Turkish butterflies ID help

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
legless2007

Turkish butterflies ID help

Post by legless2007 »

Hi

I'm a bit stuck on a few butterflies I saw in Butterfly Valley near Ölü Deniz on the South Western Coast of Turkey last week. Can anyone help? I do apologise that the photos aren't the best but I was travelling light and only had a point and shoot with me.

2 shots of the same blue, very blue upperside.

080611-54 by legless2007, on Flickr

080611-55 by legless2007, on Flickr

I think this is a Small Skipper?

080611-30 by legless2007, on Flickr

same butterfly, bad lighting

080611-33 by legless2007, on Flickr

Thanks in advance for your help. I have to get better at my blues ID!

Jo
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Turkish butterflies ID help

Post by Padfield »

The blue is a female Loew's blue, Plebejus loewii. If you have Tolman, you'll find it figured on p.121.

I can't say much more about it because I've never seen one myself. :mrgreen:

Nice find!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
legless2007

Post by legless2007 »

Fabulous, thank you! Ah yes looking in Tolman I see now.

Thank you so much for your help.

Jo
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I missed your comment that it had a very blue upperside when I first looked at the pictures. So make it a male Loew's blue! The surface makes the underside look very brown...

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
legless2007

Post by legless2007 »

padfield wrote:I missed your comment that it had a very blue upperside when I first looked at the pictures. So make it a male Loew's blue! The surface makes the underside look very brown...

Guy
yes it was blue enough for a male. Bright sun + point and shoot = dodgy colour balance sometimes.

It (and others) were settling on a damp patch next to a stream, often in the middle of a line of busy black ants. Fascinating to watch.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Jo,

I have a very strong feeling that the skipper is a female Levantine Skipper based upon the shape and length of the forewing. Although I only have limited experience with Turkish golden skippers, upon first seeing a Levantine female the thing that immediatly struck me was how different the shape of the wing was compared to the other skippers. That kink in the leading edge of the forewing is not mentioned in the books, but it serves to emphasise just how long that wing is. Here is one from last year.
Female Levantine Skipper
Female Levantine Skipper
Vince
legless2007

Post by legless2007 »

thanks Vince, yes I wasn't sure whether it was Levantine. I think the ones I saw at Kaya Koy were. I can see the kink you mention.

I read your Turkey report before I went, wonderful report, I was almost bursting with excitement after reading it!
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

legless2007 wrote:thanks Vince, yes I wasn't sure whether it was Levantine. I think the ones I saw at Kaya Koy were. I can see the kink you mention.

I read your Turkey report before I went, wonderful report, I was almost bursting with excitement after reading it!
I nearly asked whether you managed to get out there, as you were clearly in the locality. I'm pleased you found it of use. Would it be possible to have a small report or a few photos? (either on this thread or on a new thread in the Overseas Forum).

Vince
legless2007

Post by legless2007 »

Vince Massimo wrote:
legless2007 wrote:thanks Vince, yes I wasn't sure whether it was Levantine. I think the ones I saw at Kaya Koy were. I can see the kink you mention.

I nearly asked whether you managed to get out there, as you were clearly in the locality. I'm pleased you found it of use. Would it be possible to have a small report or a few photos? (either on this thread or on a new thread in the Overseas Forum).

Vince
Yes I can do a report, and post some photos. It was such a good trip.

Return to “Overseas”