Black Hairstreak at Whitecross Green Wood

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Philzoid

Black Hairstreak at Whitecross Green Wood

Post by Philzoid »

This weekend I'm planning to go to Whitecross Green Wood in the hope of seeing Black Hairstreak, both of which will be firsts for me. The weather forecast is for some sunny spells and max of 18C. Anyone out there like to rate my chances?
David M

Re: Black Hairstreak at Whitecross Green Wood

Post by David M »

Philzoid wrote:This weekend I'm planning to go to Whitecross Green Wood in the hope of seeing Black Hairstreak, both of which will be firsts for me. The weather forecast is for some sunny spells and max of 18C. Anyone out there like to rate my chances?
I had the same idea but have opted to go to see Large Blues at Collard Hill.

I daresay there'll still be a few about, but WGW is a largeish place and Black Hairstreaks aren't known for their precociousness.

I'd rather go for 90% chance of Large Blue than 50% chance of BH.

Still, I wish you luck. It might be an idea to PM one of the members who know this area so that they can guide you to the best spots.
Philzoid

Re: Black Hairstreak at Whitecross Green Wood

Post by Philzoid »

Thanks David
I suspected that spotting Black Hairstreak is not like turning up to Denbies in July hoping to see a Chalkhill Blue but one must try. I'll have my daughters in tow and am hoping that because it's father's day it won't be dad, "can we go now" after only half an hour. This looks like it's going ot be a 'long' stake out.

WRT Collard Hill: it's a bit further to hike and I've got to watch my petrol spend. However, I have been there on two previous occasions: once on the 19th June 2008 and the other on the 22nd in 2009. Both trips were rewarded with good sightings but I seem to remember 2008 being better. In 2009 there were lots of cumulus clouds shielding the sun, and under those conditions the butterflies just 'disappeared'. After the sum came back out it would take at least 2 minutes before the butterflies would emerge from their hiding places take to the wing, never settling, until the next cloud encroached and they went back to their disappearing trick again. In the end I did manage to get an open wing shot but there were others who didn't have that luck.

I may be jumping to conclusions too easily based on a couple of visits, but in my experience I think good weather is key to getting good views and photo's of this butterfly. Another thing is to look out for egg laying females which are more likely to be found along the top of the reserve I think.

Return to “General”