Processing Help Required Please

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Processing Help Required Please

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi all,

I have 4 or 5 images, which I want to use in one of my reports, that require manipulation. From my perspective they are the wrong way round and ideally I would like to have them "flipped" to create a mirror image. I expect this is a very easy process for those that have the necessary software (which I don't).
Could anyone offer to receive these high resolution images and then e-mail the processed ones back to me please?

I attach a low resolution version of one of the images to give you an idea of what is involved.
Orange Tip larva in the process of pupation
Orange Tip larva in the process of pupation
Thanks,

Vince
Ph1l3e

Re: Processing Help Required Please

Post by Ph1l3e »

Photoshop - image flip
Attachments
Image flip
Image flip
IMG_9587-01G.jpg (87.9 KiB) Viewed 591 times
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Suggest you download IrfanView from http://www.irfanview.com/ (freeware). It will do image flip and loads of other useful things!
Mike
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Thanks for the replies Ph1I3e and Mike and welcome to the site, both of you.

Mike - I have downloaded IrfanView and it is fantastic. For those of us that cannot justify (or understand) Photoshop, it adds some more options to my existing system and I managed to work it first time. Can I also add that I have noticed that whilst you have only made 3 posts to the site so far, all of them have been to offer useful advice, so special thanks from me and other users of UKB.
I recommend IrfanView
I recommend IrfanView
I will be posting a revision to my Orange Tip (Early Stages) report soon.

Vince
Last edited by Vince Massimo on Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Vince Massimo wrote:Thanks for the replies Ph1I3e and Mike and welcome to the site, both of you.

Mike - I have downloaded IrfanView and it is fantastic. For those of us that connot justify (or understand) Photoshop, it adds some more options to my existing system and I managed to work it first time. Can I also add that I have noticed that whilst you have only made 3 posts to the site so far, all of them have been to offer useful advice, so special thanks form me and other users of UKB.
Agreed - many thanks and welcome Mike!

All the best,

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Many thanks for the welcome! I'm now retired so it's nice to feel useful - also it's been a wet afternoon, so good for a bit of web browsing!! I've been in this game for a long time and have a photo collection plus technical tips on my website (see Profile)
Ph1l3e

Post by Ph1l3e »

Equally thanks for the welcome. Photoshop - use of my trade, gladly would have flipped the hi-res versions should you have required. Regards Phil
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

If you want to go beyond IrfanView then the 'open source' GIMP (image manipulation program) can do most of what Photoshop does, for free.
It's not as polished as Photoshop but is developing all the time and there is also a RAW converter called UFRaw. For more info and to download (free), visit http://www.gimp.org/ The first time it loads, it's very slow but it gets better in subsequent use.
Mike
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Thanks for the offer Phil, but I am very happy with my new toy :D . I can now make the necessary changes at my leisure.

Mike, I appreciate the extra information, but I only have simple needs and think I will stick to my present system.

I am now just posting the revisions to my Orange Tip (Early Stages) report and you will see why I wanted to flip some images in order to keep all of the subjects on the same side of the stick.

Vince

Return to “Photography”