june 2011

Discussion forum for sightings.
Willrow

Re: june 2011

Post by Willrow »

Hi Michael,

Glad you managed at least a little time at Alun yesterday evening, things are starting to happen there now. We shall have to see what can be arranged for a weekend meet at this wonderful location.

David,

Your spot on, numbers are certainly on the up. We have still got time on our side, all we need is the right weather front coming in, preferably to stay for the rest of the summer 8) hope one of you guys can arrange to bring a bit back from your holidays with you :)

Thanks for your input.

Bill :D
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
EricY

Re: june 2011 Silver-studded blues Kelling heath Norfolk

Post by EricY »

made an early start & arr on site 8.30am, only 2/3 flying then. Soon warmed up & saw at least 2 doz, they have now spread over the site & across the road to near car park. A few photos i/c mating pr M with wings open. Eric
Male
Male
Male
Male
dl 15b 06 11 Sony H50 008 SSblue M.jpg
Male underside
Male underside
Female SSblue
Female SSblue
Female SSblue underside
Female SSblue underside
Sorry I seem to have loaded the mating pic twice & do not know how to delete 2nd one
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Hi Eric,
If you click on "edit", you should be able to see the original version in the white box...
You should see that there are 2 lines of code which are the same, so just delete one or other of those and re-submit. That should work - I've done the same thing myself (more than once!) :roll:

Trev
millerd

Post by millerd »

A Surrey assortment from yesterday:

Botany Bay to start with, where there were numerous Silver-washed Fritillaries and White Admirals - but as yet no Imperial Purple (though one was seen at Oaken Wood), or indeed Ringlets. A couple of Wood Whites were hanging on, just about.

Part two was Denbies again, where the Dark Green Fritilaries were whizzing and swooping across the meadow below the car park along with many dozens of Meadow Browns - the latter clearly recovered from last year's dip in numbers, hereabouts at least. One DGF had found its way into Marbled White territory on the main slopes, where the latter was out in abundance now along with many Small Heaths. One or two female Adonis and Common Blues hung on, and a solitary Brown Argus, but as yet no Chalkhills had put in an appearance. Can't be long...

Finally, a quick dash in and out at Fairmile Common, where Silver-studded Blues were everywhere, but they were mostly looking a little worn and tired. No other species there at all.

Dave
Attachments
SWF(m): Botany Bay
SWF(m): Botany Bay
SWF(f): Botany Bay
SWF(f): Botany Bay
White Admiral: Botany Bay
White Admiral: Botany Bay
Wood White: Botany Bay
Wood White: Botany Bay
DGF: Denbies
DGF: Denbies
Marbled White: Denbies
Marbled White: Denbies
SSB(m): Fairmile Common
SSB(m): Fairmile Common
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Excellent assortment of species Dave, complimented by some smashing images. Thanks for sharing them with us.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, Bill. I'm glad you liked them.

Pity the driving involved in touring Surrey is not terribly environment-friendly! But I do feel lucky to live within 45 minutes of all these very different locations (and some other good spots as well), and the associated variety of species.

Dave
Lawts

Re: june 2011 Silver-studded blues Kelling heath Norfolk

Post by Lawts »

EricY wrote:made an early start & arr on site 8.30am, only 2/3 flying then. Soon warmed up & saw at least 2 doz, they have now spread over the site & across the road to near car park. A few photos i/c mating pr M with wings open. Eric
dl 15a 06 11 Sony H50 025 SSblue mating pr M wings open.jpg
dl 15a 06 11 Sony H50 025 SSblue mating pr M wings open.jpg
dl 15b 06 11 Sony H50 008 SSblue M.jpg
dl 15a 06 11 Sony H50 015 SSblue M underside.jpg
dl 15b 06 11 Sony H50 002 SSblue F wings open.jpg
dl 15b 06 11 Sony H50 012 SSblue F underside.jpg
Sorry I seem to have loaded the mating pic twice & do not know how to delete 2nd one
Was hoping to get these first week in July - do you think they will still be flying?
admiral halsey

Post by admiral halsey »

Despite the cloud and rain, a short walk in Willow park, Basildon, yielded 20-30 large Skippers,1 Burnet companion, 2 Speckled wood, 2 unidentifed white, around a dozen Meadow Brown, and the one below which I'm undecided about. Thought it might be a Heath, but none of my sources confirm.

Rich
poss heath helicopter park 18 june 2011.jpg2.jpg
There is a fine line between uninhibited and asleep
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Hi Rich,
That's another Meadow Brown... Once they tuck their top wings down, the eyespot is not visible and that often throws people. :wink:

Trev
admiral halsey

Post by admiral halsey »

Thanks Trev.

Rich
There is a fine line between uninhibited and asleep
David M

Post by David M »

One of the things I love about butterflying is that the insects themselves have a habit of confounding your predictions.

After a grim morning in S. Wales, I decided to take a quick trip to the Alun Valley at 2pm to observe the High Brown Fritillaries. This time I followed Michaeljf's preferred route, which is something I'd never done before. Sure enough, as he has explained, getting up onto the higher slopes on the southern side from the Wick Road end is quite a slog (particularly given the fact that the rain last night and this morning had made the going treacherous in places).

With the wind still blustery, it didn't surprise me that all I saw were two Speckled Woods and a single Dark Green Fritillary.

I reassured myself that such extreme weather conditions would see even more than usual numbers of Fritillaries in the sheltered butterfly meadow, and when I arrived, Michael and his wife, Karen, were in this area themselves having already devoted a fair part of their day to searching for the HBFs.

Although the sun came out and temperatures hovered around 16C, the few Fritillaries in the meadow (all Dark Greens) simply couldn't take nectar such was the strength of the wind even in this sheltered spot. Several tried, but were buffeted so intensely that they gave up, instead hunkering down in the bracken, where we disturbed a few more when we made our way through.

So, even these abnormally strong flying species clearly struggle to cope in blustery conditions, and after a couple of hours I decided to make my way back to the car. Bizarrely, the first Fritillary I saw on the upper slopes was a High Brown which I had disturbed and had realighted on the ground in the shelter of the bracken. Another handful were seen (all DGFs) and I also spotted my first Ringlet of 2011, but all in all things were a little disappointing. The moral of the story would seem to be to avoid at all cost windy conditions if visiting this site. DG and HB frits WILL fly in overcast conditions but they hate strong winds.
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Saturday 18th June 2011 – back to Ewenny

Just to add a few comments to David’s report – we got down to Ewenny about 1.30pm, after the heavy showers in South Wales of the morning had passed. As soon as I was in the main reserve I saw some Small Pearl-Bordered Fritillaries and 4 Large Skippers and my first Meadow Brown (in Wales) for the year. Since last week a lot more of the Bramble flowers and even some of the Rosebay Willow-herb flowers were now in bloom. Walking above the main reserve past the crop field I again saw several Dark Green Fritillaries, but there was already quite a breeze blowing and once disturbed from the path they would often fly into the crop field. I also saw a very pretty small adder.

As the breeze got harder, we thought we’d see if we could find the Butterfly meadow David mentioned last week, so we took a path down from the main path (where we’d walked to the previous week), and low and behold, after about 5 minutes walking down (what was now a very wet and muddy) path, I was pleased to find the previously described meadow (I recognised it from David’s photo). This really is a great spot – and unlike the other paths - very nice and flat (!) and with plenty of ‘flying paths’ and plenty of thistles in the middle. By coincidence David soon turned up, and we then watched several Dark Green Fritillaries arrive and then move quickly off. There were plenty of very new-looking Small Tortoiseshells taking nectar from the thistles. After an hour or so David showed us where the path continued to a possible Hairstreak site along a very pretty moss-covered path along the dry river bed. However - by now the wind had really picked up.

We said our goodbyes and David left for home: I stayed with my wife in the Butterfly meadow for about another 30 minutes, and saw a High Brown Fritillary briefly and another unidentified Fritillary stay on the Bracken. I also watched a lovely Red Admiral for a while on the dry bracken path, but we soon returned home: the weather had ended up being sunny and warm enough for the butterflies, but unfortunately the wind really stopped the High Browns from appearing in numbers. I might have to wait until I come back from holiday for this species!

Michael

Meadow Brown resting on the grass at Ewenny.

The butterfly meadow - a lot flatter than the other walks, but well concealed in the woods.

Plenty of lovely Small Tortoiseshells flying along the cleared paths.

An unconfirmed Fritillary. Not entirely sure if it's a DGF or HBF.

Red Admiral resting out of the wind.

An easy to ID Dark Green Fritilary.
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Hi David and Michael,

Sorry to hear about those winds, little is more frustrating :roll: even when the rain eases up the winds start...take heart - your both heading for sunnier climes shortly!!! The High Brown Frit's will be waiting for you when you get back home all tanned and re-charged 8)

EricY

Re: june 2011Large Heath @ Crowle moor

Post by EricY »

Yesterday 17th I managed to dash over to Crowle moor taking time out from a Sheffield visit to see grandchildren. Easy on the Mways & off @ junc 2 M180. Crowle was larger than I expected with lots of tiny narrow streets. The brown/white little duck signs for the nature reserve led me through the streets untill I wondered where I was going. Out on to flat Fenland type landscape on a bumpy road, turn right following the signs to an even more bumpy tarmac rd, this ran out to a very bumpy unmettaled track that got narrower & bumpier when it entered the trees. Finally just as I was thinking how do I get out of here, a little parking area with a notice board saying it was the Crowle Moor North nature res appeared. I followed the main track in cloudy windy conditions & saw a couple of LH's who did not stay for pics, had wander in the cotton grass to left & saw 2 more, no pics again. Decide to go back to track & walk further down. Down by the 3rd gate from the c/p it was more sheltered by the trees & several Lh's were nectering on bugle & dandelion etc. through that 3rd gate the path turned sharp left with lots of short white clover in bloom, here there were lots of LH's about & I finally got a reasonable photo (attached). Also around were 100's of large skippers & on the way back saw my first Ringlet of the year who opened his wings for me, unfortunately i did not nail the focus but will attach it anyway. Eric
dl 18 06 11 Sony H50 025 Ringlet wings open.jpg
dl 18 06 11 Sony H50 019 Large Heath C moor.jpg
jenks

Post by jenks »

An unconfirmed Fritillary. Not entirely sure if it's a DGF or HBF.
Hi Michael,

I would say DGF, judging by the rounded forewings, but I stand to be corrected.

I had planned to go to Old Castle Downs this afternoon (working this morning ) but decided against it as I thought it was too windy. Shame I missed meeting you and David. The weather forecast is better for tomorrow so I hope to go then. Hope you`re lucky at Collard Hill -- I was there on 9 June when I saw 4 LB`s so numbers should be almost at a peak now.

Jenks
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Hi Jenks,
you're probably right, I'm really not sure, and I definitely saw one HBF in the same area about 10 minutes later. With the HBF I don't think the females wing shapes are as concave as the males, plus I was looking at the third spot / line on the upper forewing. However, as I didn't see the underside I'm really not convinced either way. I'll be off elsewhere today - not sure I can cope with Collard Hill if it's an 'open day' :| , but I'm Ewenny-ied out, so I hope to catch up with you at a later date!!
Michael
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Michael,
Nice Ewenny report - the 'Butterfly Meadow' looks like a good place to spend a few hours and lose a few pounds in the pursuit of fritillaries. It looks like you'll be returning after your hols for HBF images though; Jenks is right, that one is a definite DGF. Happy holiday.
Neil
Essex Bertie

Post by Essex Bertie »

Saturday 18th June
With 2 English 'lifers' left on the list, Large Heath and Large Blue, I put my trust in the weathermen and headed west hoping to get some decent overcast shots and to try and limit my carbon footprint! Arrived in Shropshire to heavy rain so just had a look around Prees Heath at the heathland restoration work. The gamble paid off at Whixall Moss with a mix of blustery showers and sunshine bringing out 22 Large Heath, with several photo opportunities. The conditions certainly suited my image of the landscape. Also got my first Ringlets of the year on the walk up.
Then headed south on the M5 to gruesome scenes over the Malverns. Couldn't manage Collard Hill, so called in at Daneway Banks near Cirencester and was lucky to get a lot of afternoon sunshine, the slopes were fairly sheltered too. I had phoned the warden beforehand and 2 Large Blue had been seen on Thursday and he seemed confident that they had 'turned the corner', there looked to be a good grazing regime in place but with longer grass patches and the bottom of the slopes. Despite stomping around for 2 hours I failed to see any Large Blue. Disappointed to see several 'desecrated' anthills (if that's not too strong a word!) but interesting to see them in the landscape. Daneway Banks: Ringlet 5, Meadow Brown 5, Marbled White 9, Small Heath 10, Large Skipper 5, Common Blue 9 (mostly worn females).
Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

Hi Michael
Agreed definitely DGF all spots on upper forewing in a straight line barring one near trailing edge. Superb photo by the way and enjoy your hols. I'm expecting to see some great photos when you get back.

Essex Bertie. Don't worry about the anthills with regard to Large Blue although it's a shame if they've been bashed. From speaking to the wardens at Collard Hill the ants that the large Blue use as a host Myrmica sabuleti don't actually make anthills but purely live underground. Apparently at Collard Hill the ants cover over 90% of the hillside underground.
Cheers Paul

Post by Essex Bertie »

Paul Wetton wrote:Essex Bertie. Don't worry about the anthills with regard to Large Blue although it's a shame if they've been bashed. From speaking to the wardens at Collard Hill the ants that the large Blue use as a host Myrmica sabuleti don't actually make anthills but purely live underground. Apparently at Collard Hill the ants cover over 90% of the hillside underground.
Thanks Paul. That's important enough information to put on the main webpage to try and stop this needless behaviour???! You could see the stick holes and pulling away on the south side, so it looked quite purposeful.
Cheers

Return to “Sightings”