Paper lures

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
MikeOxon

Paper lures

Post by MikeOxon »

I've just read the following in a Wikipedia article (about Poplar Admiral):

quote "An incommon method has been used to attrack the butterfly in putting to the end of a pole a representation in paper of the butterfly. Walking this lure, several butterflies came to see this "colleague", including a female. This is a similar metod experimented recently by Jamie Weir on a common butterfly."

I wondered whether anyone has tried this method for attracting, say, Purple Emperor?

Mike
millerd

Re: Paper lures

Post by millerd »

Victorian collectors used to use bright orange-brown paper lures to attract Fritillaries.

Dave
chris JP

Post by chris JP »

How about chemical lures for butterflies, after all, they're common enough for moths (beer/wine/molasses etc), but apart from decayed fruit and dog poo, are there any chemical attractants?

Chris
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Mmmm... Now there's a new twist to the phrase "Pooh-sticks" :lol:

Trev
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I believe that so far as possible we should be pure observers and recorders, with minimum interference in the lives of the creatures were observe and record. To lure a butterfly with a paper simulacrum is to deceive it into unproductive behaviour, whether aggressive or romantic. I would never consider doing that no matter how much I wanted to see a species.

Leaving a food bait is better (though unnecessary) because the resultant behaviour is at least productive (the insect gets the nutrients).

Best of all is good fieldcraft, patience and a little luck. I don't think anything more is needed! :D

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Mark Senior

Post by Mark Senior »

Quite by accident I have found that the Silver Washed Frits of Southwater will swoop down and investigate me when carrying an orange Sainsbury's shopping bag and only last Monday a Purple Emperor glid ( or is it glided ) past me to investigate my mauve coloured shirt .
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

millerd wrote:Victorian collectors used to use bright orange-brown paper lures to attract Fritillaries.

Dave
They also used to use dead specimens pinned to their hats...or so I've read somewhere!

Lovely to meet you today Dave :D

Mark, Commas will also fly to orange although they seem a very inquisitive butterfly to me anyway.

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

padfield wrote: Leaving a food bait is better (though unnecessary) because the resultant behaviour is at least productive
Perhaps soaking a paper lure in sugar solution could address this concern?
Mike
Susie

Post by Susie »

MikeOxon wrote:
padfield wrote: Leaving a food bait is better (though unnecessary) because the resultant behaviour is at least productive
Perhaps soaking a paper lure in sugar solution could address this concern?
Mike
Probably end up a tad soggy though.

I am not as ethical as Guy so am going to give this a go tomorrow. If Matthew Oates can wear a blue or purple ribbon round his hat that's good by me!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Not wishing to offend anyone and in the spirit of "each to their own" I still feel that I have to agree with Padfield on this. Using lures is just as bad as tape luring brids - basically they're wasting energy that they could better spend finding mates and ensuring their genes are passed on to offspring so that we can enjoy them for years to come...also witnessing tape luring of birds made me feel awkward when said bird arrived expecting a romantic dalliance! :oops: but also like I was cheating...should I tick that bird or not? You may as well go to the zoo/butterfly farm.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Quite right, Susie - I am a very, very ethical person! :D

I didn't mean to sound all self-righteous - apologies if I did! As Wurzel says, each to his own. But deep inside me, I don't like the idea of playing with creatures in this way - I like to watch them going about their business in their own way, and wait with hushed breath to see if they will land near me, rather than entice them in with paper promises!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Susie

Post by Susie »

You're a better man than I am, Guy! :lol:
Susie

Post by Susie »

Well I safety pinned a great big silver washed fritillary and a purple emperor (not real ones :wink: ) to my back pack today, wore purple, put pictures on my car and put down bait ... and got bugger all to show for it! :lol:
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

From your other posts, Susie, it seems that you had a good day and you have remained ethically pure!!!
Mike
Susie

Post by Susie »

Story of my life :wink:

Return to “General”