewhere we once had a 'Rogues Gallery' thread where people who were brave enough to do so posted photographs of themselves as we may meet them in the field. It was in the 'General' section (although perhaps 'Identification' would have been more appropriate). Naturally, no one looked anything like anyone else imagined that they would (and one was a terrible shock :shock: ).

Aaah, here is a link; click on Gosh, what a handsome chap

Here, perhaps, is the opportunity for all those newer members of the community who wish to make their faces known to do so (and perhaps an updated photograph for those of us who are older/wiser/slimmer/more silver/less hirsuit, etc..)

Piers.
Susie

Post by Susie »

I look nothing like my avatar, unless I going out somewhere special :lol:
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

P.J.Underwood wrote:This is just a thought,as discussed with Lee Hurrell this morning at Oaken Wood.I noticed yesterday that Piers had replaced his avatar with a delightful photo of himself.I thought "How helpful" as now I might recognize him if I meet him in the field, as I think I have done,and also it will act as an aide-memoir-to remembering people's names.I have often thought members ought to go around with a name label,but this seems more sensible,rather than hiding behind some sign of anonimity.So ,I quickly changed mine to a recent photo,and hopefully I will not be continually asked for my name.Thank you Piers!
P.J.U.
Lovely to meet you this morning PJU!

I have just got in and had clocked Pier's avatar before reading your post and having seen a picture of Piers, although not having met him, I realised it wasn't him. I couldn't have told you it was Wagbo though (Sorry Piers).

But I do like the rogue's gallery - I might have to put myself on there I guess!

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Susie

Post by Susie »

You should do that, Lee.

And Piers does himself a dis-service, he is far better looking than he gives himself credit for.
Piers

Post by Piers »

Lee Hurrell wrote:I couldn't have told you it was Wagbo though.
:o oh my dear lord! :cry:
Lee Hurrell wrote:But I do like the rogue's gallery - I might have to put myself on there I guess!
and not before time Hurrell. :D
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Sorry,I feel it would be such a good service if we could recognize each other as the butterfly fraternity is so small and friendly.Susie is just like her avatar and cannot be mistaken!
P.J.U.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Lol. When I'm not looking rough :wink: :lol: Mind you, when I was out last Sunday when I saw Lee and Kipper I really did look rough, with all that humidity I looked like I'd put my finger in a plug socket by the time I got home! :shock:

Anyway, P.J., I agree that more forum members should put their photos up as avatars. I like yours, it's a good likeness.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I like the idea of being able to recognise people that are on the forums as I'm a relative newbie...if only I could actually work out how to set up my own avatar?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Susie

Post by Susie »

From a 'recognising people in the field' point of view the mugshot thread is probably a better idea. The avatars on here are pretty small.

There are some great new avatars though!
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Piers wrote:
Lee Hurrell wrote:I couldn't have told you it was Wagbo though.
:o oh my dear lord! :cry:
Gotta love Harry Hill :D
Piers wrote:
Lee Hurrell wrote:But I do like the rogue's gallery - I might have to put myself on there I guess!
and not before time Hurrell. :D
Susie wrote:You should do that, Lee.
Hmmm, then I shall have to find a photo......

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.

Return to “General”