Glanville Fritillary at Wrecclesham, Surrey?

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
P.J.Underwood

Re: Glanville Fritillary at Wrecclesham, Surrey?

Post by P.J.Underwood »

There were about a dozen very fresh ones there today. They had only been there since last Thursday at the longest.Because of the weather I suspect they emerged today.Someone must know the story-another release? If so,what next?
P.J.U.
David M

Post by David M »

P.J.Underwood wrote:There were about a dozen very fresh ones there today. They had only been there since last Thursday at the longest.Because of the weather I suspect they emerged today.Someone must know the story-another release? If so,what next?
P.J.U.
Bizarre.

This place needs to be kept monitored as it's fast turning into a latter day 'Jurassic Park' for long extinct butterflies.

You ask what next?

How about Marbled Fritillary or Mazarine Blue? :o
NickB

Post by NickB »

Jack Harrison wrote:Little doubt that it's Heath Frit. But how long has a colony been there? Another mystery.
Jack
Perhaps the same person(s) behind the Glanville's, might have that answer,...?
I wonder if there is suitable habitat around or if they have just been dumped, so to speak...?
N
Edit: It is just behind Birdworld, and close to Alice Holt Forest.....
http://www.birdworld.co.uk/
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
millerd

Post by millerd »

Will Heath Fritillaries accept alternatives to cow-wheat as a food plant? The plantains that their close relatives the Glanvilles eat, for example? There are plenty of these on the Wrecclesham site, clearly enough in the sort of succession to sustain the Glanvilles for nearly ten years.

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

David M wrote:You ask what next?

How about Marbled Fritillary or Mazarine Blue? :o
Talking of Marbled Fritillary, did anyone go to Finemere this year to look for larvae on the brambles? And has anyone been to look for adults yet - if they are surviving by themselves, you would expect them to be out early this year like everything else. If they appear again at exactly the same time as usual this year, that points strongly to an annual release.

Dave
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Probably too early for the Marbled Fritillary adults. I did see one there last year, on a day when the wood was crawling with Purple Emperors.
NickB

Post by NickB »

millerd wrote:Will Heath Fritillaries accept alternatives to cow-wheat as a food plant? The plantains that their close relatives the Glanvilles eat, for example? There are plenty of these on the Wrecclesham site, clearly enough in the sort of succession to sustain the Glanvilles for nearly ten years.
Dave
Thomas & Lewington state that is does use alternative food-plants (in the West, at least) and that these vary according to site. These include Ribwort Plantain, Germander Speedwell and later instars, Foxglove on Exmoor...It also states that other plants may be tackled, but does not say which....Like many species, it seems capable of surviving on many foodplants......
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

I have heard reports of them feeding on Plantain in Kent so quite likeloy they could use the same food plant there if it's present.

I was thinking that I would never see a Heath Fritillary this year now I've moved to Hampshire, but I might be in with a shout yet! :)

Were the Heath Fritillaries in amongst the Dasies? I never actually did that well for the Glanvilles in that area, much preferring the vicinity of the lake. Actually I never saw them in the dasies, though I was there at dawn and dusk.

THey would be very late for Heath Fritillaries however. They've been on the wing for ages in other areas...
David M

Post by David M »

FISHiEE wrote:
THey would be very late for Heath Fritillaries however. They've been on the wing for ages in other areas...
Maybe they've been reared at home and only just released.
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

This is what I think.Yesterday they were very fresh and all in one area.Today they had dispersed and were difficult to find.
p.J.U.
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

I popped into Wrecclesham this afternoon whilst still a little sun to see what the situation was.There were many marbled whites,small skippers,and meadow browns.There was no sign of any Heath Frits.,but it was cool and windy.I found a small,heavily spotted glanville which could be the last.I have someone who will verify the Heath frits.This site will be burning off methane for a long time,so should remain undisturbed.
P.J.U.
Attachments
A friendly small skipper
A friendly small skipper
Underside view-in the cold-glanville
Underside view-in the cold-glanville
Side view taken in the wind-glanville
Side view taken in the wind-glanville
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Whilst out the other day trying to photograph the underside of the Heath Frits at Wrecclesham sandpits,we came across this little beauty.There were two of them and they are not in danger of being trodden on.
Attachments
Bee orchid at Wrecclesham
Bee orchid at Wrecclesham
Heath Frit,at Wrecclesham
Heath Frit,at Wrecclesham
Heath Frit at Wrecclesham
Heath Frit at Wrecclesham
tmhotten

Post by tmhotten »

The Glanvilles are not restricted to Wrecclesham Quarry. Pete probably remembers a picture I sent to the Hants BC website about 4 years ago that I had taken a couple of miles across the border into Hampshire that we eventually identified as a Glanville - I didnt see the underside. This was found on the Wey riverside but had undoubtably flown from Wrecclesham as they have since been seen further west at Bentley Station Meadow. I didnt find any this year when I visited on the 14th, just my first Marbled White of the year but I disturbed a large dark butterfly from an animal dropping that headed off at high speed into Alice Holt Forest. Does any other large, dark nymphalid exhibit this behaviour apart from Purple Emperors as it seems rather early for iris?

Terry Hotten
Susie

Post by Susie »

BUMP!

Does anyone know when the Glanvilles are likely to be out at Wrecclesham? I am guessing at perhaps another week yet as we are a bit behind last year.
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

I was there this week last year and there were several then that had clearly been out a while so guess there's a chance there might have been some about though this year some species seem to be a few weeks later than last year now so might be a bit early still.
David M

Post by David M »

They're just starting to emerge on the Isle of Wight so I reckon it won't be more than another few days before the early ones appear at Wrecclesham. I wonder if any Heath Fritillaries will turn up there this year too.
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Not sure how the emergence was last year relative to Isle of Wight? I think a few weeks after they were first sighted on IOW perhaps?

Heath Fritillaries would be nice though being used to seeing then in the woodlands of Blean it seems a bit alien to me to have them in such an open location!
Susie

Post by Susie »

Thank you all. :D

Looks like a trip to Wrecclesham could be in order in the next few weeks!
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Looks like a trip to Wrecclesham could be in order in the next few weeks!
This is just a silly test after some computer hiccups (I am embarrassed to say self inflicted). I am not expecting to see Glanvilles in Scotland next week.

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

Talking of Glanvilles, surely they ought to be emerging some time soon at Sand Point, near Weston Super Mare?

Return to “Sites”